1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

87 XJ700N, sitting for a couple years

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Farlo1Time, Dec 23, 2020.

1. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Or just put it to PRI while you’re on it, then turn back to ON or RES when you’re done so fuel doesn’t potentially keep flowing.

Len also carries JIS screw driver sets.

2. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

Looks sharp, reminds me to get cracking on my XJ700 again. Good luck with it!

3. Farlo1Time

Farlo1Time New Member

Hey guys.. so I've been fairly busy doing a ton of reading here and watching several videos. Happy to say that the bike is not a dud. I had successfully removed the carbs, had them cleaned and installed them myself. Ratchet straps work like a charm.. My tank was a complete mess inside, took me a week on and off to clean out the rust and lining. I got an aftermarket petcock from amazon, which I had to modify a little to make the screw holes fit the tank.. it worked well and I started it up pretty nicely.... there was a small issue with the throttle sticking and after reading some more about the possible reasons, I learned that I had made the same mistake as someone here with the clamps on the engine side. It was an easy fix nonetheless.... and of course nothing comes easy right?? For some reason, it seems like the gas is not flowing to through the petcock. Gonna be honest here, I have not done a whole lot of research on this issue since I learned that PRI and RES settings should allow the fuel to flow through but nothing much happens on any of those settings. If I shake the bike a bit, it sends some fuel into the carbs, it starts but will not continue to run, dies a few seconds later. When I first started it, I had it going several times and it ran without issues and would not stop at all.. I wonder what has happened..? I'm considering ordering an OEM petcock but I would rather not if I can get away with it.. What do yo guys think?

4. hogfiddles

PRI is a free-flow setting.
    RES IS NOT.
    RES is a vacuum-operated setting that simply allows fuel to flow after you are ‘just about empty’ on the RUN setting. RES is simply a reserve amount to let you get to as gas station before you run out for real.

5. Farlo1Time

Farlo1Time New Member

Got it.. I tried fiddling with all of the settings. One thing I noticed was that on my first attempt, I set it to PRI and noticed that fuel began to come out from the drain lines. This time around, no fuel seemed to be coming out.. there’s definitely something preventing the fuel passing through the petcock. If I shake the bike a little, it will run a bit longer as some fuel seems to trickle into the carbs, when I stop, it dies...

6. hogfiddles

Are you empty?

7. Farlo1Time

Farlo1Time New Member

Nope! I poured some in because I thought there wasn’t enough.

8. McTavish

McTavish Active Member

I would suggest installing a separate fuel shutoff valve . the amazon/ebay chinese 44mm flange petcock are shite.
    flow without vacume and leak. I went through two of them.

Attached Files:

9. hogfiddles

How much did you pour in?

10. Farlo1Time

Farlo1Time New Member

I have a 5 litre jerry can.. poured the whole thing. Not enough? I know the tank holds much more.

11. Farlo1Time

Farlo1Time New Member

Th
    Thanks for the suggestion. I think that will be handy in the near future.