1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 secs 750 ignition switch HELP

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Wgoodwin, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Wgoodwin

Wgoodwin Member

So my 82 seca that I'm working on has an ignition currently that has been rigged to start with a screwdriver, obviously that wont work so I ordered an EMGO 40-71340 ignition switch...it fits perfectly but it only has on three prong plug on it and my seca has a 3 prong plug like the replacement one but also has a second 2 prong (I believe) plug, can I just leave the second plug undone? I havent hooked it up yet to test it as I've been battling the flu but I wanted to ask, what do i need to do here?

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

You'll need to swap out baseplates between that switch and your original switch, as that switch doesn't have the "extended base" used on XJ750 Seca models..................the 2nd little harness is for the battery fluid level sensor, you can do without it BUT you're dash will constantly flash to remind you that your battery fluid level is low.

3. Wgoodwin

Wgoodwin Member

How do you swap out the base plate?

4. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Jumper 12V to it from the switch side?

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Wgoodwin likes this.
  6. chacal

Well, it doesn't work like that..........the battery sensor (if you still have it) is always passing a voltage (about 2VDC) along the white/red wire going to the switch, and when the key switch is in the ON position, this voltage is then passed thru the switch (internally) to the dash computer, which reads the voltage and then determines whether to light the warning light. Since you'll need to take apart the switches to swap baseplates, you should also swap the wire pigtail from your original switch (clean up the contacts on the terminal plate while you've got it out) and install the original harness into the new switch assembly before putting the original baseplate onto the new switch assembly.........

The pdf. that we wrote (the one the k-moe referenced above) basically shows you how to accomplish all of the above.

Ryengoth likes this.
  7. Wgoodwin

Wgoodwin Member

I havent even looked at these things yet as I've been sick, so forgive me for asking but does that involve any soldering? Or is it all plug and play to swap them? I definitely want to run the original wiring if possible but soldering and I dont get along well lol

8. chacal

No.

Yes!

Wgoodwin likes this.
  9. Wgoodwin

Wgoodwin Member

Perfect, now to get over this damn flu so I can get back to work on it!