1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Pressure Washers! ("DONUTS"!)

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by HirsuitHeathen, Jul 15, 2011.

1. HirsuitHeathen

HirsuitHeathen Member

"Donuts"... to most of you (and how I will refer to them for now on). I replaced mine after a valve shim replacement and decided I would make a quick How-To on tearing them off and replacing them with a few tools and a little brass doohickey. I've included pictures because, well, I know you all like them and I's takes cares of muh bitches.

Let's begin shall we:

First off, round up the tools! Here is what I used:
    [​IMG]

I also bought this brass ferrule from Chacal to aid in the application.
    [​IMG]

Okay so you're ready to do this?

We'll start with the smaller outer cover bolts.
    [​IMG]

Now slide the crusty old Donut down for clearance.
    [​IMG]

Next with my pliers I grabbed the "Donut" careful to avoid hitting the threads on the bolt and gave her a little squeeze!
    [​IMG]

After that I just unseat the rubber from the metal washer...
    [​IMG]

...and then cut the rubber from the bolt with a sharp pair of scissors (I'm sure anything sharp and dangerous would work fine, just be careful!).
    [​IMG]
    FREE!
    [​IMG]

After that the metal washer can be hit with the pliers again and slid off from the bottom flange of the bolt!

Alright now the easy part...

You're going to want to grab your brass ferrule and a 5/16 box-end wrench and get to pressing!

(Side Note: it was suggested to me by both darkfibre and bigfitz52 that the correct way to do this is to put the ferrule on first. To use it as a ramp to slip the new Donut over the flange on the bottom of the bolt. Silicone spray or grease as needed to help persuade it over. Which ever way you decide to do this is up to you. My method for installation still worked for me so I'll keep it up in thread form.)

First we apply the new Donut...
    [​IMG]

...to the bolt and then the brass ferrule on top of that.
    [​IMG]

With the 5/16 box-end wrench on top of everything...
    [​IMG]

...push down until the ferrule stops at the flange on the bolt and the rubber pops on.
    [​IMG]

There you have it!

Well...almost now. Assuming you bought these...
    [​IMG]

...to replace the old ones, you have to move onto the bigger and dumber of the valve cover bolts. The 4 inner ones with the big dumb Donuts from hell.

Alright it's basically the same method for taking off the smaller Donuts except the rubber is harder to remove and the metal washer is easier to slip off. Ha!

Squeeze them like so:
    [​IMG]

Next I take my scissors again and carefully score the small tapered end of the rubber...
    [​IMG]

...until it comes off and just either cut it off or slip it off.
    [​IMG]

Then I like to dislodge the rubber from the metal washer with a fat, flat head screwdriver.
    [​IMG]

Once the rubber separates from the washer, the metal washer, even when crushed a bit, will slip right off. When you put the new ones on... you guessed it! Use the same method for the smaller ones with your brass ferrule.

I hope this was useful to someone and makes your first time the best time.

(Again, thanks to darkfibre and bigfitz52 for the corrections.)

Have fun!

2. darkfibre

darkfibre Member

Thats funny

I would have put the brass ferrule on the step under the new unit with some silicone spray so the ferrule is a 'ramp' to make install easier.

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Actually, that's the whole idea. You put the ferrule on the bolt, against the step and it's used as a tapered "bung" to slip the donut on over.

Nice pics tho...

4. HirsuitHeathen

HirsuitHeathen Member

Ha go figure. You know I tried it with the ferrule on first (sans silicone spray) and it seemed to have a tougher time slipping them on. Then I did it this way, in the thread, and worked like a charm....so in conclusion buy some silicone spray and use the ferrule the right way. Haha oh well. Thanks for the corrections.

5. HirsuitHeathen

HirsuitHeathen Member

Alright, post has been edited.

6. Trainer6

Trainer6 Member

I don't have this ferrule tool. So what is the difference between that and a right size washer?

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Everything. A washer is flat; a ferrule is a cone. Flat won't help you get the doughnut over the shoulder of the bolt. Any decent hardware store will have what you need; just hit up the plumbing section.