1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 650 Maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Chitwood, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Junk as in a couple of the plates you can't see the lines in the linings anymore. I could completely disconnect the clutch cable and it still wouldn't engage. Yes I put new springs in it, clutch center dots were aligned and the cable was adjusted multiple times. New plates will be here today, plan to soak them over night and try again tomorrow night. It's supposed to be raining anyway so I'll have time to mess with it. I didn't find any burrs or notches on the basket where the friction plates sit or on the center where the steel plates contact so I'm not sure what caused it.

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

did you torquue the bolts to spec?

inspect the clutch basket and housing see if the fingers are smooth "gauling on the friction plate dogs will cause eratic clutch operation"
    clutch can hang up if they are not smooth

3. Chitwood

Yes all bolts torqued to spec. Inspection of clutch basket and center showed no knicks/burrs/galling or anything but I am definitely going to be looking much,much harder this time though I don't think I missed anything. Have new plates soaking in fresh oil already and will start the process all over again later this week. I am only able to ride it because some very nice people were kind enough to drive 125 miles to bring me my used plates which aren't totally shot but do seem to want to slip on a hard pull. First hard pull with first set of new plates had the Speedo buries in 3rd gear, at least I think. By the time I looked down and realized it was buried I had already backed off and upshifted hahaha. It felt like way more of a rocket ship with those plates than it does now with the old plates back in it even with the new springs still installed.

Jetfixer likes this.
  4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i'm sort of not the guy to ask about clutches
    [​IMG]
    but i know what NOT to do !

Chitwood and Jetfixer like this.
  5. Chitwood

Sometimes that's half the battle! Hopefully I don't great that much carnage before I get it figured out

6. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

What not to do: use grenade to disassemble the clutch.

Chitwood likes this.
  7. Chitwood

Well just finished up installing the second set of clutch plates. Everything looks in very good shape. Everything torqued to spec, free play adjusted to spec. Hopefully these last much longer than the last.

8. Chitwood

I haven't had much of a chance to ride the bike yet with the new clutch plates installed as mother nature seems to think we need an absurd amount of rain for some reason. Tomorrow should be the day. Plan to ride to work, making sure I'm extra nice to the clutch, then to Menards after work which will be a nice 20 min or so ride. On the way home from there we will see what's what hahaha

9. Chitwood

So the second replacement clutch plates seem to be working nicely. However, when I moved it out of the garage to ride to work i noticed a small drip of oil on the floor. A quick once over found this. Why the heck would this crack here and now? I was very careful putting it back on torqued all fasteners to spec. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

just like lug nuts, your supposed to put them all in till they touch then do half torque in a criss cross pattern then full torque in a criss cross pattern 0r the gasket was missing under that screw. maybe your torque wrench sucks or most likely, shit happens

11. Chitwood

Shit happens would just be my luck lately it seems. Hopefully I will find a replacement locally then make another gasket, lay it on its side again, and swap it over. Hopefully this will be the last time I have to remove the clutch cover for awhile... (famous last words)

12. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I'd just degrease the crack, drill both ends to keep it from spreading, and fill it with 2 part epoxy.

Jetfixer likes this.
  13. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

JB weld if you clean it really well let it set up 24 hrs or liquid steel. You can sand it down and should be good to go.

k-moe likes this.
  14. Chitwood

I guess I didn't give epoxy or jb weld a thought. I may have found another cover so I'm going to check that first, if that fails then I will likely do as suggested. Thanks guys!

15. Chitwood

Replacement cover was a bust as the engine the guy had was conveniently missing it, along with the rest of the entire clutch assembly. Not that I needed anything other than the cover anyway. Oh well. Calling for rain tomorrow so I may go ahead drill the ends of the crack and apply some sort of jb weld or epoxy to seal it up for now

16. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

drilling holes is good for vibration cracks but that's not what you have. that bolt broke it.
    i'd squirt some brake cleaner in the crack as it is now and try to force some of that gasket sealer you used in the crack, take the bolt out finish that part and put the bolt back in.
    the whole cover is sealed except that crack, if you take the cover off your inviting that murphy's law guy to the party

17. Chitwood

Very good point. I wasn't planning on using any sealer on the gasket when I first installed it except for a thin coat of high tack just to keep it stuck to the cover for install. Unfortunately since I had to remove it to replace the clutch plates a few more times the gasket started to leak. So when I put it on the last time I applied a very thin coat of the right stuff gasket maker by permatex which is what can be seen squishing out slightly. I will do just as you suggest as drilling into that cover gave me an uneasy feeling just thinking about it. Also it will be plenty easy to do that with what I have at home without having to get it into the shop at work. Thanks for the replies guys. First rate group here.

18. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

But would drilling holes prevent it from growing larger due to vibration?

19. Chitwood

I wouldn't think the clutch cover could vibrate necessarily but I am also curious about this. I had planned to clean it up good and apply some type of sealant to it last night but was unfortunately pulled away on more pressing issues

20. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

It would. And it doesn't matter how the crack was formed, the ends need to be terminated cleanly so the forces can move equally around the gap or the crack will eventually grow. Even when welding a crack back up it's good practice to drill the ends (though more to ensure good weld penetration, since the weld will 'erase" the crack).