1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

750 Virago issues

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by XJ550H, May 5, 2016.

1. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

I recall that the 750 virago had starter problems can anyone tell me what the problems were.

got a note today from someone today wanting to give me one.
    did not say what year just that is was mine if I wanted it.

from what i see on internet there were early 750 81-83 then 700 then 750 again.

what are the common problems?

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

You want it. Get it.
    The 81-83 bikes were monoshock rear, and share most parts with the 920.

The spring clips that control the starter gears can weaken and make the gears bounce off of each other instead of engaging.
    The sun gear in the starter case can spin in the case. It's held in by a series of shims that act as a starter clutch of sorts (so the starter isn't damaged on kickback), but eventually it slips both ways and prevents the stater from turning the engine over. The usual fix is to either re-shim the gear, or secure it to the starter case so it can never slip.
    Once the sun gear is tended to, and the spring clips are replaced with new, the starter will work well, but it will always sound like a box of rocks when engaged.
    The real fix is to swap parts from the later U.S. model XV1000, or XV1100, but those are getting pricey. When the Virago was new Yamaha U.S.A cheaped-out on the starter system in order to meet a price point. The rest of the world got a true Bendix-type starter (which is what was used on the later bikes mentioned above).
    There is a full write-up on http://viragotechforum.com

Aside from the starter issue there are no real issues (though some people have trouble with the carbs and go to a single carb setup. I see no reason for that myself) other than the usual for any old bike.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  3. XJ550H

i read a quick artical about being noisey and needing shims or spring replacment

thanks for the info nothing better than a free bike, I will talk to the guy tomorrow. I fixed his truck for him last week upper lower ball joints and starter. they were going to soak him at the auto shop.

4. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

Well, if you don't want it.... Talk to me....

5. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I had an 82 750 Virago ...actually miss it. Except the starter issue, went thru 3 starters (covered by warranty ) Got Dr. Viragos shim and spring kit solved problem. The carb kits I got had 122 main jets , fine for 84 up WRONG for an 82 front 124 rear 132 . Rear pipe glowed orange with 122 ...found a small chart in manual listing jet sizes, place I got kits from insisted 122 was correct size...boy was he wrong. After removing the peanut butter from carbs ( bike sat from 84 to 2008 when I bought it 4500 miles) cleaning carbs, putting new air filter in , tires, brakes , battery. I bought it for 400$ sold it for 1600$ I had about 400$ in it in parts. I'd buy another if I could find one as clean as the one I had. ( and had the money of course fat chance)

6. RTB

RTB Member

I know I'm late to this party but I'm curious if you got the 750 Virago? I've got an 82 xv920 Virago I bobbed and also an 83 xv750 Virago that's in the works after I get the 82 xj750 seca done. I love my 920.

7. XJ550H

the virago currently sits in the back of my barn awaiting its turn.
    currently working on My maxim repairs due to a disagreement between me and a moose on who should be on the roadway.
    seca front end is also waiting on being installed after rebuilding forks and replacing headstock bearings.
    last day of repairs riding for me was 6/30, close to riding again.