1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Biggo,s Covid XJ900f Rebuild

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by biggo, Nov 10, 2020.

1. biggo

biggo Member

I have a 1986 XJ900F that I have owned for over 30 years so when I see a non-runner for sale for $400 I thought it must be good as a spares bike. We went into COVID lockdown here in New Zealand so I though I would try and get it running. Some oil down the bores got it turning over a strip of the carbs and the exhaust borrowed from my other XJ and she ran. Should I strip or should I re build that was the question ?

Attached Files:

2. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    My thoughts go to what is it worth to you. I am more of a rehab and make it a nice runner guy. Rather than a restore and make it a museum like piece. I appreciate the time, effort, cost and effect of the piece by piece restoration but don't have the dedication to the project. There are bikes out there that are worth more when done due to their own history but I have not had one yet. The cost of going from a nice safe daily rider to the perfect show piece goes up fast.
    What ever you do with it, primarily..... Have Fun!
    John

Andrew Nichols likes this.
  3. Marchy

Marchy Member

4. Marchy

Marchy Member

I’m about to do the same thing 84 750 it does come down to what’s the purpose I just like taking things apart and making them better

Andrew Nichols likes this.
  5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

If your other XJ is your everyday runner you can take your time over the rebuild depending on how much you intend to spend on it. What exhaust system do you have on the bike?

XJ_theodore likes this.
  6. biggo

biggo Member

My other XJ is my nice day ride that I am very attached too. My son wants it when I am past riding and I am sure it will mean the same to him. The exhaust on the other bike is totally shot however I have a 4 into 1 system that I will swap with a reasonable aftermarket exhaust with a friend who is doing a cafe racer XJ

7. biggo

biggo Member

Hi John .

The decision I made was to do a rebuild on a budget but to get a good reliable everyday runner .

Phil :)

Fuller56 likes this.
  8. biggo

biggo Member

So I have established the bike has good compressions on all cylinders but Carbs still need some TLC . Time to strip the old girl down and see what else we need. :)
    • Frame is surprisingly good condition was able to get sandblasted before lockdown but not powdercoated or painted so decided to go for brush pained hammerite finish.
    • Front forks leaking but I have a spare set in the shed so work out which ones are best and refurb as required.
    • Steering bearings knackered so got some bearings with built in seals
    • 4 times carb overhaul kits and brass fuel tee piece ordered.
    • New swing arm bearings and clean and paint as required
    • Wiring loom cleaned and all connectors treated with white vinegar / Baking soda and finally ACF50 all connection like new now :)
    • New fusebox fitted
    • Dash housing repaired from previous drop
    • All brake calipers and master cylinders stripped and clean a couple of new seals required
    • 2nd hand exhaust welded up as required and painted with VHT paint.
    • Engine just cleaned and serviced before re fitting

Attached Files:

9. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Glad to hear the refurbish is going well. Looks like it is going to be a real nice job, something to be proud of. Watch your budget creep. I have a Midnight Maxim 750 I picked up VERY inexpensively (initially anyway) and had it going nicely and then decided to fix this, then that and now have got my own Project Creep going on! But is not going to be as extensive as yours.
    John

biggo likes this.
  10. biggo

biggo Member

Good degrease and clean off of engine . Some of the exhaust studs were quiet rusty when dismantled so run a die down then an I dont want to shear one of those off.
    As I am doing this on my own in lockdown I think I will fit the frame to the engine while its on its side. Airbox fitted first as I know there is no wat to get it in after motor installed. I want to keep this stock no pod filters etc . Also checked generator brushes which were like new and cleaned and painted starter motor and generally cleaned up all electrical connections etc. 20200328_131713.jpg 20200328_195824.jpg 20200329_095357.jpg 20200329_095405.jpg 20200329_095413.jpg

Franz and Yammaat like this.
  11. Marchy

Marchy Member

Wow seeing that gets a little intimidating on me doing mine.......I’m still on fence about picking up this 84 750s motor wise.....any suggestions when I go have a look ?

12. biggo

biggo Member

These bikes are not the most difficult to work . I would check engine out if it runs that may be the difference between an engine re build or not which can add plenty of $$.
    My Plan is to get this running a good functional bike not a show bike but safe and practical > I intend to leave it standard except maybe some minor Farkles . Good luck with your bike :)

Phil

13. Marchy

Marchy Member

Hey Phil so just got back from a 4h round trip to pick it up I couldn’t resist it....but severe rust in tank should I just assume and go ahead with motor tare down or just the carbs?

14. biggo

biggo Member

Hey Marchy. Personally I would try and get it running first just so you can make a reasonable assessment before stripping . unless you are going for full rebuild anyway.
    My other XJ rusted ot the back of the tank many years ago, I was able to solder up pinholes and used POR15 tank liner kit that was about 20 years ago and its still holding up OK

15. Marchy

Marchy Member

Hey Phil

got ahold of the bike yesterday night and
    ya think I am going rebuild just cuz the neglect and I am planning on putting money into this one as a show piece......could you direct me to any good threads

16. biggo

biggo Member

So engine in and secure next I think is rear swingarm.
    Replaced swingarm bearings getting outer race out of swingarm proved challenging.
    I had a bearing puller I used on some head bearings that looked like it may do the job . Needed a bit of modification and then how do I knock it out of a blind hole :rolleyes:
    Solution was to drill a hole to allow a punch through from the other side .
    New bearings in so clean off swingarm and paint then fitted to bike 20200329_121537.jpg 20200329_123812.jpg 20200329_121537.jpg 20200329_123812.jpg 20200329_154032.jpg 20200329_154035.jpg 20200331_104149.jpg 20200331_104156.jpg

Franz and Yammaat like this.
  17. Marchy

Marchy Member

So that swing arm is painted right?

18. biggo

biggo Member

Correct I just used spray can of wheel silver. Happy with result

Fuller56 likes this.
  19. biggo

biggo Member

Next to put on new Steering bearings trfot front forks and wheels on so I can stand bike up . All going to plan so thats good :) 20200331_110608.jpg 20200331_114257.jpg 20200331_123024.jpg 20200331_123031.jpg 20200331_130657.jpg

Minimutly, Franz and Yammaat like this.
  20. biggo

biggo Member