1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

85 700N

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by Jonathan Brightwell, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Jonathan Brightwell

Jonathan Brightwell New Member

Im going to sell my 85 700N. This bike starts and runs and drives and shifts and stops. All lights work except Hi Beam indicator light and Oil light. 29000 miles with clear title in my name. Tires have good tread but unsure of age. Fenders, side covers and tank have been painted by body shop in a dark gray metallic. It looks green in pictures but its like Chevy Silverado Dark Gray. Selling to start other projects. I need help in determining a price. I would like to know what YOU would ask for this bike if it were yours. Im in Iowa and based on what you can buy around here for $1000, Im thinking $1300 but please give me your opinions. I hope the pictures upload, if not I"ll try again! 20210628_115558.jpg 20210628_115558.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Jonathan Brightwell

And yes it has pods, Im not a fan but I got it that way. The only thing I notice is it doesnt like to be bogged down.

3. Jonathan Brightwell

Not one reply? Please help me out here - I dont want to show up on "Craigslist Optomists"! Should I post this elsewhere??

4. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Just so that you don't think the world is ignoring you. Nice looking bike and, in my opinion, the price is fair. I am not in the market though, my herd is full. Good luck with your sale, this time of year I think folks are busy working on and riding more than looking to buy.

5. Mechanic1978

Mechanic1978 Active Member

Ditto to what @Fuller56 has said...

And anything is only worth what someone else is willing to pay. I believe its a little high, but that's me!

6. Jonathan Brightwell

Thanks guys! You are spot on. There are a lot of $800 - $1000 bikes in my area that are missing parts, non runners, no title, needs TLC and you know the drill. I will post it on Craigslist and see what comes of it if you folks promise you wont call me an "Optomist" HAHA!

7. Andrew Nichols

Andrew Nichols Active Member

Try posting it on Facebook Marketplace. You can always list it slightly higher and bargain down...

Mechanic1978 likes this.
  8. Mechanic1978

@Jonathan Brightwell, you know anyone will try to jew you down on price, that just inevitable.
    But the older bike are only liked by a specific crown, and even then you need someione in that crowd to be in the market to want to hit you up.

My 2Cents
    Not sure what you have invested in it, but if you want a quick sell id say between 5 to $800. if you can hold on to it and want premium dollar, I see it maybe to a collector that knows them bikes, up to $1200. the mileage is the killer, it will need some pricey maintnance. valves adjusted, clutches, brake pads/shoes.. etc.

9. Jonathan Brightwell

Thank you Mechanic1978. Once again though, the bikes in my area that sell for $800 are either non runners, barely runners, no title, missing stuff etc. I had the same thought by just holding on to it for a while. I have it advertised locally and have had a few inquiries. I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks again!

Mechanic1978 likes this.
  10. Mechanic1978

I will admit tho, it is a clean looking bike. Im just personally not a fan of the 700N.
    but yes, good luck to you!!

11. Jonathan Brightwell

SOLD! SOLD! SOLD! I sold my 700N for $1250.00. It was on Facebook Marketplace and the guy that bought it came and closed the deal within about 24 hours of posting. I think I counted 17 inquires with questions and such. Mechanic78 I sure appreciate your input on this. I would like to thank EVERYONE that has posted on the Forum in the last 9 months, Ive read every post, looked at every link, even the ones that didnt pertain to my model. I did the same when I worked on a BMW r65, a Harley Sprint, Kawasaki Big Horn, and many Hondas. Even a Suzuki FA50 moped. For now I am motorcycle-less so I will be signing off but you never know, another XJ might be in my future.

12. Andrew Nichols

Andrew Nichols Active Member

You're welcome. Happy trails.

Mechanic1978 likes this.
  13. Mechanic1978

Nice!! I was 50 bucks off... congrats man, glad you got it sold.

14. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

That’s a good sale, and decent price.... around my area it would have sold a good bit higher, but that’s how things are