1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

81 XJ650 - Will not change gears

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by C-AUS, Jun 13, 2018.

1. C-AUS

C-AUS New Member

Hi all,

I have the bike up on it's centre stand, and when I click through the gears, clutch in, it goes into first, up to second, and then most of the time it will not go any further. I am giving it a firm and confident push, but it just feels like mush, there is no actual gear change. This is backed up by when I work through the gears to first I only go down one full gear change, past neutral. Sometimes I can click through all the gears, but most of the time it refuses to work.

Thanks,
    Charles

2. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Welcome Charles
    Sound like the spring for the gear change wheel is broken inside. It’s a fairly simple fix. Remove shifter and the cover and it’s easy to see what is wrong. This little wheel holds the drum in each position and if the spring has broken it is very hard to shift.

Attached Files:

C-AUS and Franz like this.
  3. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Also be aware that because of the design of the transmission you need to be rotating the rear wheel in order to shift through the gears.

C-AUS and k-moe like this.
  4. kerriskandiesinc

kerriskandiesinc Active Member

Could also be the dreaded alternator drive chain rubber/metal guide blade......they DO break up, with heat and miles, bits can get into the selector forks/drum and 'seize' in in gear......happened to me, twice in the past usually well North of 100,000 miles, although age MUST be a concern too.....

C-AUS likes this.
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

^THIS^

Check the easy things first.

C-AUS and kerriskandiesinc like this.