1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 maxim chopped,lowered and much much more..

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by JapRatXJ, Aug 12, 2010.

1. JapRatXJ

JapRatXJ New Member

I fabricated the exhaust myself its pretty straight forward if you can get hold of a mig welder,grinder,and a sawsall. First i cut all the pipes about ten inches down from where they come out of the motor, i loosened all the studs and brought the right two pipes together and the left two pipes together like a Y shape. I then bought some mandrel bent tubing from summit racing 1 3/4 diameter they call it a j bend basically you can cut it up and use it for individual bends so i just kinda pieced it all together like a puzzle tack welded it up, made some brackets, took it off and welded it for good. Theres no baffles in it i cant work myself up to drilling or cutting the pipe now thats its finished lol but i did get the idea and i kinda started to make some, if you wanna hear it the last picture on the first page is actually a video click on it and itll bring you to my photobucket profile enjoy!!

2. 1904xj

1904xj Member

Your E-mail didn't work for me..
    I have the whole manual for you..

3. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Nice sounding bike. Love those pipes

MN

4. Mad_Bohemian

Mad_Bohemian Active Member

Jap, did you run into any interference issues with the center stand mount brackets with that exhaust? I had to eliminate them for my custom exhaust.
    [​IMG]

5. Lou627

Lou627 Member

Your Idle sounds like the beginning of a Metalica song

Nice Bike!

6. JapRatXJ

JapRatXJ New Member

So i got all my wiring situated!! my brother in law is pretty good with wiring he went at it with a "power probe" and figured out my tail light issue and why i kept blowing fuses, i also needed to order up a brake switch for the pedal apparently mine went bad. I appreciate the help though with trying to get me a wiring diagram i think at this point ill no longer be needing one. As far as the question about the exhaust i did end up cutting one of the brackets off, to be specific the one on the right side and the left one i used as a mounting point for the pipes. Btw bohemian your pipes are looking pretty badass man nice job i also see you modified your frame do you have a build page of your bike? if not keep us updated and thanks for the comments everyone on the bike hopefully itll be screamin down the road within the next couple weeks!!

7. Mad_Bohemian

Mad_Bohemian Active Member

Thanks JapRatXJ. The build thread ishere...

8. streetfighter89

streetfighter89 Member

Hey i was wondering if you could give me a little detialed explination of how you modded the frame in the rear to get it to sit like that i really like how it looks.

9. BAREfoot

BAREfoot Member

i really dig your pipes... do you have any more pics of how the headers connect to the rest of it... i wanna make some of my own.. i've only got 2 pipes on my 400 so a 2 into 1 and i picked up 2 harley pipes for 25 bucks..and they're a lot wider of a pipe..

10. JapRatXJ

JapRatXJ New Member

Hey barefoot sorry for the late response man havent been on the forum in awhile, i can get some pictures for you of my exhaust soon. Basically though to make 2 into one i slit a 1 3/4 pipe down the middle and heated it up enough to the point where i could bend the two halfs out like a y shape. I welded that up to the pipes coming out of the motor which i also angled towards each other like a y, once you get it welded up your gonna have a triangle shaped gap from where you split the pipe apart your gonna have to make peice of metal to go there. Hope this helps a little bit let me know how you make out.

11. JapRatXJ

JapRatXJ New Member

Made this real quick to give you an idea, i couldnt find any pics of mine other than what i already have posted its a simple concept hope this helps! good luck

[​IMG]

12. aharon

aharon Member

Re: 82 maxim with backbone

Hi JapRat, your bike mod is radical, congrats!
    I read you modified it to have a single backbone. I never saw a "naked" Maxim 82, so do you mean it previously had two curved pipes running around the gas tank seams? I ask because my xj400 (93) is like I just described, too "modern" for my old-school taste.
    Can you write a little about it? I mean, which pipe you used, which steel, diameter. I am considering making the same mod on my bike after I finishi "ressurrecting" the engine!
    Aharon

13. JapRatXJ

JapRatXJ New Member

Hey aharon whats up man thanks for looking!, basically on the maxims theres three pipes the main center one which only goes down to about where the carbs are, then theres two that follow that main one parallel which dont allow you many options for a gas tank unless you want it sticking up like level with the handlebars haha. I chopped the two side pipes off and used one single bar going from the headseat to the seatpan, honestly i looked everywhere for a pipe and its a very odd size i had no luck with any local metal supply. My dad actually came across a pipe in my basement just laying around it slipped over my frame it fit alright slightly larger but i welded it up and dropped the tank on. Make sure when you chop the center pipe out you brace the frame so it doesnt tweak or twist.

14. JapRatXJ

JapRatXJ New Member

Everything with a red line i removed, the black line on the backbone is where i cut it

[​IMG]

Excuse my "paint" skills im trying to use it like adobe photoshop but this is what the frame should look like after, just a single pipe (or one slid over the other) welded down next to where the front of the seat is

[​IMG]

15. thecamelman79

thecamelman79 Member

nice blast job man

16. aharon

aharon Member

You did it real nice, congrats. My frame is much too "modern" though. I will post a picture just to illustrate my point.
    Really good job!

17. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Japratxj, you might want to add a single pipe under the backbone from the down tube (where the 2 existing rails were attached) to the center support rails attach to the backbone. The 2 rails you removed offered a lot of frame strength. :wink:

18. JapRatXJ

JapRatXJ New Member

Thanks for the comments guys but this isnt my frame its just a random pic i found on google the best picture i could find of a bare frame. Orange and black... i hear where your coming from on supporting the center bar more i just couldnt really find a way to do that with the sportster tank. It seems to be holding up well ive been welding for 4/5 years now i layed some good beads on there i dont think ill have an issue, i have been called crazy for riding this bike with no fenders,signals,front brake (the first week of riding it),straight pipes lol

19. aharon

aharon Member

japratxj, I really appreciated your effort to illustrate how you did the backbone, thank you for being such a cool friend.
    Orange-n-black's comment certainly comes out of concern for your safety - and that's what friends are for ; good to know though that you have experience and ran the beads as they are supposed to be - not like "duck droppings", as the pros say back in brazil :lol: .

20. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

I was thinking about the frame tweaking due to stress. Thought that a single pipe under the other and down a bit wouldn't interfere with the tank, have thought about doing this mod myself. If that won't work maybe a couple of triangular gussets at each end of the backbone would work. Was just offering an idea, like your build and update with pics, we like pics around here. :lol: