1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Anyone happen to have a Ducati Monster? Need measurements

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by saftie, Dec 28, 2017.

1. saftie

saftie Well-Known Member Premium Member

Hey,

Just throwing this one out there. Does anyone happen to have a Ducati Monster?
    I am looking for the mounting hole dimensions for the tail frame.

Basically I'd like to know how far they are apart. Trying to get creative on my bike and maybe put on a monster tail frame.

Here a link to a pic to show what I'm talking about:
    http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums...00/Screenshot_20171228-085432_zpswiiysysm.jpg

Thanks a bunch,
    Gabor

2. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

There’s about 40 different versions of the Monster, from 400cc to 1100, air or water cooled, plus three different generations.

3. saftie

Yes. The idea was to get the measurements and what year and model. Maybe I should have mentioned it but I thought it was obvious.
    Anyhow, i think I am going to save money and just modify my existing tail.

4. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

I have two 2010 "696" Monsters in my garage if you want measurements. Let me know if you change your mind.

5. saftie

Oh perfect. Yes please :)
    I'd also like to know the across measurement.

Here is what I have mocked up so far using an old tank. But I'm still open to a swap, even if it's just the frame and not the plastics. Not sure if the angle would be right or if mods are needed. But in either case, something would have to be cut/glued/welded.

[​IMG]

6. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

I'm working out of town until this coming Friday. I'll be decompressing from work in the garage this weekend and will provide your requested measurements gladly.
    The following image is what you want measurements of, the "seat subframe assembly" fastening points, correct?

Screenshot_20171228-085432_zpswiiysysm.jpg

7. saftie

Yes correct. Basically I am trying to figure out how close this comes to fitting my frame to replace the current tail frame. Here an old pic of the frame where you can clearly see the anchor points.
    I understand that modifications might be required, just want to see how close it is. Oh, I would also need to know the measurement from side to side.

[​IMG]

8. saftie

Oh... I just took a closer look and realized how the frame is used/attached on a monster. The longer side actually goes towards the engine and mounts there, correct? So this won't work then. Looks like i have to focus on the hole in the middle. So I'll need the measurement from the middle hole to the one facing back on the bike.

I think you'll get the idea of what I am trying to do when looking at my above picture.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  9. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

I believe I'm picking up what your putting down. What I'll do is take a picture of what I'm measuring, and indicate from point to point what the distance is. Here is a CAD image if how the subframe marrys up on the 2010 Monster ducati-monster-696-pieza-7.jpg

Stumplifter likes this.
  10. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

BTW, is that a 1995 VFR800 your working on?

11. saftie

Cool, thanks.
    No, it's an 88 FZR1000. She's been through a few changes already, like custom built subframe plus custom seat, now a different swingarm (to allow a 17 inch 180 tire) etc. Here a link to my website where I photo document stuff. There is a section about the current subframe: gabobobikes.com/Kinga

12. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

Got in early this evening instead of first thing this morning. Thanks for your patience.
    Anyhow, my Monsters are actually 2013 models. We traded the 2010 models on for the 2013s.
    So referring to the image below: the distance between 1 and 2 is 7 3/4" from center to center.
    The distance between 2 and 3 is 7" center to center.
    Let me know if you need anything more. 2018-01-06 18.09.56.jpg

13. saftie

Ok thank you very much.
    This won't work then without bigger modification. I'd have to use hole 2 and 3 but have 7 3/4 on my frame. Oh well, it was an idea.
    I'll continue down the path of modifying my current one and use the tank as tail piece.
    Thanks again, I really appreciate your time and taking the measurements.

14. saftie

Btw how come your chain looks so clean? Is it lubed?

15. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

I was wondering how EVERYTHING looks so clean! Is that bike in a showroom?

16. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

You win some you loose some with mods. Don't ask me how I know this. It would be the longest post ever.
    The chain and sprockets were replaced before the past riding season on both Ducatis. Plus the fact that I'm OCD when it comes to my vehicles is why it's so clean.
    My secret weapon is I use Dupont Multi-use Teflon spray lube, it literally provides the least "cast off" of any chain lube out there. Dupont sells several variations of Teflon spray lube so to get the correct stuff make sure it's item number D00110101. (see image attached) Read the reviews and comparison tests. It, hands down, always wins real world testing, every time. Great stuff, try it and you'll never use anything else, ever.
    The only catch is you have to start out with a virgin chain or one that is perfectly clean for the stuff to provide these results. Sprockets must be spotless also. I have 5 bikes and changed the drive chains on all of them after discovering this stuff with in two year period.
    Additionally, chain and sprocket noise is silent or nonexistent which seems to be something people just come to terms with. Your chain actually should not be a noisy component of your bike if maintained and adjusted correctly. Remember how quiet the chain was when it was new? This stuff combined with a clean unworn chain and sprockets is the shit.
    Honestly.
    Thanks for noticing. 344-0088.jpg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  17. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

Speaking of long posts⤴️

18. saftie

Oh nice, I will read about this. Too late for me though, my brand new bike is already used and the sprocket change on my other bike has seen 300 miles already.

19. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

[​IMG]

20. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

Too much coffee when we went out for breakfast this morning. Composed that post while waiting to be served and chugging coffee. Crashed hard this afternoon and after waking up I noticed my hand was quivering a little. Nothing a shotgunned Red Bull won't fix.