1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982-1983 Seca Turbo differences

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Crankwalk, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Crankwalk

Crankwalk Member

From Vince's Seca Page:
    OFTEN ASKED: What is the difference between the 1982 and 1983 model turbo?

Really only about three things changed for the 1983 model year. 1st was the front forks were replaced with a thicker (by a whopping 1mm... and I'm being sarcastic here!) design. 2nd was an increase in gas tank capacity. (Up an extra gallon) and last was the addition of the turbo "Power up Kit" which brought an extra 4 lbs of boost to the bike.

So this got me thinking, I have an 82 Turbo and I am having an 83 Turbo seat sent to me in the mail and I'm wondering if that seat will fit on my 82?

For those of you that have added the larger gas tank from the 83, did you have to change your seat?

What other differences are there between the two years for future reference for those buying parts thinking they were pretty much the same?

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Looks like the part # for the 83 seat has been superseded by the 82 part #.
    You're good.

3. Crankwalk

Crankwalk Member

Interesting. I'm kind of getting conflicting info on if the pan is different underneath and latches differently. It's not a huge deal but I just didn't want to pay the $80 to ship that 83 seat I had up here to Alaska if I'm going to have to just recover my 82 seat anyway.

From the XJ Parts catalog:

HCP16468 OEM rebuilt original COMPLETE SEAT ASSEMBLY, cover, foam, and pan, ready to install. Seat under-brackets, hinges and hinge plates, latches, catches, hardware, document holder, side grab handles, and bumper pads are not included and should be transferred from your original seat. Fits all 1982 XJ650LJ Turbo models (does not fit 1983 models). This is an original (used) seat that has a new seat cover properly installed, the seat foam rebuilt to original contour and density, and is completely ready to install once your hardware and bumpers are transferred from your original seat pan. Since original seat pans and foam structures are used in the construction of this replacement seat, you can be assured of a proper look and fit of this seat onto your bike.....just drop it on and ride! NOTE: original seat trade-in required. A core charge of $125.00 required with order (not included in the price below), which is completely refunded when an original XJ650LJ model seat pan and foam is traded back in to us. Trade-in core pan must not be damaged (rusted, burned, twisted, cut, stripped-out studs or threaded inserts, or have the seat cover mounting tabs broken off) and must have the original seat foam or it will be refused and returned to you!
    $ 369.95 + $ 125.00 refundable core charge

4. Crankwalk

Crankwalk Member

For what its worth, I got the 83 seat today and sure enough everything transferred over and works fine on the 82. Just for future reference.

5. Crankwalk

Crankwalk Member

Just for reference here are the seat pans in case anybody searches for it.

Any other differences besides the few in the first post?

Attached Files:

6. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Congrats Crank on your bike. I have a garage full of very fun vintage bikes but my turbo, once it's making serious boost, puts a grin on my face that none of the others do....so I keep it!

You nailed the differences with a minor change to to the dash too. The 83 tank is considered gold to many turbo owners because of its extra capacity. The Canadian models speeds goes up to 150/240mph/kph which makes it the only way to know how fast you are going if you open 4th gear!

Thanks for posting,

jeff

Attached Files:

Crankwalk likes this.