1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Funny thing happened on the way to the harbor

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by dkavanagh, Jul 31, 2017.

1. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

I'm having a really hard time coming up with XJ550R sales to show the insurance guy in the morning. Though, my approach will be "I don't want it totaled, let's work it out".

2. dkavanagh

Time to order some parts! I suppose that went as well as it could have. $922 for me to put into the bike.
    Thanks for all the support!
    FWIW, the insurance guy (who rides also) said if the vehicle is over 8 years old, it doesn't need a salvage title and all the inspection nonsense, but we didn't end up totaling my bike, in part because he couldn't really find a value to compare with.

3. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Yaaay!

Interesting about the "over 8yrs old" statement....I'd like to know more about that tidbit

Wintersdark likes this.
  4. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

That's great news!

5. dkavanagh

so, that's about $500 sent Len's way today! About 200+ was for stuff I didn't need for repairs, but will improve the bike, so win, win!

6. dkavanagh

In case anybody wants to follow along. Here's some damage I need to repair.
    IMG_20170802_214940769.jpg The grip, obviously.. Have some Royal Enfield grips I was going to put on anyway. The clutch lever, from Len w/ new o-ring. The turn signal is really cracked. Thankfully, I had a new one ready to go on.
    IMG_20170802_214950657.jpg The oil pump cover (which covers the ignition pickups) is scuffed. The bike is supposed to have bright aluminum ones, so I've picked up 2 very nice ones from Len w/ gaskets and new screws that my #2 JIS screwdriver won't mangle. The shift lever is bent. New one w/ new rubber bit on the way from Len. Foot peg scuffed.. nbd.. leaving that for now.

Other than the extra oil pump cover, I also picked up the aftermarket windscreen I've been wanting to put on that super nice cowling. I'll take that all off to get at the turn signal and install the windscreen and brand new black trim that's on my bench in a bag.

Then, there's the exhaust. It's functional, but I recall some ticking under the bike. I will yank that muffler off and probably use a ratchet strap to get the header in line, carefully. Then, I have an e-bay sourced muffler that's in *much* better condition which I'll install.

New parts == good times!

MattiThundrrr and Wintersdark like this.
  7. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Good to hear that your story will have a happy ending. Have you got another bike so you don't have to miss the riding season?

8. dkavanagh

I should have parts by Saturday and be riding later that day! (if all goes well).

9. dkavanagh

Can I just say, Len is the best! I only wanted to pay for regular priority mail and hoped I might get parts on Saturday. I get a box from Len TODAY and it's Priority 2-day! Amazing!

Stumplifter likes this.
  10. Wintersdark

Wintersdark Well-Known Member

This is such an issue.

A coworker of mine - the guy with the SV650 I posted about previously - he had someone try to steal his bike, and smashed the ignition early in the spring, just at the very start of riding season.

Insurance covered the damage completely, but it took the shop 3 months to fix his bike. 3 months! Guy lost the entirety of spring's riding time waiting for his bike to be fixed. Even if you get good insurance coverage, that doesn't mean things are fine.

I've known several decidedly bad drivers who seem indifferent to the harm they cause that way in low speed accidents "Oh, whatever, my insurance will cover it." Sure, it will cover the financial loss, but it still screws with people's lives =/

Awesome! Glad to hear you'll be riding again soon!

11. dkavanagh

yea, nobody needs this little sub-plots added to their lives.

Wintersdark likes this.
  12. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I got rear ended in my 2005 Honda Civic SE (sporty little black two door - 5 speed manual) several years back by a young woman who was looking at her cell phone instead of the 4 way stop sign. First thing she said when she got out of her car was not "I'm sorry" but rather "Where is my cell phone"? It was on her dashboard up by the windshield. Didn't "lob" there from the seat....

Her insurance covered the damage with no issues. It was still really inconvenient. Body shop did a nice job, but it is never quite the same.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    Wintersdark likes this.
  13. dkavanagh

A friend of mine had a nice Civic SI hatchback he loved and it got rear ended. Couldn't find another one to replace it.. but, I'm trying to get him on the XJ bandwagon.

14. dkavanagh

So, there's a sound. I heard this on the way back from the accident. I've done a bunch of little repairs and it's ready to rid, but...
    I don't hear it if I run the bike in 1st or 2nd on the center stand. If I drive on the road, I hear it, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. It's kind of a rattly sound. Since I don't hear it on the center stand, makes me thing it's only under load. However, if I decelerate, I hear it also. Almost sounds external. It seems like it's not muffled enough to be from inside the engine casing, but who knows. I'll strap on the go-pro and record it.

15. Wintersdark

welcome to the wonderful and exciting world of hard to diagnose exhaust rattles! They're the best!

16. dkavanagh

Well, the exhaust did take a hit. Small kink in the header and muffler resting 2 inches out from where it started. I was afraid to crank the throttle with that sound. Just ate, so about to get the gopro out and record it.

17. dkavanagh

OK, here's what I'm hearing: You'll have to deal with the excellent view of my calf and sneaker since I clipped to the rear peg mount.
    my wife and daughter waving as well (she's leaving for the arm a week from Monday)!

18. dkavanagh

I know, I know!
    Exhaust was pushed out a couple of inches. The mount for it bent, and that's what kept the center stand from touching the chain. It's the chain on the center stand that makes the noise! At least I know and it's not expensive!

Wintersdark and Stumplifter like this.
  19. Wintersdark

Yeah, that definitely has an external metal rattle sound. As it's only happening under load it's pretty much certainly exhaust.

Edit: obviously not that certainly! Missed the hearing it on deceleration too >.<

Checked all the mounting hardware and joins? Any wiggle in your headers?

If your mufflers will slip off, take em off and shake them. It's pretty constant, rather than rpm specific, so that makes me think it's not frequency/harmonic related and instead is just something loose in the muffler.

20. Wintersdark

Well, never mind the above! So it didn't happen on the center stand because the rear was hanging at full extension.

I didn't realise the 550 was chain driven, didn't even consider that :(