1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

81 xj550j maxim starting problems

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Kweb1889, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Hi guys I went to start my 550 and it just kept turning over even after button was let go of. I had to hurry up and unscrew the negative terminal to get it to stop the kill switch didmt stop anything. The cable and screw were extremely hot. I am not sure what to look for in figuring this out. HELP PLEASE.

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

could be the solinoid stuck closed it is just a relay some times the contacts weld together.
    or the starter button is sticking but the kill switch would have shut that down.

on an more obscure thought does the oil light come on when you turn on the key, before pressing starter button?

so undo the starter cable from the solinoid reconnect the battery and see if you have 12 volts at that nut. meter or test light will work . if you have 12 vots solinoid is stuck closed

3. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Thank you I will do what you suggested. I pulled the plugs and they are wet. What should I do if the engine got flooded with gasoline? In the moment of trying to get my bike to quit turning over i forgot to shut the choke off. Any help would be appreciated.

4. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Update my last post my petcock failed it just flows free no matter the setting plugs are soaked. What do i do? is the bike ruined?

5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

6. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Ok thank you I was worried it might be ruined. It seems that the needles and or seats failed because my oil is full of gasoline or at least wreaks of gasoline. I just changed the oil so I am going to drain the oil again. I removed the tank and will soon drain and lightly oil the inside to keep it from rusting as @k-moe suggested storing my tank that way since the bike isnt currently firing up. Do you know what oil I can use? Wd40? Also is their a way to flush out the case to get the gas out all the way? I do appreciate any advice.

7. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I use a little engine oil in the tank and swirl it around. You need to rebuild your carburettors info@XJ4 ever Chacal has the rebuild kits. Just drain the oil and gas for now. You cannot run it until you repair the petcock and carburettors anyway.

k-moe likes this.
  8. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Alright will do thank you.

9. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

When turning the crank by hand to clear the cylinders of gas I should go counterclockwise correct?

10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Correct, however the gas will leak past the rings in short time. That's how it got into the sump in the first place.
    As to the last bit of adivice: Fill the crankcase with oil, and put a tablespoon down each sparkplug hole. Gasoline very quiclkly washes off the oil film from the rings, cylinder liners, and other steel components. If it sits very long without that film rust will be formed quite quickly.

11. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Hello again I am looking if anyone knows where to get a starting circuit cut off relay or how to bypass it? I went through the manual and did the trouble shooting on the starting circuit and ignition circuit and I found that my starter solenoid was bad and my cut off relay was also bad and this is why my engine keeps cranking even with the kill switch off. Any help here would be appreciated. Could I snag the relay off my 82 xj650 maxim? If so I would have to get one for that too so I'm just lost at the moment. Thanks.

12. XJ550H

solinoid is the same

this link ids the relays
    The Ultimate Relay, Switch, Sensor, and Diodes Guide

if you are talking about the Starting/Ignition Cut-Off/Neutral Safety relay:

This Yamaha 12R-81950-01-00 RELAY ASSEMBLY (4H7-81950-01

550 and 650 are a cross fit

13. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Thank you I am talking about the starting circuit cut off switch. heres a pic from the manual you provided me, by the way thanks again for this manual pdf.

Attached Files:

14. XJ550H

yes it is the same as a xj650.
    if you go to www,partzilla.com and look up your bike , for the 550 you will have to use the 81 look up or the 81 seca look up .
    find the part in the schmatic of the assembly then click on part number it shows all the bikes that use that part. great tool for cross fitment

this is what you see when you click on part number
    https://www.partzilla.com/product/y...?ref=3244c1acaad6dffb94aace8b583cf85f350d4034

15. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Thank you so much I really appreciate it.

16. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Well ive made a lot of peogress on this bike i got the neutral light to stay on by cleaning the connection. I am having one funky issue, so my bike is missing the starter button so i wires in a button to jusmp the solenoid teminals ao i could check for spark and compression and everytime i turn it over one of the blinker lights comes on? Does anyone know why this happens and does anyone have the proper way to wire in an afyermarket start button?