1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 XJ750RJ Seca anti dive delete

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Scott schottenheimer, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Scott schottenheimer

Scott schottenheimer New Member

Hello all. I've been searching the forum for 3 days now looking for a build from a few years ago and I just can't find it so I'll ask my question here.
    Firstly I would like to let you know the background. This was my first bike from a few years ago that I was going to build. After figuring out what I wanted to do I realized that I didn't have the skills yet to do it So I put it to the side and built 3 other bikes and now I want to finish what I started.
    I'm building the bike into a cafe racer and lowered the rear 2 inches with shocks already. The front was lowered the same by passing the fork tubes through the triple trees. I want to run the clamp on bars because I like the way it looks. My problem is the air hole is now clamped behind the triple tree and I have heard that I can use aluminum braze to seal the hole, is this true? Also, can I just put a bolt in the anti dive units at the brake line connection to disable them? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    This is how it sits now and the holes I was talking about.

Attached Files:

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

yes to the bolt and washer or you could remove it and put a plate where it was.
    maybe look into 750 maxim fork tubes

gotta say thats a radical change you want to do to your forks.

3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

nope
    there's no aluminum there. to use anything other than gasket in a tube your going to have to get rid of the chrome in the hole and it's chamfer, nothing sticks to chrome.
    if your good with a soldering gun you could seal it with 60/40 lead solder, or it could be tig'd shut and filed smooth

4. Scott schottenheimer

Thanks guys for responding. And i now feel like an idiot for not thinking of the Maxim fork tubes. I'll just have to get the full front forks and brakes, wheel system. Pretty sure I seen one on Facebook marketplace the other day. I'll keep you posted.

5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

If I remember right, I was going to do the same thing on a older model FJ1200, the block off plates is what was recommended at the time. You can fab a set up or but them. I don't know how just the bolt would work. Eventuality the fluid will have to be changed or flushed and you will have to take bolt out and clean that up. If you remove the dive assembly and just put plates on them, you will only have to do it once.

6. 50gary

50gary Active Member

Hi, I saw your project. I happen to have a 1982 XJ 750 Maxim front end complete that I'm not going to use, I've already purchase and prepped a newer USD forks from an R1. Anyway I'm in Saginaw, Michigan 48601 and it's the forks, triple clamps, rotors, calipers, wheel, fender, even the headlight and gauges if you want/ need them? $100.00 plus the shipping. Condition is used from an old bike. Just saw your post and thought I'd drop a line.
    Cheers, 50gary

7. Scott schottenheimer

50gary I'll take you up on that. I'll send you a PM. Thanks

8. Mobius Williams

Mobius Williams Member

I have an 81 Seca and a 82 Maxim parts bike. Used the Forks brakes and rotors from the Maxim on the Seca and works great.

9. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Drill and tap the air hole for a grub screw. Insert the screw with red locktite.
    Problem solved, and you only lose the adjustable air spring, while being able to retain the anti-dive.

If you want to go a step further you can drill and tap the fork caps to accept the schrader valve housings from the air collars, thereby retianing the ability to adjust the air-spring.

While it's not a modern fork, the adjustability of the stock setup is worlds better than a simple damper fork.

10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

It changed how the bike handles though. Maybe not in a bad way, but the OP shuld be told so he can make a decision with that in mind.