1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Wanted Carbs for 1985/86 air cooled XJ700

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by micnorian14, Jan 11, 2020.

1. micnorian14

micnorian14 New Member

94514e6db5c79d82f5bc480b8389d6f9.0.jpg IMG_20200110_032807782.jpg Bought an 86 xj700 for cheap, solved the electrical issue PO couldn't troubleshoot. Unfortunately it sat full of ethanol for a decade, now the carbs are just too far gone to be saved. CDI was chopped out for some dumb reason too.

2. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

I have couple of sets of carbs
    Set as is or a rebuilt set ?

3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

If you think it is just the diaphragms these guys are great...but you will find a few folks on here will be glad to sell you a full rack of carbs.
    http://jbmindustries.com/Dimensions.html
    I replaced my XS1100 diaphragms from the above link...great product. Hope you can find a set or fix the ones you have.

4. micnorian14

micnorian14 New Member

I've only just today managed to unseize the butterfly valves...snapped some float posts doing it...at this point any set of used carbs would be in better condition that these. Can you PM me a quote? Also a known good CDI...people on eBay want $100 for unknown condition CDI. Pfft

5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Yep I am with you, if you snapped more than one float post I would go for a full rack. Next soak the whole rack in a 5 gal bucket of something until those throttle valves start to work. If they are that bad anyway you could even hit them with B12 chem tool but then you will have to removed the throttle shafts and replace the seals. There are a few folks on here that I am sure will PM you soon with carb info and see what you need.

6. micnorian14

micnorian14 New Member

@Toomanybikes hooked me up with a partial set of carbs in much better condition than mine, as well as the correct CDI, and even threw in the master wiring harness for a fantastic deal. This is everything I needed to get this thing up and running, all in one care package. Thank you xjbikes forum, and thank you @Toomanybikes for the fantastic service! IMG_20200125_134033772.jpg

Timbox likes this.
  7. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Your “about” page says “ in carburetor hell”———
    Naaaah.......try this—-
    4E9DC372-D722-4752-9F3B-F5CA79E74EB3.jpeg
    That’s about half of them.....

Timbox likes this.