1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1983 XJ750 Maxim Bobber

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by AndrewDavis, May 17, 2017.

1. AndrewDavis

AndrewDavis New Member

Attempting to make a bobber out of my 1983 XJ750 Maxim. The bike runs great so mainly just cosmetic adjustments.

I've started to tear it apart a little bit but I plan to, change the handlebars (buck horn handlebars to drag bar), headlight (rectangle to round), speedometer (remove unit and replace with singular speedo unit), in the future I plan to cut down the back and get a single seat.. but one step at a time right?

IMG_4542_1.jpg
    This is how it looked before I started the work.
    IMG_4541.JPG
    One handle bar taken off.. I also need to replace my brake master cylinder unit so waiting to take off the other handlebar until that arrives.
    IMG_4552.JPG
    Headlight, fog light and headlight bracket removed. The headlight bracket was rusty so I'm using some steel wool on the chrome and then I'm going to prime and paint it black.

I purchased a new 7" headlight on ebay that should just fit right into that bracket without me having to purchase anything more.

I'm a major newby at all of this and I'm just having fun breaking the bike down and learning as I go.

I have a question about the handle bars though.. If I want to put drag bars on there what mounts do I buy if I don't want to go through the hassle of replacing the whole triple tree?

Thanks, I'm sure I'll have more questions and I'll be sure to upload pictures as I go.

2. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

The upper triple clamp will accept xj650 maxim , seca or 750 seca or later 750 maxim handle bar clamps. And there's lots of them around

Attached Files:

AndrewDavis likes this.
  3. AndrewDavis

AndrewDavis New Member

Thanks!

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Last edited: May 24, 2017