1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 Maxim XJ1100 Dark Knight Build

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by David Cormier, Aug 23, 2016.

1. desmotom

desmotom Active Member

looking good!

David Cormier likes this.
  2. David Cormier

David Cormier Active Member

Yeah I've been checking every bike I see on the road here and there are tons with side plates. Not saying its right or legal however I am going to run with it until I'm told not to by the man haha

3. David Cormier

So I finally got my fenders back and mounted the tank to see the look and I love it. IMG_9013.JPG I just went to a friends this morning and got my exhaust all welded up and I should have it mounted with new gaskets tmrw. I am also wrapping from the headers to the end pipe for heat and look.
    IMG_9015.JPG IMG_9014.JPG

chacal likes this.
  4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I hope that the pipes are stainless, or you'll have heat, looks, and rust.

5. David Cormier

Pipes are all stainless ;)

k-moe likes this.
  6. David Cormier

Today I started wrapping the exhaust. What a royal pain in the a$$. However I love colour and it looks great. I only got one roll to see if I would love the look, and I do. I've got the rest in order. A couple notes: gloves are a must, wetting the wrap makes it so much nicer to work with. IMG_3803.JPG IMG_3806.JPG IMG_3805.JPG

The wife's flies out this week so I'm hoping to get a bunch more hours in the garage and keep going !

Next I'm going to work on the wiring for the new gage and mount.

newfrank likes this.
  7. Wintersdark

Wintersdark Well-Known Member

Just noticed your local; hope to see this bike out on the road!

As to side plates, I've run them myself, and I've never heard of anyone getting grief for them. Alberta in particular is really lax on that stuff.

Where did you get the wrap? I've been considering ordering some and doing that - my pipes are, well, 35 years old and have eaten a lot of road grit. Looks really great!

8. Wintersdark

Woah, wait, Minit Muffler will make you custom pipes? I had no idea. I mean, it seems pretty obvious, but... And just $38 for the two?

Well. Now I'm chock full of ideas. What mufflers are those?

9. David Cormier

What are you riding ? I live way in the South in Auburn Bay if you want to come check out my build! I'd love to see someone else's bike runnig
    The wrap I researched online and eventually managed to get it off Amazon, this stuff apparently will not fade like the super cheap stuff. upload_2017-5-29_14-36-0.png

As for the the exhaust I know mine is outlandish but I built this thing to my own taste as I will be keeping it as my toy. I scored the mufflers on Kijiji from a guy for $300 for both. I think page 2 of this build I put them up. I can get you a model number if you want, they are Yoshimura exhaust for an R1. I knew I would nee custom bent mid pipes and I thought why not call a muffler shop and they said absolutely ! 30 minutes of their time and my drawing to go by and they made them up.
    It got even sweeter when I removed the factory cones and the seals that join them my newly bent pipes fit into the factory headers and my buddy welded them in solid. I will post some more pics of the exhaust here soon.

10. Wintersdark

I'm in Mackenzie Lake, just around the corner so to speak.

That's the same stuff I was eyeballing myself, I'd heard the titanium wrap doesn't fade and look terrible after a bit of weather - I put the cheap black stuff on my old kawi, and ripped it back off after a month.

11. David Cormier

So I finally managed to find time to finish the exhaust wrap as the rolls I needed arrived today. Somehow QC in the plant must be off as there were spots where it was a little narrow. Also I ordered th 50' roll and I had an inch left so it definitely was not 50 feet. But I made it to the end.

I realized after my first attempt the only way to wrap around where the 2 go to 1 easily is from back to front the way it slants. So start from the back !!
    IMG_9080.JPG IMG_9078.JPG
    I also received my black SS brake lines. However I am waiting on my rebuild kits for all calipers and masters so I cannot mount them yet.

Tomorrow I hope to tackle figuring out some wiring. I'm in heavy debate of keeping the factory "computer" LCD and mounting it under my gage.

Attached Files:

12. Wintersdark

As to the LCD, depends a lot on what you're doing for lighting... The head and tail indicators require a certain load to work, and thus will always show a fault if you run LED's unless you add load resistors. Then there's that silly BATT indicator too =/

I find the whole thing frustrating and annoying personally, so once I can get another gauge set I'm just going to add LED indicators for oil/turn/neutral and dump the rest of it. That's just me, though.

The wrap looks great!

David Cormier likes this.
  13. David Cormier

Thanks !
    I read about leds throwing it out of whack. I also don't want to do a lot of electrical now if I can avoid it.
    This I reused the factory front signals and found nonled rear indicators I like.
    The headlight could be an issue but for now I just want it running so I can ride. There's always next winter to fix the final little bits.

Wintersdark likes this.
  14. David Cormier

Today I finally got the rear fender fabbed up and should have the front done tomorrow.
    IMG_9095.JPG

15. David Cormier

Out of curiosity do you know what kind of load/ resistor for load I would need to not throw the warnings ?

16. Wintersdark

Well, it would depend on what you're running, but you'd need to draw the same amount of power.... you'd just be burning that power off as heat instead of light.

I'm sure someone's done the calculations here already; it's not complicated at all. Ohm's law and whatnot. But I'd need to look up the draw of the stock bulbs. I'd be shocked if it wasn't already done here though.

17. dirtmax

dirtmax Member

I really like this thread. Good to see some fabrication skills. I was thinking about to fab rear fender on my swing arm, too. But I kinda went "the lazy way" on it. Glad to see someone doing it. I know it's gonna look awesome.
    First time I was wrapping headers I used 1" wide wrap too. Never again! PITA. Second time I wrapped it with 2" - 50'. Still kinda pita, but way easier, faster. Used a spray bottle to wet it out. I think I sprayed it with VHT clear coat on the end. make everything stuck there.
    I would really like to hear it when it's done. :)

David Cormier and Wintersdark like this.
  18. David Cormier

I had to escape to the garage to fit the front fender and I am loving the way everything I imagined is finally coming together.

Just waiting now on my brake rebuild kit and then I'll be off to the races.
    IMG_9103.JPG IMG_9105.JPG IMG_9106.JPG IMG_9107.JPG IMG_9108.JPG

19. Wintersdark

Where's the rear fender from? Damn, that looks amazing. So nice.

20. David Cormier

Thanks man ! this bike has a little bit of all my previous bikes melted into it.

The rear fender was actually the best deal I could find that I liked for my build. I started with a front Harley fairing I got from my local shop which had full side coverage so the it covered most of the tire. Sadly once I got fitting it it was just to narrow and I did not want to be beating a fender to fit. So I turned to online as everything local was expensive and even with shipping and duties this fender was around $110 CAD to my door. I had a friend help me with the and shaping of it. After measuring what was required the 6" fender was perfect. I read through a lot of people using trailer fenders but I never really ventured into that realm.

upload_2017-6-5_11-22-52.png

Wintersdark likes this.