1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Riding not for everyone?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by xj650maxim82, May 1, 2006.

1. xj650maxim82

xj650maxim82 Member

Guys as extremely gay as this sounds I just don't know if riding is for me. When I lived in Peru SA I drove a 650 dirt bike around town for 2 days and loved it. Zipped in and out of cars on the main roads and had a blast.

I've dreamed of having a motorcyle since I was young and finally got 2 of them within the last month a 650 maxim for $350 and an 01' ninja 250 for $700. I got the ninja fixed and back on the road the other day and honestly im scared half to death to ride it. Its hard for me to control and while half of me is having fun the other half can't wait to get off the dang thing. Im 6'2" and 220lbs but I cant hardly make that thing turn and riding it is just a harrowing situation for me.

I guess I'm just asking is this normal and will I just get over it or is riding just not for everyone?

2. xj650maxim82

xj650maxim82 Member

I'm 19 by the way so it's not that I'm old. It just kills me though because that was a big dream of mine to own my own motorcycle one day but now that I have one I'm scared to ride it. BTW I'm not scared easily either I autox my car all the time

3. DudeBozo

DudeBozo New Member

I would suggest finding a huge empty parking lot; on the weekends. Ride from your home, or where you keep the bike, to the lot and ride all around. Try tight turns, long sweeping turns and accident avoidance. Burn up a whole tank. The best place to get comfortable with a new bike is in the wide open. When I was 12 I moved up from a KX80 to a KX125, much more power than I was used to at the time. (I couldn’t even get on or off it without a stool) My father made me ride in a lot near our house for a whole month. By the time that month was over I was more than ready to ride in traffic, and even race. Take your time and get comfortable, don’t force yourself into anything that may get you in trouble.

Bottom line, have fun…

4. Robert

Robert Active Member

I expect the fear is a healthy realization of your mortality. It should help you keep focused and alive. Harness it by facing the fear and riding to gain the confidence and experience that will give you the control you need.

5. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

I can relate a bit in a different way. My whole life I wanted to fly. A little after I turned 30, I earned my private pilot's license and can fly a single engine plane all by my lonesome. The first several flights without an instructor around to cover my ass, it was more scary than rewarding. There was a time when I was wondering what the hell I'd just wasted all of my money on - this wasn't what I'd dreamed of. This wasn't soaring like eagles. This was hard work and planning and worrying about weather, and trying not to get shot down if I did something stupid.

But as others have said, a bit of practice brought a bit of confidence and now it's a whole different ball game - I can relax (a little) and actually enjoy flying now. Riding may just be the same for your.

Or it may not. No. Riding isn't for everyone. But I wouldn't say it's not for you just yet. You're obviously interested. You just need the skills and confidence. And yeah, a bit of fear is a perfectly healthy thing.

Good luck.

6. Hired_Goon

Hired_Goon Member

Every bike has it's own characteristics. No two bikes feel the same. When I swapped the front end on my bike a few weeks ago it totally changed the balance and handleing of the bike.

Took me a couple of days to get confident enough to throw it into the corners again.

After a few hundred miles you'll feel part of the bike.

One other point may be due to your size. Maybe the 250 Ninja is a bit small to feel comfortable on. If your hunched up in an uncomfortable position then it doesn't do the confidence any good at all.

As for the comment that you can hardly turn it, It makes me wonder if the bike has a problem in the steering. The only time I ever "turn" my bike is when I'm parking it. The rest of the cornering the bike takes care of. I know I must make some unconcious movements but after a while you become so comfortable with the bike that it seems to ride itself.

Give it another shot. get some more confidence and you won't look back.

7. Nick

Nick Member

How long ago was the zipping around Peru??
    By the way, you still are a youngster ( no offence ment ).
    In my opinion its good to hear your scared half to death, should keep you alive longer. Too many kids get on and go like stink and miss corners or hit other vehicles.
    I'm with DudeBozo, find a wide open place, learn to handle the machine, and keep your eyes and ears alert for what's going on around you.
    The fear will dissipate with experience gained as Robert stated.
    Bottom line is you have to decide if this is what you want to do, give it a chance and see how it goes!
    Goodluck

8. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    Go check out ninja250.net for your ninja 250 needs... I admin there so say hi to woot.

The other question - have you take a motorcycle safety course yet? That'll go a long way to help with your confidence.

If you have and still feel this way you might be right. It's ok to realize you don't enjoy it - at time it can be scarey and maybe it's not as thrilling as you thought it could be. Personally I don't see it that way, however, I understand someone feeling that way.

