1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ650RJ Seca Build

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Taylo105, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Taylo105

Taylo105 Active Member

2. cockatoo

cockatoo New Member

G'day Taylo105, a little late in discovering your Seca build... the GSX front end really changes the look and I reckon for the better. I have a stock XJ650RJ that I will start restoring. "Blind" woman backed her car into it. Only damage was broken clutch lever and dent in speedo bucket. Do you still have your chrome gauges?

3. Taylo105

Taylo105 Active Member

There's another member on here who has spoken for the gauges already. I do still have the clutch lever if you were interested though.

4. mrdawson

mrdawson Active Member

Updates? Got an m-unit blue on the way for wifes bike.

5. Taylo105

Taylo105 Active Member

I've gotten the bike pit back together and have been able to ride it around the block. But I'm working on the ignition system as I'm intermittently getting 3 or 4 cylinders running. The munit was a very wise investment on my part and I'm glad I bought it. I just wish I had wanted for the blue to come out because I want the Bluetooth feature. I've got an updated wiring diagram I did that I will share shortly. Let me know if you run into any issues

6. mrdawson

mrdawson Active Member

Very cool. yea I'd love to see the diagram sometime.
    Wifes bike is XS400 so the charging sys is bit different etc... But I would like to redo my seca at some point also.

7. Taylo105

Taylo105 Active Member

Here is my wiring diagram of the m unit with the m button. I highly recommend the 2 of them together as it allows you to have only 2 wires going to your bars, 1 positive and 1 negative wire.

I based this off of the simplied wiring diagram. I removed all of the safety switches on the bike. With the m unit it contains all of the relays needed too.

[​IMG]

8. mrdawson

mrdawson Active Member

very clean, I like it

9. Taylo105

Taylo105 Active Member

Build update:

I had to move the bike out of the garage I was in so the last week was focused on moving the bike, cleaning out the old garage and moving it to my apartment. I've turned my extra bedroom into my workshop. So it's a little more difficult to work on the bike. (Run from outside, up the stairs and into the house to grab a wrench, then run back outside only to find I grabbed the wrong one) but atleast I can enjoy air conditioning while working on parts off the bike.

I rebuilt my brake calipers as the original gsxr calipers were destroyed. The seals were rock hard and packed with dirt. Luckily all the pistons in the calipers looked great. I even added a fresh coat of paint to liven them up.
    [​IMG]

Pulled the carbs and coils off the bike and brought them inside. On the carbs, I missed cleaning the air/fuel mixture screws as the caps were still on them. After removing the caps and inspecting the holes, I could see some gnarly stuff in there. So I will be breaking the rack again and taking them back to church over the weekend. Afterwards the new orings and screws should be delivered from chacal so I can put them back on the bike and tune.

Also the coils were removed and tested. Turns out my primary resistance is a little too high. After a ton of research I bought some cb750 coils. I like the idea of the removable wires if needed in the future. Once these are delivered I should be set. Fingers crossed.

Now the question is, after the carbs come back from church, should I paint them? I've got a freshly painted engine and calipers. I kind of like the color contrast (otherwise everything is black) but I feel like they could be livened up a little.

mrdawson likes this.
  10. David Cormier

David Cormier Active Member

I painted mine black to match my colour scheme and love it. I wanted them to blend as much as I could and have the fender paint pop.

11. Taylo105

Taylo105 Active Member

Any tips? Specific paint you used? (Everything I've done so far has been rattle can) and any items to take extra care around? (Small passages for example)

12. David Cormier

David Cormier Active Member

I'm a rattle can guy too.
    For prep I had them broke all apart and used a rubber sage degreaser on a clean rag and wiped all over. I taped around the rubber choke boots as the paint would just look bad on them.
    I followed the degreaser with a nice automotive filler primer, seems to bond better. Once that dried I usedba high temp paint. Not for heat but the inclusion of ceramic seems to make it a little thicker and a little tougher.

13. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

Jetfixer and Taylo105 like this.
  14. Taylo105

Taylo105 Active Member

Wow very clean! I might have to do this

15. Taylo105

Taylo105 Active Member

Finally some great news. After spending the last week rebuilding the carbs and taking them to church yet again, re-setting the float levels and installing new cb750 coils, she finally runs. I hooked everything up and she fired right up. Seems to be running a tad rich at the moment. So over the next few days I'll bust out the carbine and the colortune to dial her in.

I just have to say a HUGE thank you to everyone for their help with getting her running. I will admit at times I thought I had gotten a little over my head, but with everyones help and feedback on the forum she's back.

I will be finishing up the build page with some detailed recaps of what was done, and once I get the speedo configured a write-up on that as well. And finally, some awesome shots of the bike to share with everyone.

16. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

Absolute pleasure reading this thread. Thank you for responding to mine. I am much more stoked now about this build. Downfall is I believe I'll be needing a lot more $ than I previously expected. Haha. Still will be much less expensive than my Harley

17. mrdawson

mrdawson Active Member

Having some issues, I'm terrible with wiring... I've figured most of it out, but having problems with how the start solenoid should be wired up with start button etc. Any pics / explanation of what you've done?

18. Taylo105

Taylo105 Active Member

So a build update since its been awhile. I've been working to get the bike tuned (details in a different post in the technical page). But i'm moving closer and closer which is great.

I took the bike out for a quick ride today around my neighborhood. Had a cyclist ask me if it was a cb750. haha. Once the carbs are fully tuned its time to finish the speedo setup. I need to build a mount for the speed sensor and then play trial and error to calibrate the speed. Shouldn't be too hard though since I'll compare it to a GPS speedo to get a difference.

Once everything completed, I'm putting together a nice shoot along the coastline with a little video reel too. Can't wait until i can share those with everyone.

19. Taylo105

Taylo105 Active Member

Dialed in the carbs a little more this weekend. Was able to take the bike around for a few mile ride this time. Feels nice to actually get the bike up and moving. Still need to do some additional adjustments. And I found the cause of my tiny oil leak. I hadn't replaced the crush washer for the oil drain plug for the last 2 oil changes and it's finally giving out. So I've placed an order with chacal for a set so I don't run into that issue again.

I also built a mount for my speedo and the speed sensor. Will snap some better photos after work. Now I just need a cellphone mount so I can compare the speeds to properly calibrate it.

mrdawson likes this.
  20. mrdawson

mrdawson Active Member

Get a RAM mount.