1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

86 XJ700 - Thanks to all and couple more questions

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by 78dave, Feb 19, 2018.

1. 78dave

78dave New Member

First thank you to all here that provided help. Many don't know it and others that I interacted with were extremely helpful. I could not have finished this project without this forum. I took it out for a short shakedown cruise and it runs great and is a strong ride. Work done:

Carbs rebuilt including a newly welded float post
    New Brake lines
    Master Cylinder rebuild
    New tires
    Valves adjusted - new gasket and seals
    YICS ports cleaned
    Brake Calipers rebuilt with new pads
    changed all fluids and oil filter
    Cleaned tank
    Synched and Colortuned - several times

Two issues - still struggling to get air out of new brakes and calipers. I have done all the tricks, but still get air to show up. I have the lever tied back right now to see if anything comes up the lines. Seems like it is getting better, but very slow. process. At one point I thought I had it figured out as the adjustment screw was not adjusted on the lever. As I tightened it the better the pressure held. Problem was it was applying pressure to the calipers and dragging the brakes. I backed off the adjustment screw and the lever went soft. I have R&R'd the master cylinder and see nothing out of place. The seals are forward and it does pump up the brakes fine, just not getting a full hard brake lever. I would guess some free play, but not half the lever movement. Any help here is appreciated. As I read it is tough to get all the air out.

One oddity: I reverse bleed the brakes and noticed brake fluid coming out of the master cylinder plunger. Seems impossible for this ti happen unless fluid is getting either past the the seals or the plunger is moving too far towards the lever. The clip is in place and I rotated it to make sure. No way that plunger can come back?

I ordered new tires from Dennis Kirk. They spec'd a 110 for the front and I went with that. The clearance to the fender is tight so I lifted it slightly with washers under the support. I'm I correct that even with a 100 front tire the clearance between the fender and tire is close It does not like the gravel in my driveway. Otherwise it is fine.

Thanks

2. Paul Howells

Paul Howells Active Member

There should be no fluid coming past the plunger. Sounds like that is where your issue is. You will not be able to keep pressure if there is a leak anywhere in the system. I reverse bled my xj700n brakes a couple months ago without any issues.

k-moe likes this.
  3. Oldmansin

Oldmansin Member

I bought one of the vacuum bleeders, and it's awesome. I just keep pulling fluid and topping of the master until I get no air. Gives me a firm lever every time.

4. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

Yes, I run a stock tire and it is very close. Couldn't get my sausage fingers between the tire and fender if I had to.

5. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

I agree that your brake problem is probably with the master cylinder. I would pull it apart and check for nicks or tears in the seals. Also, it wouldn’t be the first time a seal was installed backwards. I did everything you did and had firm brakes in about 15 minutes. By the way, after I got the brakes bled and pretty firm I tapped the brake lever lightly several times and did get a few small bubbles. After doing this several times I got no more bubbles. I just figured that there was some residual air in the master cylinder from the rebuild.

Chitwood likes this.