1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Stator removal

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by Myxjbobberbuild, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Myxjbobberbuild

Myxjbobberbuild New Member

How do you get the stator out of case? Wanna replace rotor and stator got rotor out with no problems but I can't get the stator to move at all seems to be melted or bonded to the case any kind of tips or help would be greatly appreciated

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Why do you want to replace the stator? Has it tested as being bad, are you putting one in that's been wound for more current, or is there an oil leak?

You'll need a 3" (or so) long bolt ( 15mm x 1.0 or 16 mm x 1.0, I forget which, to be called the removal bolt), a socket to fit said bolt, ideally a short length of bar stock to set behind said bolt when in use (not absolutely necessary though), and a friend who has a foot you can borrow.

With the alternator cover off and the engine in gear have the owner of the borrowed foot press on the brake pedal.

Remove the holding bolt from the center of the alternator shaft.

Place the short length of bar stock into the hole if you have a peice of suitable diameter (again this is not absolutely necessary, but will help to prevent the working end of the bolt from mushrooming).

Thread the removal bolt into the alternator shaft (you will notice that there are two sets of threads; one for the holding bolt, and the smaller diameter is set for the removal bolt.

Turn the bolt until the alternator pops off (note, it is unlikely that the alternator will pop off easily. This is a taper fit and those are a bear to get unstuck).

Since the alternator did not pop off do the following while the removal bolt is still tight (do not overtighten the removal bolt or you risk stripping the threads and needing to have your alternator shaft reworked or replaced).

Use a 4 pound sledge and a block of hardwood to "gently whack" the head of the alternator removal bolt until the alternator pops off.
    This last step takes patience and care as you are working near some easily broken aluminum engine cases. You may find that carefully applying heat to the area immediately surrounding the remoal bolt will help the taper fir to release. You will find that applying excessive heat to this area will melt the laquer on the alternator feild coils. DO not apply excessive heat to this area.

Installation is the reverse of removal, except that you will not need the removal bolt during installation. Resist the urge to lubricate the taper of the alternator shaft. A taper fit requires that both tapers be dry as they come in full contact with one another. Any lubricant will resist compression and either cause damage to whichever taper yields first, or allow the alternator to slip on the taper, shearing the key.
    Do feel free to use a medium-strength threadlocking compound on the threads of the alternator retaining bolt.
    Tighten the alternator retaining bolt to 39.8 ft lbs.

Clarke Monroe likes this.
  3. Myxjbobberbuild

Thanks k- moe all that is already done my problem is the coil field is still on I'm having trouble getting the coil field off it seems to be stuck on the case or melted to the case is this normal? I thought the coil assembly would come off with the cover and yes it tested bad and looks even worse so I'm replacing the whole assembly

4. k-moe

Are you are speaking about the stator and not the rotor (the field coil is wound onto the rotor; the part I just described how to remove)? The stator should slide out of the case as it's only held in place by the alternator cover (it often comes out on its own when the cover is removed).

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

maybe a pic will help

650acalt.JPG
    1Ac Generator Assembly
    2. Rotor Assembly
    3. Stator Assembly
    4. Brush Holder Assembly

6. Myxjbobberbuild

Ye

7. k-moe

I'd reccomend looking closely to see if someone used RTV to seal the cover. That may be what's holding the stator in place. Running a thin knife or razor blade around the perimeter of the stator housing should break it free.

8. Myxjbobberbuild

Yes Ian talking about the stator #3 in pics cover is off rotor is off stator is stuck or melted to the case!ugh! I thought it should come off fairly easy with the cover but no luck that's why I posted this ? Maybe someone else had the same issue was just looking for some suggestions on how to get it off without damaging the case I guess I'll try alittle heat and see if Ivan get it loose enough to get it off . Thanks again for your knowledge I'm not that familiar with these bikes especially one that has be hacked into pretty bad

9. nablats

nablats Member

did you get it off? I have the same problem, I believe this gets in the way of one of the crankcase bolts

10. ucmlamb

ucmlamb 82 xj750j Maxim

k-moe, in your post above you state, "Thread the removal bolt into the alternator shaft (you will notice that there are two sets of threads; one for the holding bolt, and the smaller diameter is set for the removal bolt." Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it should read, "Thread the removal bolt into the alternator shaft (you will notice that there are two sets of threads; one for the holding bolt (smaller threads), and the larger diameter set is for the removal bolt)."
    Other wise a great post and very helpful. Thanks for keeping up the great work.

11. k-moe

You are correct. I can't imagine why I wrote it that way.

12. jdavid

jdavid New Member

no9body ever answered his question!!!!!!!!!!! damn this irritates me, i have the same g.d.problem! i even glued my spare cover to the coil field, drilled and tapped the center and tried to pop it out with the same proceedure as the alternater. it will not budge!!!!! it is melted,fused,welded,glued,screwed and otherwise bonded itself to the casing.

13. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

Can't you use some solvent or heat to make the plastic soft so you can pull it off?

k-moe likes this.
  14. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

the coating on the coils (shellac ?) is strong but brittle. spray some oil on the edges and try tapping it in. once the coating cracks it should fall right out.
    if you know it's no good, just start snipping wire and destroy it out

k-moe likes this.
  15. k-moe

He never got back to us about his next attempt using heat. This is a very uncommon problem. We answered every question that he asked.

16. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Is it stuck in the alternator cover? Don't know if this is a good idea but would boiling water out of a kettle poured over the cover heat it enough to expand slightly without damaging anything? Probably not.

17. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

mine just pull out.

do you need to remove it or just want to?

18. jdavid

jdavid New Member

thank you for all your advice. ive tried destrying it out, it wont budge. its not charging the battery, the wires got crushed and shorted out against the cover. previous owner crashed it. so im replacing everything. thanks again ill try heat.