1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

81 xj550 bobber build

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by George Woods, Feb 25, 2018.

1. George Woods

George Woods Member

20180301_161520.jpg
    Started workingom my harness relocated the ignition n got the wiring just about all finished but can't get it to crank. Thinking i may have a bad solenoid being i bypassed the solenoid with the power probe n it cranks, i tried to probe the solenoid n i got nothing.
    20180301_211111.jpg
    20180301_211129.jpg
    20180301_211332.jpg
    20180301_211346.jpg 20180301_211411.jpg

2. George Woods

George Woods Member

3. George Woods

George Woods Member

4. George Woods

George Woods Member

5. George Woods

George Woods Member

Screenshot_20180305-121607.png Screenshot_20180305-002645.png
    Bars and tank should all be in by friday

6. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i see a flat bar going back from the brake pedal back. i don't care for that setup, flat bars that long can flex or bend when pushed on. get a pipe and flatten the ends, it might look better and will be stronger

Chitwood likes this.
  7. George Woods

George Woods Member

It's ridiculously strong steel it's like I could barely bend it had to heat it n beat it with a hammer to get the shape I wanted

8. George Woods

George Woods Member

Alots been done on the bike since I last posted but it's still not done. N still need carbs n pod filters and alot of parts I still do not have

9. George Woods

George Woods Member

IMG_20180803_194211900.jpg
    How the bike sits currently with the new road 6 customs holey roller bars, xj650 macom tank n battery cover, electrical is finally all done n working (besides lighting that still needs done)
    Brake linkage is made out of flat bar steel bit it's super strong it won't bend, I had to heat it n beat it with a hammer just to get it where it's at now, had copper bushing in it so it pivots properly, getting ready to paint it. Not doing anything crazy paint wise like I was originally planning. Doing it satin black with a matte finish clear and Jack Daniels logo's on it after i smooth out the tank.
    IMG_20180803_194204287.jpg
    Another pic of how it sits currently
    IMG_20180803_210413925.jpg
    Got the color changing LED lot all hooked up and wired in n mounted. Finally starting to come together but still a long way to go
    IMG_20180803_175156076.jpg
    My bike next to my buddies xj650 rat bobber he's building whikewe were working on the electrical on my bike IMG_20180803_210420852.jpg

10. George Woods

George Woods Member

I did get the TC bro's mustang style 3.3 gallon dual cap tank but i didn't like the way it looked, didn't really fit what I was going for n felt it looked out of place, so I swapped my buddy for his original xj650 tank that I like much better on my bike.

11. George Woods

George Woods Member

Next project is paint. As I said I'm doing a satin black matte clear and white jack daniels logo's on the tank n rear fender.
    Screenshot_20180915-173612~2.png
    This is the plan for the top of the tank
    Screenshot_20180915-173606~2.png
    Plans for side of tank
    Screenshot_20180915-173123~2.png
    Plans for top of rear fender Screenshot_20180916-160259~2.png
    And doing this on the side cover for the battery

12. George Woods

George Woods Member

Still haven't decided as to what to do with the wheels. Leave them alone, paint them red, paint them white, idk

13. George Woods

George Woods Member

Also while I'm painting the bike, at the same time I'm going to be painting my sbc 95 Chevy s10 project truck to match the bike. Doing it satin black with jack danikes logo's on the doors to cover up the ugly flame job that's on it now and it'll be getting lowered and a stained woodem flat bed. I have another parts S10 that I'm cutting the rear section of frame off and using the bed off of my truck to make a trailer to put my bike in. So ill have a matching truck & trailer to go along with the bike when every thing is all done
    IMG_20180917_183056135.jpg
    My 1995 chevy S10 sbc porject truck Screenshot_20180915-182817~2.png
    How I'm planning on painting the truck to match the bike

14. George Woods

George Woods Member

My next project after paint is going to be the lighting sustwm which i finally figured out what all I want. Screenshot_20180921-213947.png The switch I'm going to be going with, I feel it fits the style I'm going for with the bike,
    Screenshot_20180921-232137.png
    The turn signal/brake light module I'll be using to control everything.
    Screenshot_20180921-233638.png Screenshot_20180921-233648.png
    12 volts latching relay for the head light n tail light
    Screenshot_20180921-231815.png
    Brake light modulator I'm going to be using
    Screenshot_20180921-230831.png the rear brake switch I'll be using
    Screenshot_20180921-231002.png
    Front clutch lever and front master cylinder with front brake brake switch
    Screenshot_20180921-230616.png
    Copper style head light com going with with fork mount brackets
    Screenshot_20180921-230651.png
    Copper bullet style front n rear turn signals
    Screenshot_20180921-230628.png
    Rear tail/brake light with side mount plate bracket
    Screenshot_20180921-234313.png throttle lever I'm going to be using along with my black spike grips

After this is all done n the bike is painted and assembled i need to find longer throttle and clutch cables and someone to make me custom front steel braided brake hose from the master cylinder directly to the Caliper hoping to have a black steel braided line made with red ends

15. George Woods

George Woods Member

Hoping to have the bike painte and lighting all finished in the next month.

