1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1983 Yamaha XJ750 SECA light issues

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cimpala67, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Cimpala67

Cimpala67 New Member

I have a 1983 Yamaha SECA 750 and the other day I was riding and noticed my dash lights and my brake running light went out. When I bought the bike the fuse panel was upgraded to a modern blade type fuse style. I checked all the fuses and nothing seems to be wrong. I checked the manual and there is no reference to running lights or dash lights in the manual what so ever. the headlight still comes on and the brake light still works when the brake pedal or lever is actuated. but no running lights, dash lights or license plate lights. Everything else (Blinkers included) works perfectly fine. Was wondering if anybody has ran into the same problem and has a quick fix. Haven't messed with the wiring on this bike yet and since it was rebuilt a couple years back and updated i'm not sure how accurate the manual is going to be for me.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

there is a 5 amp fuse in headlight bucket that controls the blue wire to tail light and cluster lights

5amp.PNG

Oblivion, raskal and Cimpala67 like this.
  3. Cimpala67

Cimpala67 New Member

I appreciate it! i found it and sure enough it was burnt out. gonna throw a new one in and test it all out. Thank you!

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

next question is why it blew. could be it was just time or dirty connections

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The wires to the taillight are in a place where the seat can pinch them against the frame if the routing was ever disturbed from factory.

6. The Donkey

The Donkey New Member

I have The same issue, bit i cant, for The lige of me locate The damned 5 amp fuse

7. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

I no longer have a headlight bucket, but I assume it's in there. The inline fuse is on a blue wire, and on my '81, the fuse holder looks like this:
    PXL_20220901_140127645.jpg