1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Another xj550 seca cafe racer (project)

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Josiah Hein, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Josiah Hein

Josiah Hein New Member

Played with the battery box tonight and wiring. Thinking I might build or find a box to cover the wiring harness till I have time to build another, simpler harness. I'm open to thoughts or suggestions on this. Also I took the carbs off and the butterfly valve on carb 4 was open resting, also came across a bad vac leak on carb number 2. Getting new jets hopefully tomorrow for the pods/exhaust then will throw it back together and see how she runs!

Attached Files:

2. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

If you have the carbs off the bike and your not going to take them to church, you're wasting time even putting jets in. You already have them out, tear them down and do them right. You will thank yourself later. Unless I seriously missed something previously in this thread, which is entirely possible.

3. Josiah Hein

Josiah Hein New Member

No. You didn't miss anything. Also I am completely familiar with the whole take them to church post. I've read through it once already. But it only takes me a few minutes to get the carbs on and off the bike and if I can put them on and get it tuned decently then that's a chance I'm willing to take to ride it for the next week or two while I still habe decent weather. Winter will be here in no time and at this point I don't have time to "take them to church" as I only have enough time to work on the bike 10 to 30 minutes at a time maybe twice per week.

I will do that in a few weeks though. But for now it's at least worth a shot to slap them back on and see what happens. If it is nothing good then it will just have to wait a few more weeks.

4. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I can understand your situation. Been there enough. I'm still hoping to get a few more riding days before the weather prompts them to put down some of the dreaded salt which will hault my riding til spring time. Not sure my wallet is ready for the winter bike fixing season though haha

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

eQNlgxq.jpg m1csRY7.jpg
    minimal wiring

6. Josiah Hein

Josiah Hein New Member

Awesome, thanks Xj550h!

7. Josiah Hein

Josiah Hein New Member

On a side note, my mufflers came in today! Can't wait to mount them!!!

Attached Files:

8. Josiah Hein

Josiah Hein New Member

Other side

Attached Files:

9. Josiah Hein

Josiah Hein New Member

Here's a fun thought. Make it so the rear tail section disconnects quickly and a different tail light mounts right up under the seat, so I can run it like this too...

Attached Files:

10. OleDirtyDoc

OleDirtyDoc New Member

looks sweet

Josiah Hein likes this.
  11. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Same old story------ever notice they all " ran great a few years ago"?

Heck, they all ran great at one time. Even a Yugo ran great at one time. Maybe ONLY ONE tine.........

I STILL haven't found anyone that says ' it ran crappy and that's why I parked it a few years ago", or "it stopped great a few years ago"

12. Josiah Hein

Josiah Hein New Member

^^^ You're just a big ol ball of rainbows and sunshine, aren't you???lol.

Anyway I was having some wiring issues after moving my battery so I started doing the simplified harness yesterday. Going well so far!

It's been almost a month now since I last worked on the 550 Seca, due to going out of town on my honeymoon, then having to get caught back up with work after returning.

Hoping to get the harness done next weekend and get the seat, rear tail piece, tank mounts and exhaust mounted shortly after.

A friend of mine who owns an auto body shop offered to do the prep on the tank and tail, before I wrap it, so I will take him up on that. Might just have him go ahead and paint them a color I like instead of doing a wrap.

Also I haven't had a chance to fire it up again since replacing the intake boots and fixing a MAJOR vacuum leak so hoping to get to that point again after the wiring is done.

Cheers! 20171127_080946.jpg

13. Josiah Hein

Josiah Hein New Member

It has been a while since I've updated on here. There has been some changes with my build. For instance I now have a motogadget m-unit with the Bluetooth that I am installing. I'm about 90% done installing that so far. Also I got new bars, levers, controls and a new headlight for Christmas, then recently found a deal on sportster rear suspension. Got everything on except the headlight. I need to figure out what gauge I want to run and I think I'm going to get the M-buttons soon as well, to finish out the upgrades and wiring. Then I hope to get it fired up and work out the tuning. Hoping it is done within the next month, as riding season is already upon us... Anyway, here is a photo of how it sits right now...

Attached Files:

14. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

It's coming together nicely - keep the pics coming. :D

15. Josiah Hein

Josiah Hein New Member

Thanks! Will do. I hope to get the m button ordered this week.

16. Josiah Hein

Josiah Hein New Member

Got the bike all wired up with motogadget M-unit blue and M switches! Mounted the tank and seat permanently today. Now I just got to Mount the rear fairing, tail light and exhaust and I should be about ready to try and fire her up! 20180720_184257.jpg 20180719_163658.jpg