1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

2nd ground strap on engine?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Robinwolfy, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Robinwolfy

Robinwolfy New Member

I picked up a 1980 XJ650 Maxim and the previous owner had given up partway through making the bike barebones. So I ended up having to rebuild and replace things that were just cut-off, left out, or otherwise MIA. This is my first XJ bike so I'm learning as I go. I found a second ground strap attatched to the engine case and have no idea where this is supposed to run to. Can anyone help? 20181017_111510.jpg

2. fiveofakind

fiveofakind Well-Known Member

You are in the general area of where that should be grounded.....ground it to a bolt just over from the choke cable.........that is where it is grounded on my '82 XJ750J Maxim......

Where is the other one grounded ? Also, clean the connections before grounding .....makes for a better ground....

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  3. Robinwolfy

Robinwolfy New Member

The other ground cable is from battery to case. 20181017_121805.jpg Thumb is positioned on battery to case, index is on unknown.

4. fiveofakind

What is the other end of the one you want to attach ?

5. Robinwolfy

Robinwolfy New Member

1539793774887865625248.jpg A ring terminal. It goes from case to nothing.

6. fiveofakind

I just looked at my bike.....there are two ground straps.......one from battery to bolt by choke cable.......which I can see in your pic ( correct )

My other goes from ground point under left emblem cover to the second bolt over from the other ground strap...... just an added insurance for another ground cable for entire bike.....

Your ground cable looks smashed that your index finger is on ? Do you have an eye loop on both ends of the cable you are questioning ?

7. Robinwolfy

Robinwolfy New Member

Yeah, that metal flash my finger is on is a cable tie? Just a bit of metal holding all the wires together. So the second ground just goes from where the rec/reg is located to the engine? 1539796461333526914316.jpg Here? It feels like that is where the cable naturally wants to lie.

8. fiveofakind

Yes...it can go from any good solid ground point on the frame to that (any ) bolt on the engine case.....

9. Robinwolfy

Robinwolfy New Member

Thanks! At least that is together, now to solve another problem.

10. fiveofakind

Here are my pics

20181017_093844.jpg 20181017_093940.jpg

in the second pic, the battery cable is grounded to the bolt on the other side of choke cable.

The second ground is is 2 bolts over on the engine case.....the other end being behind the left cover

Attached Files: