1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

'82 XJ650RJ SECA in Atlanta

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by kboehringer, Dec 29, 2019.

1. kboehringer

kboehringer Active Member

XJ Friends,
    A year or so back, I restored a 650 SECA and very much enjoyed the work. The bike won best in show at the Vintage Yamaha Rally '18. I found another SECA 650 that was reasonably priced which appeared to need only a few pieces. I also found a "Parts Donor" bike for a very reasonable price that appeared to have everything I would need for the better restoration candidate. Unfortunately, the purchase of the better machine fell through but I had promised the owner of the donor bike I would purchase it.

Yesterday, I brought it home. It's my intention to strip the parts off that have SOME real value and toss the bones to the curb. Although the bike was apparently stored indoors for much of it's life, it was left outside without a #4 spark plug for some period of time. I'm certain that the motor is therefore junk as the pitting and damage to #4 would probably be significant. The plastics are all in good shape without any missing or broken tabs (although the paint is complete crap), the exhaust looks like it will clean-up nicely, and although the tank has a couple scratches, mild dings, and spray can paint, it may be decent as I see no evidence of rust through. The whole bike has had the typical "Rattle-Can Spray Bomb" black that seems so common..

I'm going to grab the ECM and that's about it. I don't have a title but if the frame looks good after I disassemble it, the PO promised he will go through the process and obtain a replacement title from South Carolina if I pay him another $100. So there could be a good frame available.....

I'd like to recoup the relatively small amount of $ I have in this thing.... if possible. I don't really like shipping stuff but if that's the only way I can recoup a couple bucks, I'll do it.

Please let me know if there is something you need.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sincerely,
    Kurt

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

your inbox is full so no one can send you a message.

I would like the horn mounting bracket and if the horns work the horns too also would like the right side cover if your going to sell it

3. kboehringer

Mailbox now empty. PM Sent.

4. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

Message sent

5. kboehringer

Update on this SECA....
    Basically, this machine was not in very good condition so there isn't too much of significant value, especially for those doing an A1 restoration. However, I'm hopeful there may still be a tid-bit or two someone may need.
    Here's a basic overview:
    • Right Side Cover - SOLD - First thing to go.
    • Horns/Brackets - SOLD -
    • Tank - SOLD - Will be headed north quickly.....
    • ECM - Backup for my SECA - Not for sale.
    Items that are already in the trash can or headed that direction:
    • Exhaust - Worthless gone to trash
    • Fenders - Worthless gone to trash
    • Headlamp - Worthless gone to trash
    • Seat - Worthless gone to trash
    • Handlebars - Bent, will go to trash
    • Controls - poor condition, will go to trash.
    There isn't much else on the machine that looks really good or ready for immediate service. The forks are straight and don't have any rust or pitting in the travel areas, kinda surprised no one asked about these. There may be some bits and pieces folks need so please ask as I'm starting to look for the next items to place in the trash can for this week's pick-up.

Carbs:
    The carbs are certainly rebuildable but will need new jets (PO damaged) and of course needles and seats as a minimum.
    I did a ROUGH cleaning on them just to "See what I had", they will need a proper and thorough cleaning.
    • No Broken posts.
    • All diaphragms are good.
    • All brackets present.
    • Several of the screws have damaged heads from PO not using a JIS screwdriver.
    • Floats moving but sticky and will need a good soaking to get them out....
    • Caps are rusty as usual but LEN has new chrome replacements in-stock.
    • Asking $100. +ship which seems like a deal considering what I'm seeing on Evil-Bay.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Iron Stranger

Iron Stranger New Member

Hello - I am looking for the full headlight assembly incl. brackets, wiring, etc. Basically I have a bunch of wires hanging off my bike and I will take whatever you have that works. Based on your comment it sounds like the headlight itself was junk?

7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

headlamp may be the sealed beam or bulb housing

your seca has an 8 inch headlight setup the rest of them have 7 inch with some bikes having rectangle assemblies.

8. kboehringer

Iron Stranger,
    I'm very sorry but I tossed the ENTIRE assembly in the trash last week.... It's a shame, although beat-up bit it would have been a lot better than nothing. I MAY HAVE a round lamp assembly from an XS1100 or an XJ Maxim you could ADAPT to the bike. You could have that for the cost of postage. If you're creative, you can make something else work. Those 8" SECA lamp assemblies are a "BUGGER" to find. I've been looking for a better lamp for more than two years! I just can't bring myself to pay $200+++ (for the reflector assy. alone). I'll have a look for the other style lamp if you want me to check.... I am certain I have an XS11 RECTANGULAR from a Standard with the ears.... THOUGHTS?

9. Iron Stranger

Iron Stranger New Member

Hello. Thanks for your offer but I will keep looking for a while. Hopefully I can stumble upon a round original headlight somewhere. I appreciate your help.

10. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

I sent you a message

11. joejr2

joejr2 Active Member Premium Member

Did the parts bike ( 650seca non turbo ) have a title ? I need a titled frame for one. if it is titled I'll
    send an offer via pm

12. kboehringer

Joe, Unfortunately, I didn't have the room to keep the machine (frame) on-site so it has been disposed of and the associated title was trashed.