1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 XJ650 MAXIM efi project

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by charles Byrd, Oct 1, 2017.

1. charles Byrd

charles Byrd New Member

Hello . I recently decided to pull my dads xj650 out and convert to efi cafe style. I will be posting pictures as i get them . I have a couple of questions about rim swapping. I noticed some cafe builds with both tires being a 16 inch. How is having a 16 inch on front achieved? Is it a rear rim converted or off another bike. Thanks

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

There are posts on here about trying to put EFI on . This is real undertaking just wanted to caution you , swapping in is not an easy thing . Lots of of electronics involved good luck .

3. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Best way to convert to 16" front wheel is to buy an entire front end from a YX600 Radian or 86-88 FZ600. Get the fender, brakes, everything. The fork tubes will slide right into the 650 Seca's triple trees. You didn't say if you had a Maxim or Seca, I've not done this with a Maxim but have done it on my Seca. The Maxim has a leading axle configuration and I'm not sure if the geometry of the triple trees is different to the Seca. You will need custom length brake lines but a performance type bike shop can make these up for you. EFI? Big undertaking!

4. charles Byrd

charles Byrd New Member

Ive done multiple efi conversions on DATSUNs oldskool cars aswell as newer vehicles. I have yet to attempt on a bike though. I have a maxim states this in the title . I have also heard a guy use to sell a conversion kit to convert the rear rim on a maxim to front. Does anyone have a picture they can share of what the kit consist of or better yet diminesions of adapters.

5. charles Byrd

charles Byrd New Member

Also on the efi note im thinking of producing possibly a kit to convert to efi ... new flanges to accommodate cbr1000 itbs and even a harness possbly for the speeduino ecu .