1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1985 Maxim XJ700 winter paint, Polish and tune.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Colin 85 700, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Fuller56

Fuller56 Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    RE: your exhaust headers and pipes, I have used Jet Hot Coatings on a couple of motorcycle exhausts and am very happy with the results. They have 2 places of operation, 1 somewhere in Arizona as the other fellow told you, and 1 in Burlington, North Carolina. They are not cheap by a long shot. I had the 4 headers and crossover for a Kawasaki Concours done close to 10 years ago and it was about $200. That they did not have to sandblast chrome off which is an extra cost. I don't remember what it cost to have my header pipes and collector done for the XJ650 Seca but I am very happy with the result. Shipping costs will be frightening as well. But if you can afford it the results are awesome, quality of work very, very nice. They do a lot of work for top fuel drag racers and such.
    John

2. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

Thanks john! Ill check em out

3. Colin 85 700

Refurbished the starter today....
    Armature just needed a touch of scotch brite n it was mint, dabbed grease on the bushings, good to go.
    Almost seemed like a waste of time but better to check than regret! Lol! :)

4. Colin 85 700

Never been in a bike alternator before....
    I should probly check now that im on that side...
    Any early tips? ;)

5. Chitwood

Chitwood Active Member

Dont use anything abrasive to clean commutator rings. An eraser works well. There's a line on each brush that shows its discard length, other than that it's pretty straightforward. If you find oil behind that cover the seal behind the rotor needs replacing