1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1986 yamaha XJ700S gas leak

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Zack W-M, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Zack W-M

Zack W-M New Member

Hi everyone! New to the forum, new(ish) owner of a sweet 1986 XJ700S. Bike has been running like a champ for the last month or so since purchase, but tonight it had its first hiccup and I'm not sure whats going on. I rode about 30 miles tonight, freeway and streets, and the whole time I kept smelling gas. When I arrived at my destination the bike was leaking a considerable amount of gas from what I assume is a breather tube (black rubber) coming out of the carbs on the right (braking) side of the bike. Back story, when I got on the bike I noticed a clear tube hanging down under the bike where I had not noticed it before. I traced it back to the carb tank under the side cover on the same side as the leak. Help! did this tube just come loose? or is something bigger happening. The bike became very hard to start, even when warm after riding. Cranking but not firing and turning over. Once I got it running again, I tested to see what would happen if I plugged the leaking hose with my finger, and it made the bike stutter and stall. I look forward to any helpful insights. I'm mechanically inclined, with access to basic tools, as well as a collective shop fitted out with every tool one might need. I look forward to any help, suggestions or otherwise. Thanks in advance!

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Sound like you may have a stuck float , or needle , your carbs have extra breather hoses that the 550,650,750 do not . I suggest pulling the tank up and tracing the lines, and take a screw driver and tapping the float bowls with the handle end, it may dislodge float. If it still is leaking you probably should pull carbs , many times the float needle tip gets grooved and can leak . Best to replace .

Colin 85 700, Franz and Chitwood like this.
  3. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Sounds like you have a california model.... you have over flow tubes, AND you have an extra tube to the canister under the right side cover. The vapor line should go from that canister back up to the nipple under the back end of the tank. It vents fumes back to the tank. Did THAT come off?

Clear tube is probably battery overflow tube