1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Uxbridge Brule

Uxbridge Brule Active Member

Pulled off one down pipe and fixed a leak, will have to take the whole thing off soon and fix the collector box again. Anyone have a link to a home built collector box/exhaust system? Saw one once but can't find it in any search I've tried.
    Oh yeah had a great ride before it got too hot (32°C plus humidity) love this bike between 4500-8500rpm what a sweet sound.

2. WileyRiley

WileyRiley New Member

Perhaps we should create a confession thread for our motorcycle addiction. Just added my third Yamaha to the collection: 1986 Yamaha FJ1200. The others: 1977 XS7502D and 1982 XJ750 Seca. At this point the FJ1200 appears to need minor things (new grips, oil change, etc.) I rebuilt the carbs on the triple last year and the Seca a few years ago. I've recently been trouble shooting what seemed like an electrical issue on the Seca, and just confirmed its a fuel circuit issue - time to open the carbs up again and clean them out. Going back to the "church of clean". Need to order throttle shaft seals as I've been battling a lean issue for a little while.

Sometimes these old bikes present challenges - challenge accepted!

3. Uxbridge Brule

You have my dream stable of Yamaha's going looking for a Fj1200 when I start work again. Don't tell the wife but that's going to be my happy 501h birthday to me next year.

WileyRiley likes this.
  4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Wonderful how a lot of us tend to do that. As for the FJ1200 make sure you check her for popping out of second gear, hard on the gas in second to test. That will be a great bike, mine went down the rd some time ago.

WileyRiley likes this.
  5. WileyRiley

WileyRiley New Member

Good call out. Yamaha issued a fix for this problem years ago. The previous owner confirmed having this fix completed at their local dealer. I'll keep an eye/ear on it, that's for sure. Such a strong machine in comparison.

6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

If I remember working on that bike was kinda fun. Not too hard getting the carbs in and out. Once the tank is out of the way you can really get in there and work. Those little air scoops are interesting how they bring the air in and dump it right on top of the engine. If I remember right it was very comfortable and mine sure like to corner. I wish you many of fun riding miles.

WileyRiley likes this.
  7. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Messed with colortune for a bit ,rode a few miles hot is one thing but this humidity was weird , hop on bike you expect it to be cooler :confused:. So down the road stopped to look at a 79 Yamaha RD400 nice clean 2 stroke , I almost bought one years ago . This one was clean he was asking 5500:rolleyes: yes is good knick but not perfect . Some folks love 2 strokes , since the sun set the humidity is gone and now it is nice :D

8. WileyRiley

WileyRiley New Member

Pulled the carbs off the Seca today. Pretty sure I have a gummed idle circuit on #2 carb. However, it also needs throttle shaft seals and maybe a different valve cover gasket: I've had some blow-by since replacing with an aftermarket valve cover gasket. I've considered applying RTV sealant to permanently resolve this issue.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  9. Pizzaman

Pizzaman Member

Well I wanted to go for a ride. Was doing a little pre ride inspection and noticed front tire was 6 psi low. Spun it around and found a tiny screw. No riding for me this weekend as the tire shop isn't open Sunday or Monday. Tire only has about a 1000 miles on it so that blows. Had a Vespa a few years ago that I put a new tire on and got a screw in it less than 25 miles into it. My luck sucks.

10. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

they should be able to patch from inside of tire.

11. XJ550H

did you replace the donuts on the bolts that secure the cover? they dry out and do not apply pressure to the cover so you get a leak.
    read the valve adjustment thread and you will see a method to install cover gasket that works well.
    Bigfitz's AIRHEAD VALVE ADJUSTMENT with Pics - parts I & II

12. XJ550H

oil change for the 550 today. I was having issues with oil light coming on. did a seafoam treatment a few days ago for rode 200 miles. issue gone.
    FYI when doing an oil change after draining oil turn key on to check the oil level sensor. the light should come on.

13. XJ550H

Ride faster;). wind chill does not do much above 60 degrees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_index

Uxbridge Brule likes this.
  14. Deathboner727

Deathboner727 New Member

What size screens go under float needle for xj750 maxim

15. 650MAX

650MAX Member

Many people don't worry about those as long as they have an inline filter. Or so I've heard! Mine were trashed and I left them off. Haven't tried to run it yet but I don't expect any trouble.

Today I broke my carb rack back down and replaced the throttle shaft seals with pairs of X- and O-rings. Makes a little smaller stack than a pair of O-rings. Also its was still a tiny bit tighter than I'd like so I made a set of thinner thrust washers. Got them all happy snug, not tight.

Deathboner727 and Colin 85 700 like this.
  16. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

I allways remove those screens and install an inline or keep yr tank clen and say eff it.
    They are the worst place to plug, have to pull the rack, any sediment that get past a good shape OE in tank filter is so small it should pull thru the carb or settle in the bowl.
    Easier drain yr bowls once in a blue moon to remove sediment than clean those screens.
    (I do it beginning of each every season, petcock on PRI prime, loosen each drain screw in order till fresh smelling and colour fuel flows out each bowl, resets petcock to ON start and ride as normal)
    Note: i fill my tank fresh premium, petcock ON (Off with engine off) for storage. Thats all.

Deathboner727 likes this.
  17. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

Btw, i rode my bike today... Just cruised a while on the highway for shits n giggles.
    Really enjoyed passing a motorhome pulling a car... 3rd gear passes to the pin... ;)

18. Uxbridge Brule

Put close to 600km(370 miles) on the bike today. Was up to the in laws cottage on the weekend drove the minivan. My daughter's friend forgot her wallet there 3hrs away, so took the bike to go get it today!!Great weather only hit rain for 1/2 hour. Added to the winter to do list... better foam in the seat and hwy pegs.

19. XJ550H

such a good dad to endure 3 hours to get your daughter's friends wallet.

20. Uxbridge Brule

Three hours each way. Now I'm sure that the bike is good and can be trusted, I mean that girl needed her wallet

XJ550H likes this.