1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

xj900f flooding carbs ?

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by chuckle, Sep 2, 2015.

1. chuckle

chuckle New Member

Any help would be great , my carbs on my xj900f started poorinng out fuel on way home ,from 1 of the large pipes between carbs , there are 2 pipes like this only 1 was looking out fuel ,Has anyone a solution to this . thanks Glenn.

2. Colin Marshall

Colin Marshall New Member

i think you'l find ( fingers crossed ) its a stuck float, turn your fuel off and take of the float bowls, check for dedri and clean, next check your needle valve is shutting off, this is when you need another set hands/ or check each carb individually, one float bowl of at a time, ( replace all bowls but the one working on ) apply a little ( very little ) pressue on the floats, lifting them up turn your fuel on, and letting them go, you should find in the up posistion no fuel will pass in the down it will pass, check all 4, if they all work ok and none of the floats are puntured, put back together, keep an eye on it if it strll leaks you might want new needle valves and a carb clean

chuckle likes this.
  3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

are you talking about the tube between carb 1 and 2 which is like the one between 3 and 4?between 2 and 3 is a tee fitting? thats the fuel supply
    if thats whats leaking you need new O rings

4. chuckle

chuckle New Member

No the fuel feed is at the bottom of carbs , been told the two pipes are overflow pipes , now discovered float was stuck open ., thanks for reply .

5. chuckle

chuckle New Member

Thank

Colin Marshall likes this.
  6. Ross1bd

Ross1bd Member

"this is when you need another set hands"

Wow!! If you have a friend who is going to lift the needles individually, and "apply a little ( very little ) pressure on the floats"
    You need a friend who, freehand. puts finishing cuts on rare multifaceted gemstones. Steady as a rock (pardon the pun).

I have a brain thing, laughingly referred to as shaky hands, and can't carry a cup of espresso on a saucer w/o spilling half the cup between here and there.
    But seriously folks, a pretty good definition of a true friend is someone who'll come over and help with a tedious chore like repositioning float valves.

This true friend deserves two rewards (bribes)... extra-especially good beer and a big plate of Berkshire pork derived BACON. (Unless you live in Portland, Or). In that case you go to Voodoo donuts and get half a dozen Maple-syrup and Bacon donuts and I don't think anybody in PDX sells average-quality ales, so you're set.

Colin Marshall and Toomanybikes like this.
  7. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Dam it you said bacon now I gotta cook some up!!!

8. chuckle

chuckle New Member

I have had carbs cleaned and balanced , but I have drips of petrol coming out of 2 of the thin over flow pipes , Anyone have any ideas , thanks .

9. scro0llerguy

scro0llerguy New Member

I feel the pain, all my life I have used my hands to make a living, and now that I'm retired, I have intentiol tremors.
    Bad news all the way!