1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1983 XJ 750 maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Edgar Olivo, May 25, 2019.

1. Edgar Olivo

Edgar Olivo Member

I'm currently trying to replace a leaking head gasket I have the engine in TDC, Cam marks line up with the cam cap marks, Tensioner removed. I'm trying to take the sprocket out but it keeps moving the cams out of TDC is there a way to remove the cams without taking out the sprockets.

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

cams are going to move unbolt the sprockets and cam caps as long as motor remains tdc( you can readjust that your all set. reassembly in Haynes and FSM covers cam realinment

valves do that to the cam

3. Edgar Olivo

Edgar Olivo Member

I can't remove the sprockets, Every time I try to take the bolts off the engine moves before the bolt.

4. Edgar Olivo

Edgar Olivo Member

Can I remove the two caps that restrict access to the sprocket nuts so I can get better access to them with an impact driver?

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

DO NOT USE AN IMPACT DRIVER.

There are flats machined into the camshaft just opposite of the sprocket. They are for a wrench so you can hold the camshaft in place while you remove the sprocket holding bolts.

I'm in a snarky mood, so apologies for the following comment.
    Buy and read the service manual BEFORE tearing into an engine.
    Dissasembly procedures are thoroughly covered, and the manual costs a lot less than a replacement engine. You will also find the correct sequence for removiing and installing the head nuts so you don't warp the head, and the correct sequence for the cam retaining caps so you don't ruin the bearings.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    Edgar Olivo and XJ550H like this.