1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Music is nice...

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by MattiThundrrr, Dec 10, 2016.

1. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Due to a massive hijack of 81550Seca's thread in technical chat, I have decided to start a music themed thread. So, what do you like? Not like? What do you play? What do you miss now that you've sold? Who have seen, where have you been? No holds barred, admit your secret crush on Bieber, confess that you saw hasselhoff live! If you post polyester disco pics, expect ridicule!

2. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

3. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Nah...... The other thread was more fun

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

5. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

. . . with bourbon.

My bad, I noticed the avatar in 81550SECA's thread and had to mention something.

So Matti, are you a Minutemen fan? Mike Watt is one of my many bass playing inspirations.

I like music as much as I do my Maxim - get yourself comfy as this may be awhile.

Started on bassoon for three years, the last year was when the 'music' thing really clicked inside of me. The funny thing is I didn't recognize the magic moment until about a decade ago. The director, Mr. Bill was a competent trombonist who played in an avant-garde jazz group in Milwaukee (another recently discover fact), he also was just an all around good guy. For our final concert one of our songs was Hey Jude. This was 8th grade band mind you, so Hey Jude may have sounded like Old Mac Donald to a casual listener . . . . But for me it was much more.

We had rehearsed and rehearsed and the song was coming together rather nicely. I hope most everyone is familiar with the song, it was a rather large hit for the Beatles and had seen quite a bit of airplay. Anyways at the end of the song with the "nah, nah, nah naaas" and McCartney belting out Judy, Judy, Judy the true driving part of that section is the pulsing eighth note bass line underneath. The same bass part assigned to the bassoon in eight grade concert band. so one day at rehearsal we were running through the song and we got to the end part and the skies opened up and that 'magic' happened, I felt the music, I wasn't just reading notes on a page. I felt it sooooo much that I had to stand up and honk out those driving eight notes. Now bassoon's really aren't conducive to standing and playing, especially with the seat strap I was using, but that didn't stop me, cause I was living the song! In reflection I should have been embarrassed, some dorky adolescent standing up by himself, blowing eighth notes whilst the rest of the band probably didn't have a clue as to what just happened to me. MUSIC had just entered my life.

I switched to bari-sax in high school concert band, moving to bass sax in the symphonic band. Picked up the bass guitar for jazz band the last two years, Stompin' at the Savoy made me realize I wasn't that good at bass. Lots of practice, listening and inspirations kept me going. Country, traditional blues, garage band rock, biker rock, progressive rock, experimental, new age, classical orchestra, swing, and concert bands playing at assisted living centers as well as live theater. I have covered a lot of genres even laid down some tracks for a friends rap group. Playing music, seeing live performances that are played with integrity and heart imparts to me the same feeling that we get after rebuilding a set of carbs, getting them dialed in and going for that first ride down an open winding road.

Influences are far and wide and continuely growing. The trinity of bass; McCartney, Entwistle, Bruce was the beginning, that then spread out to others and their influences, Allan Woody (Gov't Mule not the director) being a good example of a launching pad into (bass) parts unknown. He was into everyone from Bootsie Collins to Flea. Solo bassist, Edgar Meyer, Stanley Clarke, Jaco, Michael Manring and ensemble bassist who just keep it low and stay out of treble like John McVie and Willie Weeks all different styles and all enjoyable. Even non-bass playing musicians influence me but my heart is certainly deeply rooted in the bass clef.

Sadly in the last two years we bought a run down farm, moved 4 hours away from my 'band mates' to a rather isolated location and have been struggling to find a decent job. Happily a month ago I landed a decent job, and happily I really enjoy the run down farm and challenges (even when it is overwhelming) that comes with a property that has been so neglected . . . . my instruments are getting dusty. :( Even my wife commented about the 'missing-link' in my life.

So to complete the circle. . . . as mentioned earlier it was about a decade ago that I realized what REALLY happened to me in that eight grade concert band that fateful day. I did a search and located Mr. Bill about 5 years ago and invited myself over to thank him for being The Director who selected The Song that made me Find Music. I rode my Maxim over to his house! I brought a variety of cd's of my recent band projects to him, he laughed at the standing bassoonist story and truly appreciated that I took the time to find him and share with him my love of music. We stayed in touch loosely since then. Mr. Bill had battled with MS for two decades and passed last year, I am thankful for him.

My experience in the pit orchestra for Chess: The Musical is an epic tale all itself and my fingers are tired so I'll save that for part 2. I like playing and listening to live music, recordings are valid also, but that one time captured performance slowly losses its luster when listened to repeatedly. But it is funny how when you dust off an album that hasn't been spun in 30 years and your eyes widen as you recall the beauty of that first listen all over again! I feel that any art that is performed with integrity is something to be appreciated and acknowledged as a gift from the performer to the audience.

MattiThundrrr likes this.
  6. hogfiddles

Paul, I get it--

I'm a band director, grew up with musician parents. My undergrad concentration is low-brass, fluent on all. Masters' concentration is 5-string banjo and Appalachian Dulcimer.

I totally GET the "really FEEL the music" thing, and am ALWAYS trying to get my students to that point. Only then does the performance take on a whole new dimension. It's so much more than just black ink on paper, intonation and sounds. 100% accurate is one thing, but to give it the extra dimension makes it something powerful, and until someone reaches that point and feels the music reach down inside and grab hold of the heart, they'll never understand the depth and meaning it can achieve.

