1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1986 Fazer FZX700 project

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Avi, Apr 5, 2020.

1. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I believe you’re looking at part of the piece that threads into part #8. If that’s the case, I think the emulsion tube should be able to be pushed out through the slide bore and then you can either try to extract the broken threaded piece, or just replace both it and the tube. Unless I’m looking at it wrong.......

been awhile since I’ve been in carbs like those......

2. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Correct on Hogfiddles in it being #8 in your exploded diagram. Here's a different view from the factory manual in the 4th picture down: Plug 1 / Washer 2, and the main nozzle 3

Attached Files:

3. xHondaHack

Also, with the low fuel light sender, It'll need a replacement and are available new:
    Part # 1UF-85752-03-00
    Babbits is good for a lot of what's still available:
    https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/l/yam/500429d0f8700209bc7892d0/1986-fazer-fzx700s-parts

Hopefully the fuel pump is good because they're like hens teeth.

The tank looks like it needs a serious cleaning.
    I've had great success with Evaporust and Rustoleum Rust Dissolver.

Also, not sure if you know this, but you have a California spec model having the extra fuel breather "roll over valve" and I'm sure you have the vapor canister on the frame that is not pictured as well.

I like your organized layout of the carbs, but make sure you keep the main jets you took out of each carb body with their respective carbs. They are staggered sizes. 1 and 4 are the same, and 2 and 3 will be a different size if they've never been changed.

Here's a good source of carb kits for the FZR750 as none are available for the FZ750 or FZX700:
    https://www.cruzinimage.net/2017/12...50-carb-repair-kits-carburetor-4-repair-kits/
    You'll have to use your original main nozzles/needles and main jets but everything else will work.

Chacal (Len) should be able to source compatible throttle shaft o-rings and throttle plate screws:
    XJ4ever.com

Lastly, is your wife OK with you using a cookie sheet?

Tony

4. Avi

Avi Member

I had no doubt I will get here the help I need!

I will start with the cookie sheet concern @xHondaHack raised ;-)
    I ordered a state of the art $20 mechanics tray from Amazon but I guess it's not considered to be an essential item these days hence the shipping will take about two weeks so to the Dollar store I went and a $4 baking tray I got and it works like a charm... we will have to wait and see what's the difference between a 4$ vs $20 trays.

Since I have no clue what I am doing I am trying to be as organized as I can because this is the only way I might have a chance to put it all back together.

As for the plug I was able to extract the broken part from the carb body but I don't have enough thread on the plug itself in order to use it so I will need to order two of these.

The fuel tank is indeed filthy and I will have to clean it somehow. I used vinegar on my other motorcycle and it did an okay job but I might take your advise and try either Evaporust or Rustoleum.

I did get a little bit intimidated today by the shape of things and by the scope of the project I got myself into but then I figured it's a few hundred dollars for therapy, which is very affordable therapy in NYC ;-)

My previous experience of working on a motorcycle was oil change, spark plug change, some other fluids flush and change but nothing on this level of taking the motorcycle apart and putting it back together. I really hope I will be able to do it...

As always thank you all, be safe and stay healthy!

5. hogfiddles

Sounds like you’ll be juuuuuuuussttt fine :)

6. Avi

Avi Member

Good evening all,

I am back with some progress, some questions and a devastating revelation...

Please see the attached pictures for the below issues and quesitons.

I got the carburetor cleaned but not assembled yet since I need to buy some broken parts, float needle valves, plugs, float chamber O-rings and I am thinking of buying a set of new screws for the float cover and the vacuum cover, the ones I have are meh.

I have a pilot air jet that I couldn't remove since it's stripped. I just cleaned it and left it as it is. Should I try to take it out somehow or can it stay as it is for now.

I was able to take out three spark plugs but I can't take out spark plug number 3 and I don't want to apply too much force not to break it. I sprayed some PB Blaster and I will try again tomorrow but if anyone has a professional suggestion I would much appreciate it.

The devastating revelation I found out about today is that the engine is seized!

I didn't want to check it before since I wanted to have some lubrication in the cylinders before I do it so after taking out the three spark plugs I applied some Marvel Mystery Oil into these three cylinders shifted to 5th gear and tried to turn the wheel but nothing moved. I then connected a battery and tried to kick it with the starter and same result no movement.

