1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

83 xj550 Maxim seat mod help

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Alli, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Alli

Alli New Member

Hi all! I'm new to this forum and motorcycles in general. I just bought an 83 xj550 Maxim as my first bike.

Currently, I'm on the balls of my feet when sitting on the bike, so I'd like to look into a more streamlined seat to hopefully get my feet a little flatter to the ground.

Has anyone had luck at least swapping a seca seat on a maxim with little body work? I'd love to go even more compact but I know that will start requiring a fair amount of mods to the fender and such.

Looking for easiest and least invasive mod options to hopefully get me a little more flat-footed! Thanks in advance!

2. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

There is a guy here who has been using his collection of xjs and parts horde to do a series of threads on what will swap with what. Not sure if he's turned his focus to seats yet, but @hogfiddles would be the one I'd ask...

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The 550 Maxim frame is quite a bit different from the 550 Seca frame. The two seats will not swap.

Being on the balls of your feet is not a bad thing, but does take a bit of practice to get used to.
    If you have not already found out, when stopping on a hill (or even just a bit of an incline) you will need to hold the rear brake in order to start off without rolling backwards. When your right foot is on the brake, you can lean the bike a bit to the left so that your left foot can sit flat on the ground. That is a technique that will allow you to ride a motorcycle that has a seat height well in excess of your inseam. Practice it, and use it all the time. You want the seat to be wide for comfort. Narrow seats are only good for about 30 minutes of riding.

Find an MSF course and sign up. Mention the issue to your instructor during a break, and he or she will likely help you master the technique in short order.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    MattiThundrrr likes this.
  4. k-moe

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you can put maxim seca 001 (2).jpg a seca seat on a maxim just need to be creative in mounting the seat or weld somemounts to mate hinges.Maxim with seca tank and seat

6. k-moe

Mounting, and fitting are not the same thing though. I don't think that will address his needs either. The Seca seat is taller, but not much narrower.

7. Alli

Alli New Member

Thanks, I will look through his stuff!

8. Alli

Alli New Member

I have actually taken the MSF course already but it was before I bought the bike, so I was testing on lighter 250s and didn't know I would end up with a bit heavier and taller bike. But thank you for the tips, I will definitely start practicing that.

k-moe likes this.