1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Another xj750 seca brake bleed

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by mcdermap, Sep 26, 2016.

1. mcdermap

mcdermap Member

Okay XJ wizards! Got my front wheel mounted properly, got the MC functioning, new stainless lines, and calipers rebuilt. Working on bleeding now- doing it with anti-dives bypassed (housing broke on left side.)

I've borrowed a vacuum bleeder (hand pump with bottle in-line.) Spent about an hour today pumping away with occasional/frequent MC refills. Then I added teflon tape to my bleeder screws and pumped for anot her two hours with slightly better results. I'm still getting a lot of air (as in air with fluid, rather than fluid with bubbles.) My banjo bolts are all torqued to 15ft/lb.

In short- do I just keep pumping, or should I pull the lines again and teflon-tape the banjo bolts and hard line bolts?

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Following a conventional (not vacuum) bleeding process:

Vibratory sander. Tie the brake lever to the grip. Run the sander slowly from bottom to top, both sides.

XJ550H likes this.
  3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

it is hard to do because the calipers go to a common point
    prefill calipers remove hose fill and vac a little out of bleader replace hoses
    try putting a tube on one bleeder with hose in bottle of brake fluid then vac pump the other caliper this will draw fluid into both feed lines from caliper to caliper via the common union.
    then try regular bleeding with brake lever squeezed and taped in place

Kmoes method is a tried and true method

4. mcdermap

mcdermap Member

If I could, I would buy you both beers, 550H and K-moe.

Thanks! Back to ze garage.

5. mc1oo1

mc1oo1 Member

Plumbers tape on bleeders and make sure the proper use of crush washers on lines. I spent about 2 hours doing it to mine after after a while the issue was solved and the brakes now work like butter.

6. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

think like a bubble, your only reason for being is to go up. when you draw the fluid down the hose, if the bubble doesn't come out, it starts going back up. so pump like mad.
    or
    get a BIG syringe and push fluid up from the wheel, help the bubbles along.
    the hole for the fluid in the wheel cylinder is on top but only if the wheel is straight, turn the wheel and a bubble can get trapped in there

7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

I read where one poster held his calipers above the bike and bled them that way forcing the air up

8. Big swede

Big swede Active Member

There is one more way doing it, you can use a large syringe and bleed backwards trough the bleeders and up to mc, don't forget to empty the resevoir first...