1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim Exhaust System Question

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by craiygxj, Apr 10, 2017.

1. craiygxj

craiygxj Member

Purchased these header pipes and exhaust mufflers off eBay from a reputable seller with a ton of XJ parts, said they came off of a working bike as one unit (see links for photos). While it's hard to tell header pipes apart and if they are stock or not from images, clearly the mufflers and rest of the exhaust is not the stock XJ650J part. That being said, it seems people say there shouldn't be a problem with aftermarket exhaust mufflers, will just change the look and sound a bit...possibly a small hit to performance.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-LUXVCBbs--UEFZSGNXMWRhTDA

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-LUXVCBbs--N0VsSVAwZWFIbDg

As for mechanics and functionality before I take off on a big trip on this bike, the exhaust mufflers are not coming with the cross-over pipe these XJ650 Maxims used instead of the exhaust collector system. With my 4-to-1 exhausts now I don't have a cross-over pipe to swap out because the congregation of the pipes (may or may not) already act as the collector system. Can any straight pipe that I properly cut myself be used as the cross-over pipe to connect the two exhaust mufflers?

P.S. - while technical advice is very much appreciated, if anyone happens to have stock exhaust mufflers for the '82 xj650 maxim for both sides, would be an even better answer to the question.

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Pipes look ok.....assuming the right part numbers are on them. The mufflers should work, just cut a pipe to make the crossover. You get better performance with the crossover as it balances the exhaust pulses, and makes the bike run smoother.

The fact that the mufflers are aftermarket, things won't necessarily line up perfectly stock, so ai don't think it'll matter if the pipes aren't quite the right ones, either........ Some custom bracket finagling, and you should be fine.

Dave F