1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Seca650 No spark

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by MrSeca, Apr 2, 2019.

1. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Not worried about the paint since I plan on repainting it. Just wondering if I should keep the MEK in there for a day and let the fumes do the work (I can store tank upside down where there are no holes) or take it out after an hour or so after swishing it around. I guess it's trial and error at this point.

2. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I guess it depends on your budget, but I would call around and get some quotes. MEK is some really nasty stuff to work with - hazardous to your health and the environment if not properly disposed of.

Franz and MrSeca like this.
  3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

do you happen to have a chunk of the tank liner material? if you do drop it in some mek and see how long it takes to melt or desolve should be quick

MrSeca likes this.
  4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Take it to a welding shop and have that fixed the right way. You would hate to have gas flowing or leaking on a hot engine and or exhaust with no way of stopping it. I would not let a gas tank with holes worry me, I would have it done the right way and the safe way. IMHO

Franz and MrSeca like this.
  5. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

I'm having some rear tire issues. It cannot spin freely and if I torque down the nuts to the wheel axle too tight the tire cannot spin at all. I included pics to indicate that that is all I saw inside the wheel when I disassembled it. Is there suppose to be spacer in there in front of the bearing? I looked at a parts diagram and everything seems to be there. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  6. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

So, I've bee riding my Seca 650 for a couple weeks now and so far I have two concerns I feel need to be addressed. The first one is that oil is leaking from the drive train right where the cross joint is located. Is there suppose to be a gasket located there? Could it be I'm putting too much oil in the drive train?

The second concern is that the bike tends to start vibrating above 60mpg. It's not extremely noticeable but I can kind of feel it on the footrest and I can see that the bike is clearly vibrating when I look in the rear view mirrors and everything is fuzzy. However, city driving it runs to perfection. I've checked the brakes to make sure they're not binding but other than that I have no idea what to check. I haven't checked the valves yet but the engine sounds great so I didn't want to get too crazy with the engine. Is there a go-to check list of sorts to decrease vibration at high speeds or is this just the nature of the beast?

7. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

The XJ's do seem to have a "buzz" around 5k rpms which would be 60mph. Especially on a seca which uses solid engine mounts whereas a maxim uses rubber. Unless its excessive I wouldn't worry about that so much. I'm sure a more knowledgeable member will chime in with more sound advice.

8. XJ550H

seca 650 has solid motor mounts which may be the buzz you feel

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  9. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Is there a way to put rubber mounts on?

10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Yes, but not easily, and there is some risk of damaging the cases.
    The change doesn't eliminate the buzz (makes it a tad better though). The best step you can take is a good running synch to minimize it.
    From your description the buzz is far worse than it will be after a running synch. If that doesn't fix it, then there is something wrong.

Loose motor mount bolts will make it buzz worse than if it were just out of synch, so check those too.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  11. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Besides the two brackets up front and the two engine bolts that also hold the foot pegs where else are there motor mounts on the Seca 650?

12. k-moe

That's all of them.

The Seca cases have solid steel mounts pressed into the case ears, while the Maxims have rubber mounts that slip into place. The risk comes from pressing out the Seca mounts, as they are a slight interference fit. You'll need to have very good support for the ears.

There may also be a need to modify the steel collars on the front of the Maxim mounts for frame clearance. I had to slice a bit off (the outer diameter of the steel collar was a bit large) when I replaced my damaged original Seca 750 engine cases with Maxim cases.

13. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Sounds like the spacer inside the final drive is missing

MrSeca, k-moe and XJ550H like this.
  14. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

You are correct and I ordered one. Works good.

hogfiddles likes this.
  15. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

If you don't mind I'd like to revisit this high frequency vibration problem I've been having. I thought it was a speed thing but it turns out it's a high rpm thing. Basically when I hit 4500rpms the engine starts to vibrate. I figured this out going to 4500 in 1st gear and sure enough the bike starts to get fuzzy. I checked the valves and they're all within spec. I synched the carbs and they seem good. I read on one post that it might help to loosen and retorque the engine mount bolts. Is there anything else I can check? Also, does someone know what the torque specs are for those bolts?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  16. XJ550H

upload_2019-7-19_20-22-54.png

17. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Thank you. I hate to show my ignorance but which bolt is which? I included a picture

Attached Files:

18. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Well, I re-torqued the engine mounting bolts and it didn't change anything. Anybody have any other ideas why I'm getting vibration at 4500rpms? I tried checking the valves, synching the carbs, I changed the spark plug caps. Can't figure it out.

19. k-moe

Nature of the engine. It was smooth for the era, but compared to a newer inline 4 it's buzzy (and right at the RPM you mention). Keep in mind that Seca engines are solidly mounted to the frame.
    How bad would you describe it? Is it uncomfortable or just noticeable?

20. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Actually K-moe I figured it out. Crappy aftermarket MIRRORS!!!!! The blurriness in the mirrors at high rpms were leading me to think there was something wrong with the entire bike. I changed the mirrors per a friends suggestion and I can see clear as a bell now. Bike runs great. Now, I have to change the fork seals. If anybody has any tutorials on changing fork seals they can send my way, please do. Thank you for your help.

Timbox and k-moe like this.