When I first started riding I wanted everyone to ride. Now I play devils advocate - I'll do anything to help you ride safely and enjoy the sport but I'm not about to tell anyone to go buy a bike anymore... my feelings have changed on the subject.

Anyhow - I hope for you that you can find the love for the sport that we have... if you haven't then yes - stepping down is by no means cowardice - it's smart. Much smarter than many people your age could hope to be.

Woot.

9. furyus

furyus Member

Shoot, I'm scared pretty much every time I ride, and I've been riding thirty years. Fear is a good thing.

Regards,
    Furyus

10. robista361

robista361 Member

Man, I admire your honesty! To me, starting anything new sucks.The first time I threw a leg over a motorcycle, ( which was about 25yrs ago) I was only 10 and crashed into my own house! Scared I was! I wasnt sure if I wanted a dirt bike any more. My dad thought that it would be better if I took my dirt bike in a much more open area. It helped greatly! Having an open area to practice helped me relax my locked elbows and wrists which is why all my turns took up so much space. It took about a full day of practice and falling and stauling to get an understanding, and a rythm of operating that little dirt bike. You have what a lot of beginners dont have, and thats respect. A motorcycle is not a toy. Its a machine, no matter how big or small that machine is, it can throw you like a bull. But having a little fear to me is a good thing, never loose that and you will always respect your bikes.So, find a nice place to practice, or a drivers safety course you can take, RELAX, start slow and work your way up as the confidence builds.You'll get there...And I think you will acknowlage once again, why you had a love of motorcycles. Good luck! and may the force be with you!

11. Altus

Altus Active Member

I'm surprised this hasn't been the focus yet.

TAKE AN MSF COURSE!!!

Do it now. Do not wait, do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
    This will be the single best thing you can do for yourself, your confidence, and your abilities as a driver - motorcycle especially, but autos included.

Now, at 6'2" and 220, you're not that great a fit for a Ninja 250.... the bike just wasn't intended for someone your size. If you haven't gotten the Maxim running yet, you should. It's designed differently - generally designed allowing for someone larger to sit more comfortably. I'm 6' and 260, and my Maxim is very comfortable.

The bikes are also vastly different in their inherent design - one's a sportsbike, the other's a UJM (or called a 'standard').
    Sport bikes are, by their nature - powerful, nimble, tight, and sometimes even twitchy. Their riding position, suspension, and gearing are all setup for performance.
    'Standards' are much more generic - also powerful, but in a different way, they're less performance oriented and more set to being a general-purpose motorcycle. Everything is setup more to a relaxed do-it-all kind of ride.

Try the Maxim - you might find it's just the style of motorcycle that's getting to you.

12. Joel07

Joel07 Member

I totally agree on the MSF course. I hadn't ever ridden anything (other than a bicycle :lol: ) before I took the MSF course, and wasn't 100% sure if I was going to like riding or not. But after the course, I was rearing to go out and get a bike and get on the road!!!

13. geebake

geebake Member

I'll chime in recommending the safety course as well. Best thing I ever did.

I agree that the Ninja is probably too small for you as well. I have no experience with that bike but it sure sounds smallish. Woot seems to have experience with them and should be able to give some good advice.

Different bikes do act very differently. When I bought my XJ650RJ, it had a set of handlebars from a Maxim 750 on it. Whenever I rode it, I really felt out of control. Swapping to the original bars completley solved the problem. I've determined that I'm not a cruiser kind of rider and that style just scares me. You may find that you are in a similar situation. I suspect that the dirt bike you rode had a much straighter set of bars and that style of control may suit you better.

Greg

14. woot

woot Active Member

Take this with the humour it was intended with:

Hang on - the 250 isn't much different to sit on than the old 600r. I'm 6' just about 6'1" and I fit fine. I have friends who are 6'4" who ride the 250 just fine. I've put several thousand miles on the 250 and had an absolute blast - best bang for your buck new bike there is out there.

The really nice thing about the 250 is that you can absolutely flog it and have a blast. Staying within the speed limits you'll have no problem keeping up with anyone. Above 80mph and it will get a little less throttle responsive. It will top out at about 102-105mph (although it might indicate as high as 110-115mph)... this was tested in a closed course. Also - people report fuel milages between 45-70mpg with the average around 55mpg.

I also know (met in person) a number of Iron Butters who'd done the IBR on the 250 - that's 11,000 miles in 11 days!!! Absolutely nutters.

