1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Bowl paper gasket D.I.Y. ??

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by amiel1157, May 19, 2020.

1. amiel1157

amiel1157 Member

Hi if i use a D.I.Y. carburetor bowl gasket.. thin as 4 sheets of paper.. will it have a bad effect?? I can't go out and buy original parts at the moment.. i ask because i notice on one of my XJ650 2 carbs use d.i.y. gaskets and the sparkplugs is very black and with soot but dry.. while the 2 carbs with original thick gasket at fine.. brown in color.

2. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Nothing wrong with a homemade gasket. Cereal boxes work great. The thickness will not have any effect on the mixture as the fuel level is determined by the float which is fixed to the carb body.

Franz likes this.
  3. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

But it will slightly affect the volume of fuel in the bowl

amiel1157 likes this.
  4. amiel1157

amiel1157 Member

if you look inside the bowl there is a small brass "jet" inside the small hole on the side of the bowl i think its the "enrichment well"? im not 100% sure.. if i used the really thin gasket and the pipe that goes inside this well is going to be diving deeper in the hole? right? would this cause a rich mixture??

or what if the really tiny jet inside the hole was damage or made bigger via poor method of cleaning like jaming a pointy wire inside, what will be the effect? sorry to ask too many questions

5. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

The jet is almost at the bottom of the hole in the mating surface. The hole in the bowl is for the fuel to get to the jet.

I have not measured the depth of hole vs length of tube, but I can tell you the bowl can fit on the body with NO gasket so that simply means the tube is a fair bit shorter. No worry about interference there.

I use dulcimer wire to clear the jet, then plenty of spray And compressed to clean it. I don’t force any wire. I would not recommend drilling to enlarge to jet. I’ve seen it done, had several bowls it was done to, and had to toss every one cuz it would flood carbs on cold startup.

amiel1157 likes this.
  6. amiel1157

amiel1157 Member

Yess thank you very much this is what i was hoping for! I really thought the brass tube was long enough to reach the bottom of the bowl.. Thank.you.sir!