1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1985 Madura 700 or GV700

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Timbox, Oct 1, 2026 at 9:16 AM.

  1. Timbox

    Timbox Well-Known Member Premium Member

    Messages:
    2,838
    Likes Received:
    993
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Wisconsin, Tomah
    Was going nuts trying to find another project. I have been itching to get back into another V4. So happens that two in my area came up on market and I grabbed them both. Good thing, as one turned into a parts bike so the other could be almost factory.
    [​IMG]DSCN0018 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSCN0019 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    You can see from the one pic, the bike must have fallen on a trailer at one time. Could not explain the dent in the tank that way without it falling onto a cross member or a trailer.

    The carbs are these are interesting. Not like the V65 Honda, much easier to get in and out of the bike. You have to remove the intake side of all the carbs to the heads to make it easy. If you don't good luck.

    Carbs were not to bad, but if I didn't have the other parts bike, I would have had to order the little cap that covers the vacuum slide pin. Removing two of the four and they stayed in the hole. Easy enough to get out but still a pain.

    Clutch master was a beast to bleed. If you can see the MC, this design has a nice place for air to get trapped, so bleed can be time consuming. I tried to reverse bleed it and still nothing. Let it sit overnight and a vacuum bleed and it worked.

    Front right brake line was plugged. All OEM lines so they are dated for sure. Rear brake is a cable system, needed some Blaster to make it move more freely. Rear brakes are good, glue is intact. Cleaned and greased the rear hub, all teeth look good.

    Waiting on the Motobatt to arrive and then a shakedown ride. Only a 700 but love the sound from a V4 and I am looking for the big brother of this model to add to my stable.

    This is also a bonded title job, that paperwork was sent out yesterday.
     
    Dave in Ireland likes this.
  2. Dan Gardner

    Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

    Messages:
    1,597
    Likes Received:
    834
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minneapolis, MN
    That is a pretty gnarly dent. Don't throw away the tank though - unless its a rusty disaster in addition to a gnarly dent. I'd fix it if you want to get rid of it.
     
    Timbox likes this.
  3. Timbox

    Timbox Well-Known Member Premium Member

    Messages:
    2,838
    Likes Received:
    993
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Wisconsin, Tomah
    The tank inside turned out good. Great think about the fuel sensor is its the dry or wet type sensor. So, wet no light, dry turns the fuel light on. Second tank is also looking good. It is a black one and might get put on the bike in pic. No dents but could use some paint. I will get to the bike in pic this week and do a shakedown ride. Looking forward to seeing how the V4 sounds and what kinda of power the 700 cc has.
     
  4. Timbox

    Timbox Well-Known Member Premium Member

    Messages:
    2,838
    Likes Received:
    993
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Wisconsin, Tomah
    Shakedown ride went okay. I had to make it short, brakes were not being brakes. Besides that, bike has very good pull, feels good shifting through all the gears. Engine is strong! Now I still have to do a few things. The lights for the oil and neutral light are not working. It is not the lights, check that already. Have to start to look at the switches or, they will start to work once I do a good oil change and put some sea foam in there to break things up. I would guess the oil pressure switch might be just gummed up. Looking at another project bike this afternoon. It is getting closer to winter here in Wisconsin, got to have lots of projects to keep busy in those nasty cold months.
     
    Rooster53 and Simmy like this.

Share This Page