One more praise for the 250 - it is about the most forgiving beginner bike out there. Very low weigh, good safe predicable power and relatively available parts. Despite the full plastics I wouldn't call the ninja a sport bike - it's a standard in wolves clothing. Decent brakes, stable geometry... a good beginner platform.

OP: If you do sell the 250 let me know - I know people who love them :D

I also mentioned the MSF... so there! ;)

Woot.

I'm very 250 defensive... I get carried away but I wanted to present the other side of the arguement to the people who might read this dismiss them outright.

15. geebake

geebake Member

Woot, very interesting. I had no idea that a 250 could perform like that. I bet it's dirt cheap to insure too. I wouldn't mind a scoot on one some time.

Greg

16. Joel07

Joel07 Member

I had thought about one for a commuter, cheapest new bike you can get. I just wasn't sure if I'd fit on one since I'm 6'3"/250 lbs. I've never liked the feel of the newer sport bikes, but the 250's have a stance more like that of the late 80's bikes, same with the 500. I know we're getting way OT here, but Woot, what are your thoughts on the 500? Looks very similar to the 250, but with a pretty large price jump.

17. woot

woot Active Member

Well the 250 crowd (for the most part) aren't huge 500 fans.

You pay more and don't get much more. It's not double the hp... it's a fairly low production numbers bike... everything people don't like about the 250 shows up in the 500 - plus it is uglier IMHO. ;)

If I was going to go for a 500 - then I'd buy an old F1-F3 cbr, an older C model ninja - maybe even a ZZR600 E model... the yzf and the new ninja650. The GS500 looks like a better bike than the 500 ninja - and if we're going down that road look at the sv650.

The ninja 250 does so well because it is so cheap. It's alot of bang for the buck. IMHO if you want more bang than the 250 don't stop at 500 go to an older 600... the 500s just seem like a half step.

The maxim is a great alternative - a bit more hp - considerably better for a passenger but it's an old bike and weighs a ton(ne). Old doesn't mean bad - but if you're putting serious long distance miles on then consider something more built for that (91-98 VFR).

Used bike prices are crazy... they taper off so quickly from new. In the first 10 years the value drops to what the maxim has in 25 years. A used bike seems to have a common minimum value. No used bike commonly sells for less than $1000. If it runs - then at least $1000. Meaning a 1992 vfr sells for not much more than the maxim... which is ludicrius. A 1998 VFR sells for double a 1992 vfr - double that again for a new VFR.

To put it in more ambiguos terms. Consider the y axis asymtote to be $1000 and a logaritmic decrease in value from year 0 to year x where it approaches the asymtote of $1000 but never gets below it.

what have I said? Nothing ;) I personally consider the 500 a waste of money - buy two 250s and get your pillion to ride instead. :D

18. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Site Owner Staff Member Administrator

xj650maxim82, I can’t stress enough how important it is to take the motorcycle safety course. I my opinion every driver car, bike or other, should take the course. Zipping around in traffic is also not the best thing to do. Don’t switch lanes like a mad man, ride safe, keep your distance, stay out of blind spots and take it easy.

I can relate with your fears. This past winter I picked up my very first snowmobile. I have never ridden one before the purchase. Couple of times I went out with buddies for some ditch banging. They have faster better performance machines then my sled. I knew when to ease up on the throttle. I don’t know my machine’s handling capabilities and I’m not experienced in riding sleds. So, take it easy, build the riding skills and then decide.

Now I have to check out the 250. It perked my interest :lol:

19. Joel07

Joel07 Member

Thanks Woot! Always good to hear your opinions! :D I agree on the used bike market, pretty crazy stuff when a bike 2-3 years old with 10-15k miles on it sells for almost what a new one does, but a bike 10-15 years old sells for next to nothing! If I ever get to the point of having the money to buy a new bike, I'll definetly look into the 250 more closely. I guess the Nighthawk 250's we rode in the MSF class kind of turned me off to 250's. Very cramped up bike for me, and absolutely NO power. :lol:

But they didn't have a 14k RPM redline like the Ninja. 8O

20. woot

woot Active Member

Isn't that crazy - if you get a chance go for a test ride... just remember these girls like to be treated a bit rough...

I'm in the used bike market I think - although I'm test riding new bikes to see if anything really grabs me. After my last car parts buying expodition I'm near broke again... bike fund is constantly being robbed :(

I might have the misfortune ;) of touring Newfoundland and the Cabot trail this summer... :D