This is something I wasn't expecting when I bought the motorcycle but after seeing the spark plugs I had a bad feeling this is what I am about to face. My first reaction was that I have to get rid of this motorcycle but after thinking about it I decided to see if I can resolve this without taking the engine out and doing a full overhaul, which is not feasible with my working environment.

So...what do I do next? I filled the three cylinders I had access to with the MMO and I guess I will wait a day or two to see what happens but again any professional expert advise from this forum will be much appreciated.

And once again, as always, thank you in advance, be safe and stay healthy!
    IMG_0831.JPG IMG_0828.JPG IMG_0819.JPG

7. hogfiddles

If the engine is seized, and a plug is seized.... just yank the engine and pull the head off. You’ll probably find it’s time for a different engine

8. Avi

Avi Member

I am afraid that this kind of restoration is out of the scope of work I am able to put into it. I work outside in our 10'x10' front yard and I am not sure I will be able to have an engine disassembled in the space I have.

I will try to find a way to get the stuck spark plug out and make the engine turn and if I won't have success here I will have to recalculate this project.

9. hogfiddles

you may just be fighting a against the gear train and just aren’t turning hard enough... just a thought. Have you pulled off the left engine cover? Put it in neutral, and carefully use a 19mm wrench on the square center to turn the engine.

1. Rotation is counterclockwise
    2. Be careful but to hit the little Pick-Up coils metal tips. With 3 out of four plugs out, you’ll have less compression to fight against.

Then you can bring it up the the great CNYCCBB...Central New York Carb Clinic Boneyard of Bikes. LOL

Andrew Nichols likes this.
  10. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Just a suggestion if you have a borescope you can look inside the cylinders and see if there is any visual damage to the bores like scoring. Might just have the rings needing freed with some automatic transmission fluid and acetone mix?

Timbox likes this.
  11. hogfiddles

But still gotta get that stuck plug out of the one cyl to be able to get a scope in there.....

12. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

True.

13. Avi

Avi Member

Good afternoon,

I filled the three available cylinders with MMO and I will give it some time to do it's thing.

I tried to work on the seized spark plug and I decided that I need a better socket, I have an amazon cheapo thing so I will get a better one with better plug grip and a better handle. Any recommendations?

I would LOVE to attend the CNYCCBB!

I am sure it will be an event to remember even with social distancing, maybe, still in place.

Be safe and stay healthy!

14. hogfiddles

Make sure you are using a 6pt socket, not a 12pt socket

15. Avi

Avi Member

The exact reason I feel uncomfortable with the socket I have. I use it since I have it but I always had bad experience with the 12 point sockets.

I looked at shops around me and it's hard to find metric tools.

I might end up ordering online and wait for it.

16. Avi

Avi Member

Does anyone have a recommendation for a thin wall deep socket for the spark plug?

I looked and I saw a few 12pt sockets, which I have, and no 6pt thin wall socket. I am afraid a regular deep socket won't fit.

Thank you, be safe and stay healthy!

17. ralden96

ralden96 Member

do you know anyone nearby that has a Fazer? the original kit came with a 6 point spark wrench that was about 3 inches long with an additional 3 inch section with a "pivot". It allowed better access to that plug.

Avi likes this.
  18. Avi

Avi Member

I don't think I know anyone with a Fazer :) which makes me very proud to have one...

This number 3 plug is indeed the hardest to reach.

But you gave me an idea to maybe look for an original tool set it will be a nice thing to have regardless.

I spray some PB Blaster apply some moderate pressure both counter clockwise and clockwise and I will do it for a few days maybe it will give up. I do the same with the seized engine I add some Marvel Mystery Oil and roll the bike back and forth it might give up as well...

Be safe and stay healthy!

19. xHondaHack

Avi,

Guess I don't count yet that you "know" me. I have 2 Fazers.......check my signature.

Sounds like a curveball thrown at you with the stuck plug. I found an extra deep spark plug socket from Motion Pro:
    18mm 12 point # 08-0175
    https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0175

You should also be looking into a proper manual for it too because you'll discover that the correct way to turn that style engine over is via a bolt with a jam nut in the left side of the crankshaft.

You'll have to remove the small side cover and pickup cover. Lock down you're bolt with the jam nut, and rotate counter-clockwise. Sure would help to have all the spark plugs out to eliminate compression resistance.

Tony

P.S. Don't throw anything away.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Franz likes this.
  20. hogfiddles

And I have a fazer 700