1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Starter issues.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Chris gallipo, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Chris gallipo

Chris gallipo New Member

The problem I have is when I try turning over my 550 maxim and I get nothing until I let go of the ignition button then I hear a click. The starter is brand new. But the funny thing about it is if I hold down the ignition button and bang on the frame with a hammer it will turn over without fail. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be. This is the first bike I've ever owned or worked on ,so I am pretty green here. Thanks.

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

first stop doing that.
    check your motor ground from battery as well as the ground to frame from that cable and the ground at the right ignition coil clean them all .
    then check the starter bolts make sure they are tight and clean that is how the starter is grounded to motor as well as its body contact.

question when you press down starter button and nothing happens does your oil light come on?

when you are cleaning the ground at ignition coil check the connector from control to main harness it is black could be a bad connection there I had this issue with my 3 550s make it clean and tight.
    are your bars painted?

Stop hitting your frame with a hammer

k-moe likes this.
  3. Chris gallipo

Chris gallipo New Member

I will. It happened by chance when I was frustrated. The handle bars are not painted and the oil light does come on when I hit the button. Thank you for the help. Another question if you dont mind. Any idea of how much of a chore it is to change out the stator and brushes. thats my next task after I figure out the starter. Thanks again.

4. XJ550H

it is not a hard job. but why do you want to change stator? brushes minimum length is 11 mm . there are tests you can do to check stator and rotor and brushes then voltage tests to determing brushes or voltage regulator quality.

at the end of this link it tells you the tests and possible issues for charging systems
    The Ultimate Relay, Switch, Sensor, and Diodes Guide

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  5. XJ550H

no paint is good oil light coming on is a test of the bulb and shows your starter button is grounded and good. you may have a solenoid problem

put a meter or test light on the starter cable side of the solenoid press starter button see if light comes on or you get voltage this should tell you if solenoid is good. cleaning those connections is a good idea too.

6. Chris gallipo

Chris gallipo New Member

Ok. Thank you . I put a voltage meter on it when the bike was running and when I gave it some gas the bolts never budged. I checked the stator for different ohms going threw it and changed the conections on it back and forth and they didnt all read the same. So that's why I was thinking it's that.

7. XJ550H

best to start with new brushes. open up alt see if you need them clean the rotor with a hard art eraser not sand paper. the rings should shine like a new penny wipe the rings down and face of rotor with electric contact cleaner and a rag.

ohms for stator are a hard read with a digital meter

8. Chris gallipo

Chris gallipo New Member

When I start my 82 xj550 maxim it sounds like the stater motor is still running. The starter is brand new. Any ideas or help here would be great. Thanks.

9. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

10. k-moe

Have you tested the solenoid?

They can fail in either position.

What you might be hearing is the whine of the alternator (a unique XJ feature).

11. Chris gallipo

Chris gallipo New Member

How do you test for that?

12. k-moe

Remove the lead from the battery at the solenoid, turn the ignition to on, press the starter button and listen/feel for the click when the solenoid engages If you have a multimeter, check for continuity between the two large posts on the solenoid. There should be none unless the starter button is being pressed. Do not perform a continuity test with the battery hooked up to the solenoid or you will blow the meter fuse, and possibly damage the meter.

13. Chris gallipo

Chris gallipo New Member

Ok. I have done that all ready and everything is good. Could it have something to do with the charging system. I am trying to figure out why it won't charge. I have a new rectifier on it now but still no volts charging to the battery when it is running.