1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

charger test port

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by XJ550H, Mar 24, 2021.

1. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

this looks interesting mount directly to right sidecover (blasphemy) or other conveniant access area.
    for charging testing battery/charging system output.
    plug in a usb charger port to it.
    end to end 13 inches 12 awg wire
    also found a 10 awg wire maybe use as a jump start port HMMMMM.

Electop SAE Power Socket Sidewall Port

charger port.JPG

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  2. XJ550H

add this to it it does conflict with XJ alt out put specs
    Mroinge 5V 4.8A Motorcycle USB Charger SAE to USB Adapter with Voltage Current Display,

usb port test.JPG

3. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

I hard-wired an IEC female connector to my battery and modded the charger leads with another one (male) so that I can plug it in without messing around. It also functions as a power outlet if I ever go camping (not likely these days), or carry a 12V tyre pump.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I've seen those used to allow the easy removal of a top-box that has a brakelight.

5. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I have a "pig tail" with a capped plug that came with my battery tender - attached leads to the battery and stuff the other end up under the tail light bracket when not in use.

I have also used it to to attach a trickle charger and when using a voltmeter when checking voltes on the battery while cranking. The wire isn't heavy enough for jump starting.

I could use it if I needed to add a USB adapter, or attach a volt meter to my "dashboard."

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    Huntchuks likes this.
  6. XJ550H

I use that cable too I just like the idea of the port so I dont have to remove seat .
    with the 10 ga wire setup it should have enough current carrying ability to do a boost when battery may be too low to start but it would not be enough to turn a starter on a dead battery. there are also mating wires setup from a meter to 10 feet to use a s a booster. not sure if this port could be used as a jump port.

I made a set of probes for my meter to plug into the trickle charger cable so I can do my battery/voltage checks and not have to hold probes or have aligator clips fall off.

I just like the idea of a hard mount because it is connected directly to battery

7. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

I've often been tempted to make the same mod. I did it with my fjr1300, since the battery is hard to reach, and it works great. Used heavy enough wire that I can power my air compressor off it, if needed.

Timbox likes this.