1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

It finally stranded me.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by tabaka45, May 15, 2019.

1. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

Apparently the problem is fixed. As indicated earlier, I opened the pilot screws slightly, less than two dime widths. I also noticed that the plastic fuel filter was cracked and leaking so I replaced it with an Emgo filter similar to the one XJ550H suggested. Now it starts almost immediately and seems to idle well even when cold. I am tempted to ride it to work tomorrow but will probably wait until the weekend to test it. Stranded wasn’t a good feeling.

Toomanybikes is sending me an air box duct, so when that gets here I should be all set—at least I hope so. Thanks for all the input and hopefully this thread can be put to rest.

2. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

You have a sediment bowl on each carb and one on the petcock, why do people insist on putting a filter in-line?? It's just asking for fuel problems.

3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

there's plenty of reports of that petcock filter floating loose in tanks. So the next stop would be the beanie filter on the needle valve, that would plug up in a second, most of them are plugged or rusted and never replaced. The next stop, the float bowl, how long would it take a chunk to swirl around
    in there and get sucked into the low speed jet?
    i don't particularly like to clean out carbs.
    it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it
    how does it cause problems?

4. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

They restrict fuel flow more than they do good in my opinion. I dunno how many 2-strokes I've had to pull filters off of because they were running lean from not enough fuel flow. If the system was pressurized, OK, a screen filter would be fine. It's not, though. If you have a lot of floating debris in your fuel tank, including a fuel filter, then you should probably address that instead of just sticking an inline filter in. There is a lot more negative pressure at the petcock than there is in the line above the carbs which is why the filter is located there.

5. tabaka45

The Emgo filter I used has a 5/16 inlet and outlet and a copper screen as the filter element. It is larger than the plastic ones and fuel literally pours through it. If I were using that much fuel I probably couldn't get more than 4-5 miles out of a tank of fuel. My carbs do have the little screens over the needle valves, but it's a lot easier to clean the Emgo filter than taking off the carbs.

Jetfixer and Chitwood like this.
  6. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

I can take my inline filter out and the bike runs just the same as it does when its installed. Piece of mind goes a long way especially when a bunch of time and effort goes into making the carbs spotless. Even good filters cant catch absolutely everything.

Timbox and Jetfixer like this.
  7. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

It's fine if you actually know type of filter you should be using and what the flow should be. Most people are going to just go to Autozone and pick up the cheapest filter that will fit the hose. As a general rule gravity-fed systems should never have an in-line filter. They don't come from the factory with one for a reason, there is no negative pressure void in the line to support draining and you just introduce an air pocket mid-flow.

Scott I likes this.
  8. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

I get my filter at auto zone special order it is rated for 4 cylinder motorcycles.
    but you are correct that some people put just any filter on and have issues.

many things don't come from the factory and the reason is financial .
    compare the 550 seca to the euro 550.

euro 550 has dual disc, oil cooler, nice shifter mechanism like my 750 all because factory had to hit cost factors to sell bike in North America.

Yamaha did not intend for the XJs to be around for 35 years, which is why you need a filter
    new tank no rust very little is going to happen and if it does $$ service call to the bike shop.

9. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

That custom Yamaha filter petcock was WAY more expensive to design and produce than to just use an existing line filter and tank pet from the general market.

10. tabaka45

Well, I rode it to work today and it started and ran well. However, when I got home I noticed that at idle it would stumble slightly when I bumped the brakes. I thought that was sort of odd. Any idea why or if I should be concerned?

11. XJ550H

with the way Japanese manufacturing works I doubt the petcock and design belongs to yamaha

12. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

that's what i've done for the last 10 years
    i put "negative pressure void" in the tank every fill up, great stuff, smells good to
    :) sorry, one too many

StarGeneral likes this.
  13. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

:rolleyes:

14. XJ550H

I do not have an answer to this question. can you tell us more about when this happens?
    are you at a stop when this happens? or coasting along?

15. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Floats may be too low?

Chitwood likes this.
  16. tabaka45

C
    As far as I can tell it only happens at idle. I have heard that the alternator does not cut in until about 2000 rpm, so I assume that hitting the brakes puts a draw on the battery and that somehow has something to do with it. But then I really don’t know much about the electrical system.

17. XJ550H

18. tabaka45

Thanks for the link. Somewhat intimidating for someone who does not like electrical issues. I will give a shot at checking everything this weekend, but I have determined that it only happens at idle when the brakes are applied. Have not check it with the blinkers but I will.

19. XJ550H

if you have low output and/or bad battery, amp draw of brake light may be causing issues with the tci or just stressing the alternator.
    causing alternator to drag is the best way I can describe it

20. tabaka45

That is what I am thinking and afraid of. The battery is not too old so I’m afraid that’s not it. That would be too easy.