1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Bars

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Joe34, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Joe34

Joe34 Active Member

Anyone know the bar size for the maxim x. Wanna do drag bars and bar mirriors i think.

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

al xj's are 7/8 inch bars

Maxim-X likes this.
  3. Joe34

Joe34 Active Member

Great thanks.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Careful when choosing drag bars. You may need a different riser to keep them from dinging your tank.

Maxim-X likes this.
  5. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    I have drag bars and the stock switches will bang into your tank for sure. You can however add to the steering stop on the tree to prevent this without losing anything other than just a little less full lock which you only really used when maneuvering the bike out the garage, 3 point turns etc and not really while riding proper. I had a couple of hose clamps on that stopper for a while before I eventually swapped out the switches.

6. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

Has anyone run across a list of XJs and which aftermarket bars to closest to stock?

7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

www.emgo.com has a wide assortment of bars just need to know your stats rise width pull back width and center width

http://www.emgo.com/index.php/catalogs they do not do direct sales but the link is to the catalogs

8. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

XJ550H, thanks for the link. I've not see the full Emgo catalog. I know the handlebars I have are not original (too clean), but they are rough enough that I might replace them while I'm doing everything else. As near as I can tall, they seem to be the Emgo or BikeMaster GP Touring. I just don't know what the original measurements were for the XJ 650 RJ.

Attached Files:

9. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

A lot of us "older" members like the EMGO Classics, or the EMGO Daytona bars.

10. Wintersdark

Wintersdark Well-Known Member

I'm new, but I really like the Emgo Daytona's personally. Don't mind the kind of odd windscreen position, it's taped in place while paint dries on my mounts. Pretty stockish relative to Seca bars

Attached Files:

11. sybe

sybe Active Member

Renthal makes a nice light handle bar.

12. DenCon509

DenCon509 Member

13. apotheon

apotheon New Member

I've been shopping for some (classic off-road style) handlebars, and I haven't managed to figure out how those stats translate to an answer for the all-important question:

Will my stock controls fit on the ends of these bars?

Alternative question: Where do I get non-stock controls that fit better on bars with shorter ends and don't require any chicanery to connect up with stock wiring on my '81 XJ650 Maxim?

14. Wintersdark

Wintersdark Well-Known Member

Is it any different? I put Emgo Daytona Touring bars on my 82 Maxim 750 (replacing the awful stock buckhorn bars) and my controls fit just fine on the Emgo bars - got a picture up a post or three.

The stock controls are pretty generic, really. Well, other than the enrichment lever I suppose, but that's got nothing to do with the handlebars.

If you go longer, you may have issues with cable length, and if you go shorter you may (eventually at least) want shorter cables or you'll end up with the cable situation I have where your clutch cable is just too long and loops out by the headlight, but that's just cosmetic.

15. apotheon

apotheon New Member

In a word . . . yes.

It can be different. I have some classic offroad-style bars on the bike right now, having replaced the stock bars so my wrists won't hurt after riding and I can have mirrors at an angle that lets me see something other than my shoulders. Unfortunately, everything on the bar-ends (controls/levers and grips) are shoved in so tightly they're crammed up against the first bend in the bar on each side and the bar ends stop short of the ends of the grips by about half an inch.

The measurements people use to refer to handlebar sizes don't seem to give much guidance on the length of the part of the bar that matters for purposes of fitting the controls on it. I guess I should just do some trigonometry and write a program to extract the lengths of the bar ends from a comparison of all the other sections that have measurements -- or just go visit motorcycle parts shops with a tape measure.

16. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

k-moe likes this.
  17. jsngrimm

jsngrimm Member

I have these MSR steel dirt bike style bars on my '82 XJ650 Maxim and they fit fine, controls come close to the bends but they all fit without any issues, and I didn't have to re route or mess with length on any cables. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/947/1592/MSR-Carbon-Steel-7-8"-Handlebar

18. apotheon

apotheon New Member

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks. I'll dig around there, though it doesn't look like Renthal is very big on the classic style so far.

What did you choose on the "size" drop-down for that? This page seems to refer to a general class of bars, instead of a specific handlebar product.

19. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

if you look at the rockymtn site the "size" is a particular bend, cross that to the renthal site to see exactly what the bend dimensions are, then you have something to go by. but there is no guarantee a msr bar is exactly the same as a renthal bar.
    i have renthal 971-08 and have about a half inch extra on "f".
    watch ebay

20. J.S.

J.S. New Member

I got a stock one on my Yamaha XJ 650 (4K0/Seca) and I'm looking for a more comfy and mayby a tiny bit taller classic handlebar for touring. Is the
    EMGO 7/8 CLASSIC HANDLEBAR CHROME UNIVERSAL very different from stock??