16. George Woods

George Woods Member

Ok so current plans and projects for the next month
    -All the white parts on the bone need to come off n be painted red
    -Tank needs to be stripped n smoothed where emblems mounted to the tank
    -Rear fender needs stripped, and some body work done
    -Paint tank and rear fender and side covers, satin black with white jack daniels logo's on the sides and top of tank, all jacked up logo on rear fender and striaght outta Youngstown come battery cover and then cleared with a matte finish clear coat
    -need to make linkage for the shifter side of the forward controls and drill out holes to mount the forward controls properly
    -get head light/turn signal switch
    -get turn signal/ brake light module
    -get brake light modulator
    -get latching relay for head light and tail light
    -get rear brake switch
    -ger red n black clutch lever and master cylinder with built-in front brake light switch
    -get copper housing head light and matching turn signals
    -get Maltese cross tail/brake light with side moint plate bracket
    -get black biltwell whiskey throttle 7/8 throttle lever
    -ger rid of metal bracket ignition switch is mounted to and mount it to the side cover for the other side
    -get wire, solder, shrink tube and tape to make lighting harness
    -get harness all done and lights all on n working and reassemble the bike
    -find correct length cables for throttle and clutch
    -get meausrement amd find someone to make custom black steel braided front brake with red anodized ends and get front brakes working

I know it seems like alot to accomplish but I feel if I get all the parts ordered and I spend my weekends when I'm off work cranking out work on the bike this should be achievable especially if I can find a friend to help.

17. George Woods

George Woods Member

Brought my bike home tonight so i can work on it at home. Got the ignition and the head light switch put in the side cover IMG_20180924_233140471_LL.jpg IMG_20180924_233134374_LL.jpg

18. George Woods

George Woods Member

Going to finish up the rear fender tomorrow , I need to even out where I cut it n then weld a spot where I nipped it with the plasma cutter when I was cutting it and then primer then sand it all down and primer it, and then I'm going to sand and prime the side covers as well, and then going to start smoothing the tank and fixing the dents in it n get it in primer then prep everything for paint. Hoping to get the paint n clear coat this weekend, and hopefully have the jack Daniels logo's next weekend so should be able have it all painted in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Then onto the lighting system.

19. George Woods

George Woods Member

After paint and lighting are all done, my next step is going to be the throttle lever, clutch lever, front brake master cylinder, one piece front brake hose, turn signal turn signal switch, finish making the shift linkage, and getting new sprockets n chain. Really hoping to have the bike 100% complete by spring.

20. George Woods

George Woods Member

Well more plans for my xj550 seca bobber project, currently trying to locate an fj600 bike for a donor for my bike. The motor is a direct swao onto the xj550 except for the rear motor mount bolt which needs to be longer which I could just use from the other bike. Want to swap because my bike stock has 50hp the fj609 has 72hp stock, so with that being said I'd like to port n polish the head and do a 3 angle valve job, I can transfer my custom exhaust from my 550 to the fj600 motor, pod filters, rejet it and have it professionally tuned and hoping for around 80hp when it's all said n done which is a 30ho gain over stock on my bike, then plan to regear it also. So I will need the complete motor, wiring harness which I will have to use to make a new bare minimum harnesses for it, and all the electronics from the fj600 as well. Also I'd like to use the front forks and wheel so I can use the dual front disc brake on my bike as well which will be a significant brake upgrade iver the stock single front disc brake that's on it now to compensate for the extra 30hp.

Currently the bine is torn down. Getting ready to have the tank, rear fender, and side covers painted which should be done in the next few weeks. So hoping to find an fj600 for parts asap.

Maybe next year id like to try to find a 652 big bore kit for the fj600 motor which I know is discontinued but I'm assuming sometim has to have one laying around. So hoping m to be able to find one by next winter so I can build the motor. Figured with the big bore kit, port n polished head, 3 angle valve job, custom exhaust, carbs jetted, pod filters, have the bike professionally tuned im hoping to be able to get 85/90 hp, if I can even find big bore kit but it's worth a try. If not I'll probably pull the motor, n go take it n have it bored n have the cans reground for higher lift n more duration, and just have the motor all built professionally. IMG_20181002_123556860.jpg IMG_20181002_123551002.jpg

Attached Files: