1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1979 XS1100 Not a XJ900 but it will do for now

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Timbox, May 1, 2019.

1. JetmechMarty

JetmechMarty Active Member

I’m trying to figure out what I’m looking at in regards to your rear brake. I’ve attached a photo of one of mine. It’s an ‘80, but they are the same. EF7BC55D-7D85-4F21-8C9F-7E4CCDAD2F07.jpeg

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

In your pic to the left of the bleeder is the top of the brake/swing arm bracket nut.. It connects the rear brake to the axle and to the swing arm. I could not find a way to just get the rear break off by sliding off like other bikes I have had. No way on this one, I had to take the rear axle off, remove rear wheel and that interesting bracket had to get out of the way. Putting it back in was interesting and I think the way you tilt your head and hold your mouth as you wrangle it all back in place helps. ;)

3. JetmechMarty

Sorry for the upside down pic. I just moved and the garage is packed full. Yes, I think it’s very difficult to remove the rear caliper without removing the axle. Your swingarm will have to come off anyway. I’ll bet the swingarm bearings are dry as a popcorn fart. Also, where the driveshaft goes into the final drive will need moly grease. Don’t forget the middle drive oil!

4. JetmechMarty

That caliper bracket slides into a rubber grommet on the swingarm. Was yours still there?

5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Yes my PO took okay care of this bike. I see there is a grease fitting at the end of the drive shaft before hit its the rear hub. That might be interesting so see. I just got the carb bowl gaskets in today so I have to get them together and wet level set them. Bench synch and mount them to the bike. I put one coat of black paint on the valve cover, I think it will need more than one. Lots to do yet but I do want to make sure it runs before I get into the drive line. Once I know it is a keeper I will start to do all the fun little stuff.

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That's sad to hear. Someone from this forum was able to sign up last fall, which is why I mentioned the instructions.

7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, I tried to find the dipstick template but no such luck so far. So this is just like the Suzuki Madura I worked on and has a middle drive. I guess I will just go by the book when I refill the hypo oil and just us a measured method.

8. JetmechMarty

Admin was taking inactive accounts and turning them over to new people. A bunch of money was recently donated to update the site. The person tasked with the work got sidelined with personal issues. Those of us using the site don't have any idea of what will become of it.

9. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

That is too bad, I would love to get on that site more and contribute if I could and pick their brains. As for today on the XS, got the throttle bodies back on the carbs and have them ready to be put togeher as a rack. I somehow got the ideal and or throttle carb messed up and had to change the long shaft to that carb. Second coat of paint is done on the valve cover, I will put that on to keep the engine clean.

10. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Bench sync done, valve cover not dry yet, cool day here today. I also moved the rags off the top of the valves and broke the gasket. It was old and very brittle so I am guess it is for the best. I don't like to spend money on my mistakes though. We will have steady rain for the next day or two, so bike riding is off anyway. Takes a few days for the new gasket to get here and then I can rig up a fuel line and see if she will run. I also slapped some sealant on the intake carb boot holders. They look to have cracks and better safe than sorry.

11. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Just sent a email registration to the XS11.com folks lets see what happens. I was not sure if the folks above tried that or not. As you can tell I got in today and was able to get good info.

12. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

Timbox, k-moe and JetmechMarty like this.
  13. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I am having no luck getting the emulsion tubes out of my carbs. I have tried after soaking the cabrs, PB blaster soaking, Chem tool soaking and added some heat today to get them out. They are not moving! Using a small socket working down from the top into the venture and making sure the socket outside is smaller than the jet its self. "They look clean" is not good for me at this point. The gaskets for the valve cover will get here this week and I just hate to button her all up and not get them tubes out and really cleaned. Any advice?

14. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Not having issues, having a brain fart. Thank goodness I didn't wack away on those things. For some reason I had in my head the wrong way. How many carb racks I have I rebuild. Anyway, good thing I pulled them and good note for anyone that things they can just spray and clean.
    [​IMG]DSCN0271 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    Number 3 was nasty!
    [​IMG]DSCN0272 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    So letting them soak for a bit after hitting them with brash brush. Will compressed air them and also a bread tie wire to make sure. The look through light test before they go back in.

k-moe likes this.
  15. JetmechMarty

The middle emulsion tubes are different than the ones on the outside.

16. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

That is from the tower in the bowl the comes into the venture area of the carb. I have a little one too that feeds the tower with a flat head screw blocking gas from coming up. I was shocked that one and only one was still nasty

17. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

She lives!!! Got the valve gasket on and was waiting on a "C" list person to show up so I thought what the heck. Put the carbs on and a AUX fuel tank, primed the heck out of the carbs, looked over at the fire extinguisher on the wall just for a reminder and touched the starter. It sure feels good when you know the carbs are good when it starts and sounds so good. Ran at 1k from the bench sync and I didn't even have to adjust the idle, that was just stupid luck! I have to take the carbs back off to get the air box back in place, just I just had to get the bike running.

The head light was not working even though it is good, so that is a trouble for another day. Looking forward to getting the air box and tank back on her. The white vinegar has been sitting for over a week and did a great job. Power washed the inside, hit it with some B12 chem tool to dry it quick and then added about a gal of gas. Put a little mystery oil in there and splashed it around. I am hoping this will stop any flash rusting that could happen.

Not too sure what I will be doing with the gas octopus and or stock petcocks, not too sure I like them. The gas filters on the petcocks that go up into the tanks are more or less shot. Not too sure how the suction thing will work but I do know they turn on and off well.

18. JetmechMarty

Those screens that fit the fuel cocks are still available from the mothership. This from XS650.com:

So.... turns out the petcock kit from Mikes was a waste of 25 bucks. Never could get a good seal on the diaphragms o-ring. Even stretched the spring about 25% longer and let the seal soak in gas for a few days. Since I got all the other seals from Partzilla, the little o-ring was all I needed... but the old one was too crushed to measure, So I guess the 25 bucks wasn't a total waste. :rolleyes:
    Anyway.... bought some Viton seals. Installed diameter of Mikes seal was 7.59mm. The Viton installed is 7.94mm. Seals up just fine now and doesn't restrict flow when vacuum pulls it open. Got my happy face on... :D
    Mikes seal is on the left, Viton on the right. It's noticeably bigger....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's a great tutorial on rebuilding these valves somewhere on this forum.

19. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Hey Marty, is this image for the vac diaphragm on the octopus, or on a vac-operated petcock (and if so, which model?)

20. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Mine looked much better than that and seems to be working. Rinsed the tank today and after installing fuel filters got the tank back on. I have to admit after the struggles with other bikes and getting the carbs and air box boots on, this bike was not bad. Holding the air box back with a screw driver was all you really need to do. That and the normal wiggle it in and watch all the hoses and cables. The air box boots to on almost with the push forward of the air box. Still need boot clamps to secure them to the back of the carbs.

Changed the oil today, seemed to me more than needed but it didn't smell like gas. Started working on the new fuse box today, may need to lengthen two of the wires to make it fit in the same holes the old once came out of. I sure hate the bus fuse things and really like these bikes with the spade fuses.

Not too sure if I will be keeping the octopus fuel thing or not. It just seems like I always turn petock off all the time so why have it in there. So many hoses and that vacuum things is strange. I did test the tank over night to make sure the fuel off did not leak any gas so I don't have to worry about hypo lock or getting all the fuel in the crankcase.