1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

550 vs 650 Seca

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Bigshankhank, Aug 12, 2017.

?

Which is a better overall bike

1. 550 Seca

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. 650 Seca

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

While I like my XJ700, I have always really loved the look of the Seca. I have begun searching for local Secas and am seeing a lot more 650's than 550's and other than the obvious differences in displacement and final drive, is it worth holding out for a 550? I did thoroughly enjoy the 550 Maxim I had years ago, and I tend to appreciate light weight vs power. No preference between the looks of the two bikes, a silver/blue 650 is just a sexy as a white w/ red striped 550 to me.
    Thoughts? Pros v cons of either?

2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I voted for the 650 because it is what I know. I admit I've never ridden the 550 but I do think it's the real looker of the XJ series. Shaft is nice when trying to keep an old bike shiny.

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

This is much like asking if Nicole Kidman or Leah Remini would be a better date.
    I'm pretty sure that you'd have a good time with either one.

I will say that trying to find a good example of a Seca 650 is going to take more time, and set you back some coin, while 550s are relatively plentiful.

4. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Then go with the 650. It is actually more rare, one year only. Plus it looks better, forget kmoe's Kidman and Rimini, that big headlight is pure Scarlett Johannson!

I know taste is personal, but I think the 750rl is better than the 550 as well.

5. Bigshankhank

Well that raises another issue, how does the 750 compare? Pictures of it seem a little bulkier than the two smaller bikes, is that an optical illusion or is it really a larger bike?
    For reference, I am a mid sized guy, 5'-7" and bikes like big twin Harley's make me look like I'm riding my dads bike. Not that any of the Seca's compare in size the Harley, but still I don't want something overly large, again I prefer lightness to sheer power.

As to Kmoe, Seca 550's seem to be much harder to find in a Florida, even compared to most other bikes overall, I don't know where they are plentiful but not near me.

6. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

As I understand it, Seca and Maxim are pretty much the same size. The difference comes from the seating position- with Maxim you are sitting in the bike, versus the Seca with it's sporting seat, where you're sitting on top. If you fit your Max, you'll probably fit the Seca, especially the 550. The 650&750 are so similar that they share the same Haynes manual.

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The 750 is almost the same physical size as the 650. The 750 does weigh a tad more, but it also has more cool hi-tech features.

8. Bigshankhank

Oh I'm not worried about fitting on either one, it's just a matter of seeing the proportions of the bike and making sure that I look good riding it. That's right, it's all about vanity.

hogfiddles likes this.
  9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

I will speak of the 550 Maxim vs 750 maxim.
    I like the light weight of the 550 but the sitting position is a little cramped compared to the 750 maxim

the 550 has its quickness and speed it pulls well, but when I hit the throttle on the 750 it is like the bike wants to leave me behind, pull right out from under me.
    only down side to the 550 is the constant cleaning of the chain oil mess both when applying it and after riding it

if it about looking good go with the bigger bike.