1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

removing broken bolts from 650 head

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by cruiserlover, Feb 1, 2018.

1. cruiserlover

cruiserlover Active Member

I am going to get a 650 maxim from a kid tomorrow.He was riding it everyday and noticed a lot of silicone put over the carb manifolds.Each hole has one, held on by 2 bolts.Usually they are about 1/4 inch thick and diamond shaped. He was going to replace all of them.While trying to remove some of the bolts he broke some of them off.He said he bought a tap and die tool but did not know how to use it.It has sat like this for 3 months.His plan was to buy another head, said it would be easier.Huh? That doesnt sound easier.I know seized fasteners are nearly impossible to get out.I havent even seen the bike yet, but i have envisioned the nightmare. I did a search in the diy here, got to page 15 and did not find posts about this problem. I sincerely hope he did not damage any of the expensive boots.I call them boots,may not be the right name.But they are expensive. I found a head for $15 on ebay.If for some reason I have to get a head, say he damaged it bad, then I would go ahead and replace the cylinder base gaskets,any and all orings and seals that come into play and the head gasket and valvecover gasket while i am at it. I know if the cylinder is off i should hone the cylinders before lowering it back down over the studs.I never understood the need.If i am going back with the same rings why would new hatchmarks be needed.I will check here to see what rings cost. All advice appreciated.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

If you have never removed a broken fastener, go to a machine shop to have it done (most good ones will do it with the head in place, but you'll have to remove the fuel tank and carbs. It will cost less than all the ancillary parts that you need to put on a used head.
    The job itself is not difficult, but it's easy for an inexperienced person to mess up and make it worse to complete.

jayrodoh likes this.
  3. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Don’t buy the cheap gaskets either, I did and they had clearance issues and I had to go get good ones and redo the whole job. Chacal xj4ever has the right stuff.

k-moe likes this.
  4. cruiserlover

I have removed a couple.But not very successful.

5. cruiserlover

I plan on buying everything from him.

6. k-moe

I gathered:
    Seized fasteners can always be removed, but the correct method will vary depending on the fastener in question, what the remaining portion of a broken fastener looks like, and the skill/ knowledge of the person doing the work.
    Some come out with candle wax and heat, others require a milling machine or EDM, and there is a lot of variety in-between those two bookmarks.
    Being in Denton is a big plus for you; lots of machine shops to get quotes from.

You could try dissolving the remainder of the bolts with alum, but it's a slow method, and requires that you can keep the alum solution warm. The upisde is that if you mess it up no damage will be done to the head.

7. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

If you are very lucky, you can sometimes find a set of boots in a parts pile on eBay. Sometimes they appear for pretty cheap when seller doesn't know what they have. Or when a breaker parts out an xj. There is a decent technique for refurbishing them using rtv and a bicycle inner tube as well. Not as good as new, but functional, and about 30x cheaper!

Chitwood likes this.
  8. cruiserlover

I went and got the bike today.the first of 2 I am going to get. This one is an 82 650. As usual I drove out in the middle of nowhere to a crummy trailerhouse that looked abandoned.A guy named zachery had it in the back of a truck bed. I plan on putting lots of pictures here.Its a disaster mostly. positives: he had the title, didnt get the previous owner to sign it.he said he would.I hope so because I couldnt wait around all day for that.2.the fender chrome is good, the lights all look good. that pretty much it.negatives: I dont have the title yet. he had the whole topend disassembled and laying in piles in the back of the truck bed, out in the elements. cambearings, bolts,nuts everywhere.I am not sure I have both cam chain guides. The pistons were exposed, have surface rust.I asked how long have they been uncovered."bout a week". I cant in writing explain what this place was like.But I expected to hear banjos playing any moment. The button to the start switch on the handlebar is gone.The ignition switch looks like someone drove a screwdriver into it and turned the ign switch that way. The mirrors were different, neither of them tightened.one sidecover is missing.the tires look brand new, but have not checked the wear dates. He did have a haynes manual to give me.He also gave me a cylinder head from some other 4 cylinder vehicle.Way smaller.I have no idea what it came off of. With the title if its squared away i have a rolling chassis.And potential bike once the entire motor is redone.Without the title i have a parts bike.This bike has a round headlight.I thought it would be square. Oh, the gastank has a big dent in it and the seat upholstery is ripped in the back. So, who wants to buy it from me? I got out of there and had no pigsquealing episode.

9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you can get it register it in vermont and then get a title

cruiserlover likes this.
  10. cruiserlover

Ive heard that before.have no idea how to do that

11. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

If the previous owner didn't sign the title, that's ok as long as NO ONE ELSE did either, and as long as there's no buyer name or signature. That would make the title open.

Then you get it, put your name and signature as the buyer.

Then I'm sure you'll have no trouble figuring out how to get the other signature that you need.

12. hogfiddles

WATCH IT, MISTER!!!! Ya'll 'r' gittin' mighty personal all of of a sudden
    IMG_0718.jpg

13. hogfiddles

Yeah... every day A LONG TIME AGO.
    I even would bet " it used to run perfect"

If you got cheap enough, and the title is still clear, then you got a good frame. Get a replacement engine and build your own bike. Otherwise, part it out and make some $ and find one in better condition to start with.

cruiserlover likes this.
  14. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

have local people do a vin check form then you mail the paperwork to VT dmv it is a searchable topic on this site. forms are online.

cruiserlover likes this.
  15. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

It's the 750s that have the square headlight. Glad to hear about your "Deliverance" from that situation. You must not have a purdy enuf mouth.

16. hogfiddles

For 1982 xj750 maxim, yes. In 1983, though, the 750 maxim had the same gauges and round headlight as the '82-83 650 maxim

17. k-moe

18. cruiserlover

thanks.

19. cruiserlover

Here are pictures.The other one I get in 5 days.It has nothing missing,but has sat for unknown years but under a cover.forgot to upload.I will be back

20. cruiserlover

pictures 20180204_145009.jpg

Attached Files: