1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1985 XJ700 Maxim - Idling Issue

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Isaac4312, Sep 21, 2026.

  1. Isaac4312

    Isaac4312 New Member

    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    Minnesota
    Hello all, I am currently experiencing one issue with my bike that I purchased a few months ago. This problem has been persistent but seems to be getting worse with time.

    The problem is that the bike will not start and hold an idle especially while cold unless I am actively giving it throttle. Adding choke typically kills it during this, but if choke is on before attempting the start plus throttle, it will hold.

    The issue has gotten worse in the fact that it will occasionally die completely when I come to a stop, as it cannot hold an idle at even that time. The issue does seem to improve as the engine warms up, and will hold an idle after it is well warmed.

    I have been told the problem is likely my carbs, possibly the idle being somewhat or completely clogged, and a full carb clean/rebuild has been recommended to me. I just put about four ounces of techron fuel treatment in my tank and plan to continue riding and hope that it helps, but also wanted to seek out advice from others, as I am not very experienced with repair, but am willing to learn!

    Thanks in advance, all.
     
  2. cds1984

    cds1984 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,284
    Likes Received:
    310
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    Perth, Western Australia
    @chacal made a great statement in a yics thread earlier.
    We basically have 4 engines to tune due to each carb supplying fuel/air to each cylinder.
    Yes have a look through the how to forum and absorb. It's good reading.
    There is no simple answer and no chemical that will get it running right but knowledge will help.

    Hey... Ive have 2 of these bikes for a long time and the one overiding negligence on my behalf is how to tune them easily. (I generally feel I am lucky when they run perfectly)
     

Share This Page