1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Aftermarket side panels?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by PlzHelp, Mar 1, 2019.

1. PlzHelp

PlzHelp Member

As is the case with a lot of people, I am missing the right side panel on my 1982 Xj650 Maxim.

As I have been looking at other people's builds, I noticed quite a few have what looks like a piece of smokey colored plexiglass that fills the entire triangle slot in the frame on either side of where the airbox is.

I replaced my airbox with pods, so now there is just a big gap on my right side where there is no cover. I really like the look of these side panels, but I can't seem to find the name of them anywhere. They look professionally produced, and some even have a logo on them that I can't quite make out.

Does anyone know what these are called or where I could find them?

2. 50gary

50gary Active Member

What's up with the Maxim right side cover??!? Are they prone to falling off or what? I happen to like them as they clearly identify the 750 Maxim. 45 C.I.D. 3/4L
    They are also well made, not just plastic.
    Cheers, 50gary

3. PlzHelp

PlzHelp Member

I don't know whether it is due to the right side being the battery cover, which makes it the side that you manipulate the most, or whether that is just how they are built, but the right side panel is definitely prone to falling off. As such, they are scarce to find and in high demand. If you do find one, they are going to be very expensive.

I can't even find any right side covers for the 650 Maxim, so whether I like them or not is a moot point. If I could get my hands on one for cheap enough, I would obviously prefer OEM, but I'll take what I can get at this point to make sure my battery isn't just hanging out.

Here is a pic of the type of side panel I am looking for. I believe this one is black metal, which I would be totally cool with as well. So long as it covers that side we're golden. I just want to know where to find these.

upload_2019-3-1_18-23-45.png

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

side panels are made by the person who customized the bike. there is no aftermarket manufacture of sidepanels .

why are right side covers missing?
    it is the panel removed the most because it covers the battery.
    the more it is removed the higher the chances of breaking the mounting tabs

people remove them to service the battery place them on the ground and step on them.
    or drive away leaving them on the side of the road.

a little gremlin on the side of the road reaches out and grabs it as you go buy unless you have a bell on your bike

5. PlzHelp

PlzHelp Member

Odd. I see a lot of identical side panels among rebuilds of XJ650s. Can every single one be custom?

6. XJ550H

the space on the bike is the same on all xj650 maxims. tape a piece of card board in the space and trace along the frame tubing and you get that shape.

go to tcbros.com they make all kinds of parts for custom builds no side panels for the xj bikes not that much of a market share out there.

if you ask them they might make some for you

7. XJ550H

the photo you posted looks like a 750 seca to me

8. PlzHelp

PlzHelp Member

It is, but since I was looking for the side panel it didn't really matter. Slot is the same size and shape on both bikes.

9. XJ550H

they are even bolted in place and quite nice with the metal frame

10. PlzHelp

PlzHelp Member

The panels on my XJ650 Maxim do not bolt in place. They just have plastic pegs that fit through grommets.

11. XJ550H

so how much do you think an aftermarket set of side covers is worth or would sell for?

12. XJ550H

yup but the 750 maxim has 1 bolt to hold it in place 50gary kinda jacked your thread with a comment about the 750 maxim sidecovers. very nice construction

13. PlzHelp

PlzHelp Member

I don't know how much an aftermarket cover would cost. I assumed what everyone was using for the builds I saw with that panel wasn't a part that was made specifically for the bike, but rather a piece or part from something else that was merely lashed or otherwise attached to the frame, like a side panel from an unrelated bike that somebody figured out just happened to fit in that slot. I didn't think that each of them could be custom made, because quite a few are nearly identical, with the difference usually being some paint theirs.

14. XJ550H

so if some right sidecover hoarder happened to have a right sidecover for a 650 maxim in need of paint ,what would you offer me I mean him for it?

15. XJ550H

if after market side covers were out there I guaranty someone here would know where to get them and would also be available from our supporting vendor

have you asked chacal if he has the stock side cover you are looking for?

16. PlzHelp

PlzHelp Member

Idk man. I don't have much in the way of money right now, and I need to replace my tank anyway because when I got the bike the tank had rust holes in it that a new liner failed to seal, and JB Weld isn't cutting it anymore, so I have to prioritize that. I just wanted to see if anyone was aware of panels like that out there so I could price them out and pick up one after I find a replacement tank.

17. PlzHelp

PlzHelp Member

I'd love to find a 3D models of the OEM side panels, as I have a 3D Printer and being able to fabricate a new one whenever needed would be a godsend

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  18. XJ550H

I check ebay for right side covers every couple of days. persistence pays off.
    the secret is buy them when you see them.

you could make the panels it is not that hard sheet aluminium, plexi glass or diamond steel would work well . start with a card board templet make a cardboard model then find the material you like/want to use.

19. XJ550H

what is a 3D model would that be a sidecover that someone has scanned to produce a digital copy of a side cover?
    or can a 3D printer do a scan then reproduce the cover?

20. XJ550H

a 750 maxim tank is a direct bolt on replacement for a 650 Maxim tank and it holds more fuel.