1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Engine Serial Number

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Ingulfr, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Ingulfr

Ingulfr New Member

Hi there, I recently moved to MN, and they want the engine serial number before I can register it with the state. My previous state did not require this, and as such, it isn't on the title. I have tried looking online and all I can find is "on the right side stamped into the engine" or "partially obstructed from view by the front engine mounting bracket". I have searched the entire engine over several times over the course of a few days, and I can't seem to locate it. I'm sure I'm just being stupid and can't see it for some reason, but if anyone could post a picture with the location circle, that would be great help.

1985 MaximX700XJ

Thanks.

Edit: bike info

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That is unusual since federal requirements are that the frame number (VIN) is used for registration (though this was not always the case, and some states did continue to register with engine numbers for a while after the requirement was put into place). To the best of my knowledge, vehicle that it transferred from another sate should be registered with the VIN, and not the engine number, since that is what would be used to check if it were stolen. I'd ask someone further up the DMV chain of command before proceeding further.

The engine number is the short version of the VIN that is on the frame (for your year of XJ), and it can be found on the right side, stamped into a pad near the top-rear of the clutch cover.

TECH TOPIC: Model ID and VIN's

3. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Sounds like someone is yanking your chain.
    Do you have a different DMV office you can go to?

k-moe likes this.
  4. hogfiddles

Engine number is directly above the clutch cover, on the top case--- big rectangular-ish area with the number stamped in it. If there is no number there, it is a factory replacement. Personally, I'd LOVE To have an X engine with no number-- to go with my frame that has no number!

5. Ingulfr

Ingulfr New Member

k-moe, I've looked through tech topic several times, and while it's great for VIN's, I can't find anywhere that it lists for finding the engine serial number.

Both of you, thanks, I'll look closer above the clutch cover next time I get to it, unfortunately it's not at my place right now, so it may be a day or two.

hogfiddles, I'll definitely be going to a different location next time, as the other one was near my work... 30 min away.

6. k-moe

It's in there, but is only a very small part of the article, which is why I and Hogfiddles told you where to look. I linked the tech article so you could decode the engine number into the full VIN if needed. I'm wondering if the DMV wants the engine number to see if the engine was swapped or not. Are motorcycles taxed based on engine size there?

7. hogfiddles

Something has to be raising an alarm there---

8. hogfiddles

IMG_1786.JPG

Your engine number is stamped in there....

9. Ingulfr

Ingulfr New Member

that image should help massively, though, I don't recall seeing any flat area like that... hopefully either I'm blind, or the DMV was lying to me, because I don't know what to tell them if it's not a factory part.

10. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Then it would be a "matching numbers" bike........imagine how the DMV would handle that!

Ingulfr, send me a note via e-mail (info@xj4ever.com) and I'll send you an illustrated guide on how and where to look for all of the bike and engine ID numbers.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  11. Plug

Plug Active Member

When I got the safety inspection of my 82 Seca done, the inspector was extremely concerned and had me extremely ticked off....said bike would never be able to be titled since it had the short version stamped on the frame, and that is what he had to write on the inspection slip. The title had the full number on it. The sticker on the left side of the head that has the full number on it had part wore off from the control cables rubbing it over the years, even though even if it were there, he still couldn't use it. Said I was going to have to go to the hwy patrol and get them to sign off, etc........went to title it and the DMV never even mentioned it....I will go else where from now on.........doesn't help in this situation, but I feel better being able to b**** about it for a sec.

Ingulfr likes this.
  12. hogfiddles

That's exactly why I'd love to find a numberless engine:)

13. Ingulfr

Ingulfr New Member

So far as I can tell, this is where you guys are telling me to look.

I have come across a yam1aa0697 on a sticker under the tank referring to noise control, though I think this has to do with the frame and engine.

Attached Files:

14. TheCrazyGnat

TheCrazyGnat Well-Known Member

Looks like you might have what hogfiddles is looking for!

15. Ingulfr

Ingulfr New Member

Well that would explain why I'm having such a hard time finding it, though I'm not sure what to tell the DMV if they ask for it again now.

16. k-moe

They'd send you to the sheriffs office for an inspection, and a state-issued VIN.

17. Ingulfr

Ingulfr New Member

So, just to be certain, the last six of the VIN are the bike serial number, which are separate from the engine serial number, correct?

18. Ingulfr

Ingulfr New Member

Update, Serial number found! If you look at the image I provided, you can see a flat plate behind the clutch cable bracket, that's where it's hiding. Thank you all for the help.

Plug and TheCrazyGnat like this.
  19. hogfiddles

Since you have an X. You have to look back deeper. There's another spot that has the number. I'll take a pic of mine tomorrow

20. hogfiddles

oops....just saw you found it. cool