Dave F
    -Band Director
    -Music Teacher
    -Free-lance Low-Brass performance
    -Builder, fine handcrafted banjos, dulcimers, mandolins
    -repairs
    -Pit Orchestra Director
    -etc.....

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    Stumplifter likes this.
  7. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Haha, Stumpy! My brother played bassoon in high school band... we called it the burping bed post!
    My music life began with classical piano training for a decade or more as a child. I still remember the nun who taught me... she took me to her church where I played the antique pipe organ... Phantom of the Opera rumbling through massive pipes ignited my love for bass.
    I played baritone (mini tuba) and valve trombone (cross between trumpet and trombone). I got stuck with those cuz some nerd actually showed up for the first day of class and usurped my rightful place as bass player! I joined HS band for 2 reasons: cute girls, and a pretty much unsupervised trip to Florida with said cute girls. Apparently we competed and won some sort of competition too... I swear I was there, but Daytona in March usually has a teenage amnesia epidemic! My music moment came in a song called Baritone Boogie where my section carried the song with a pretty rocking blues progression.
    Later I had a vintage Rickenbacher 4 string that turned me into a gawd of THUNDRRR! That thing through a distortion or overdrive pedal could shake down the house! I miss old Orville (get it? Orville Rickenbacher?). Influences include Lemmy, Bruce Dickinson, Flea, Descendants, the Ramones, Clif Burton.
    I have seen more bands than I can count, from Maiden to Motorhead, Willie Nelson to the Supersuckers, a couple of versions of the Misfits, The Tragically Hip, Subhumans, Screeching Weasel, the Dwarves, The Queers, and so on! But the greatest of ever will always be THE RAMONES! Like a religious experience! Long live rock!

Stumplifter likes this.
  8. painter

painter Active Member

That brings memories of the high school band I played in. I was a drummer in the marching band. We had an ex marine teacher that ran the band like the marine chore. He did a great job and we had one of the best bands around. I can remember him yelling, We are a marching band!!! Not walking!! Bring your knees to a 90 degree! Sometimes I see the marching bands on tv and think, ya, right. Walking and shuffle their feet along. The music I like to listen to is from the 60's 70's and 80's. the Eagles, my favorite. Can not stand rap crap, whining, crying country music.

9. hogfiddles

Painter .... We marched high-step, as well---- always took top trophies. Where did you go-- I was ESHS Class of '83

Dave

10. Stumplifter

I did not take marching band as seriously as that. I was a bit more like Matti.
    When we had to wear those two foot high fuzzy hats, suits and chaps, you would find me and Rick Johnson behind the school bus smoking a joint before marching at half time during the football game. And we would be marching halftime at half time . . . . whoa dude! o_O
    Damn trombonist were a bad influence on me!!! ;)

MattiThundrrr likes this.
  11. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I started music in 6th grade, wasn't really until Jazz band in high school when I made the connection to music. When you get to that point where you are "one with your instrument" and its more of an expression then a task you really get music and its power. I also did marching band all 4 years. Played piano in Jazz, trumpet/tuba/sax in concert/marching band. Also play guitar, keys, and most recently picked up drumming.

@Stumplifter, there are some great jams on your soundcloud. I haven't recorded anything in ~ 8years but here was the last group I was in. My buddy Norm and I wrote all these. https://myspace.com/raulmagner Yes, we had a myspace page.

Stumplifter likes this.
  12. painter

painter Active Member

Painter .... We marched high-step, as well---- always took top trophies. Where did you go-- I was ESHS Class of '83

Dave, I grew up north of Pittsburgh Pa. Went to Mars High School, Class of 1975.

13. hogfiddles

Other end of the state :) ESHS was East Stroudsburg (PA) High School-----go PMEA!! :D

14. Stumplifter

YES!

Wait a minute - you build instruments? Screw the carb clinic, I have rebuilt my own carbs with success. (Well at least after fixing the stuff I screwed up, next time will be easier :rolleyes:).

I want to build a mountain dulcimer! You need to start a new clinic. ;)

15. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Sign me up! I need a new axe.

16. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

That or have a jam night at the next clinic!

Stumplifter likes this.
  17. Lightcs1776

Lightcs1776 Active Member

And his little shop is pretty cool. Instruments in the works hanging from the ceiling, wood ready to be planed, and a really big coffee maker. Coffee is critical. Just one of the perks of attending his carb clinic. Grin.

Stumplifter likes this.
  18. Stumplifter

Coffee truly is critical. I used to play with a sax player who was a student at the Conservatory. His statement was that the caffeine helps your hearing, which is true, elevated blood flow helps the auditory system function better . . . . . I think. o_O

Coffee is like bourbon - one of those things that bring warmth and joy.

19. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Coffee, bourbon, and music bring warmth. Put em all together and you're on fire!

Stumplifter likes this.
  20. ColoradoDan

ColoradoDan Active Member

I like the weird coincidintiality that so many XJers share similar interests. There is a batch of us that are avid homebrewers, which makes sense considering the DIY hands on requirements for old Yamahas.

And I see a similar story in this thread to mine. High school band, then 20 something garage band, and later a couple recordings floating around the interweb.

Awesome to see similar stories.

Stumplifter likes this.